Ellenita Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 This is unbelievable! [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3833693.stm"]New Bible Translation[/url] Endorsed by the archbishop of Canterbury.....
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 [quote]Dr Williams said he hoped the new translation would "spread in epidemic profusion through religious and irreligious alike".[/quote] "Epidemic" being the operative word...
DancesforLove Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 I thoroughly disagree with that. I do not agree with same-sex mariages and would never be involved in one but I do not think gays should be hated. With that said, I should add that I do not think same-sex marriages should be allowed in the church strictly because if you are going to say that you are a Catholic and believe the teachings of the church and Bible then you should obey the church and Bible to your best ability and I believe that being gay, you are commiting a very big sin therefore you can't truthfully declare that you are Catholic.
thicke Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 MC Just needs to update his song.... "The devil tried crusades, schizims, reformations and new bible translations."
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 I cannot believe people think demon possesion can be explained by mental illness. It's all part of Satans plan. Check out the book "The Antichrist".
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 The KJV is the second worst Bible behind this.
RandomProddy Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 [quote name='thedude' date='Jun 26 2004, 12:18 AM'] The KJV is the second worst Bible behind this. [/quote] Good for you
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 [quote] The KJV is the second worst Bible behind this. [/quote] Not true. I have read a version, though I can't remember which, in which Jesus handed copies of the Bible to the Apostles at the Last Supper and said, "Take and read, this is my word." I prefer the Navarre, the NAB, the DR, and the LV.
StColette Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 25 2004, 05:20 PM'] Not true. I have read a version, though I can't remember which, in which Jesus handed copies of the Bible to the Apostles at the Last Supper and said, "Take and read, this is my word." [/quote]
Soldier4Him Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 That's Bible spam!!!!! Take this, this is my word? True, but not at the last supper!!!!!!
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted June 25, 2004 Posted June 25, 2004 [quote name='RandomProddy' date='Jun 25 2004, 06:19 PM'] Good for you [/quote] I didn't notice you weren't a Catholic. Let me present my assumption in a more friendly way: As a Catholic I think the KJV is a bad translation.
Phikoz Posted June 26, 2004 Posted June 26, 2004 i would rather call this a "bible re-write" than a translation.
Seatbelt Blue Posted June 26, 2004 Posted June 26, 2004 You know, this anti-KJV-ism seems more like a zealous rejection of KJV-onlyism than an actual opinion. While the KJV - like all translations - has flaws, it has had an influence on the English language comparable only to Shakespeare. It is beautifully written, poetic, and very prayerful. I keep a KJV as I find it helps get me in a more reverent mood than the rather harsh English of modern translations. English lost some of her poetry a few centuries ago, and the KJV is a relic of that time. In addition, the care taken in making sure the translation was _skillfully written_ is unmatched in any translation before or since, although I hear the Jerusalem is very poetic.
StColette Posted June 26, 2004 Posted June 26, 2004 I'll just stick with my Duoay Rheims version. The "thou(s)" in it are always fun lol
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now