An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is love enough?

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Is our example of a loving relationship with god no matter whether one is hounded by sin or not enough to save souls or should that relationship shine forth in our love for others?

I personally think we don't realise how many we have saved through both and how many peoples souls have begun the journey of salvation in that they now question the worlds authority or even capability to speak the whole truth through contact with us in that we are not believe or burn, convert or die and are happy to chat with non believers on a whole host of issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
On 01/02/2018 at 3:02 AM, linate said:

Yeah the Beatles are young in this one. I think I felt all lovey dovey more when I was younger it was more of a feeling than a conscience decision, don't get me wrong I love feeling good but I think years of sin has hardened my heart, my heart is unwell, I really do need a second chance at being born again, I need a miracle of conversion of my heart and renewal of my mind. I got that miracle 16 years ago and I was filled with wonder and awe of people, the bible and other church writings and mother nature, I lost it overtime because I started drinking and drugging again which leads to increased lust for me, and lust is hellbound/without the spirit of love or at least you become an object of gods wrath then have to numb out with more drugs,alcohol,television,spending, more more more. I hate it!

GreenScapularedHuman

Depends on what you mean by 'enough for' or for what 'purpose'. Love in the Christian/Catholic context is a lot more than just feelings it is charity and goodwill... and a whole lot more. The two greatest commandments is in summary to love god and love our neighbor (who is each and everyone, but moreover those who are close to us and in need, even our enemies). From memory of my theology classes the two commandments could be summed in the first, love of god, since if one loves god one will do what god wills which is perfect thus all that needs to be done will be done... charity for all the bible and the church frequently cites as needed for salvation, Paul says that without charity he has nothing and Jesus says that he will say he knows not those who did not care for those who were in need... So for in a Catholic view salvation? Yes. For a happy life? Maybe but unlikely due to practical realities of life/existence. For meeting one's basic needs? Very unlikely. But I suppose one could argue that in a much more perfect Christian society one's basic needs and happiness would be reasonably met... but that is clearly not the case now and has not been the case in many many places.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

People in the modern world are very fearful, and if your scared of people you won't invite them over for a cup of tea or accept there invitation. Individualism perhaps, when the church is meant to be of one heart and mind, a parish community living in unity.

And if the church is so fragmented one has to ask himself or herself do i truly love God and follow his way because perfect love drives out all fear

Fear of loosing material perhaps also, loosing money, holidays etc

If these be the reasons then we have become lovers of self and not god at all.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Or lovers of family and the world. Jesus in the gospels gives an example that the way must come 1st, "he that loves mother and father more then me is not worthy of me, he that loves son or daughter more then me is not worthy of me. If you loose your life you will gain it, if you gain your life you will loose it." If we love god more then anything with the time we give we will be able to love others, otherwise we cant. Anyone or thing can become an idol.

All things fall into there correct place when we love god 1st, nothing to fear. I don't love god fully because I give drugs and alcohol to much time, therefore I have fear.

6 minutes ago, Tab'le De'Bah-Rye said:

Much time can be spent with family and others talking about god, praying, studying his word and saints and sacred tradition etc, in doing so we are loving god and inviting him into the relationship. Perhaps we feel we don't know god so we don't invite him in, but we must even if we are not so wise or knowledgeble because he wants in on our lives to teach us wisdom and knowledge.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye