OnlySunshine Posted February 25, 2018 Posted February 25, 2018 (edited) I can barely contain my excitement! After a very serious talk with my mom about my future career goals, I realized that I was not achieving my lifelong dream of working in veterinary medicine. I have had a serious desire to work with animals since I was in elementary school. I researched various opportunities and originally thought about majoring in animal behavior and/or psychology but it would require me to move away to attend school on-campus, which isn't a big deal, but I would be spending more money on a degree that really can't get me anywhere because psychology is a liberal arts major and requires graduate education to get anywhere financially. I realized that animal behavior was not going to fulfill my desire of working hands-on with animals because you mostly observe them - not handle them. Anyway, after thinking long and hard about what I should do, I researched my options and found out that there is an AVMA-approved school that offers an Associate in Science and Bachelor of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology where the courses are 100% online and there are periods of practicum experience that I can complete in my hometown! The great thing is that I can complete the degree while working at the same time. The program is very comprehensive and the courses are incredibly interesting. I think this is the most excited I've felt in a long time which says a lot about my decision and I'm proud of myself for committing to achieving this goal. I cannot wait to get started. I applied to the school and am in the process of completing the admission requirement checklist. Part of it requires a minimum of 40 hours observing a veterinarian and vet tech performing various procedures and also ask questions regarding regular working hours, wages, and opportunities. I have a veterinary clinic in mind - the one we have used for our last two dogs. The veterinarian is incredibly compassionate and very smart and I think I would learn so much from her. Please say some prayers that I am able to do the observation period with the veterinarian and I am admitted to the program. Thank you! Edited February 25, 2018 by OnlySunshine
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now