cmotherofpirl Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 Go here to get the readings right: [url="http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Vespers.html"]http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display...SA/Vespers.html[/url]
cmotherofpirl Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 One of the great things about the Liturgy of the Hours is that it puts your prayer life in proper perspective: most of the focus is on praise and adoration, instead of intersession.
RemnantRules Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 Ya St. Joseph's guide is great. I finally picked up the Christian Prayer book, i have always had the shorter one or i'd look on the internet. Everybody has said most of what i'd say so good job everybody! Oh one other thing it helps you with the Psalms b/c all the Ant. are of the Psalms except of course the Canticle and a few others. i personally like Friday nights b/c of Psalm 88. umm so yea hope everyone has helped everybody. lol
qfnol31 Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 It used to be a mortal sin for religious missing the Hours. They used to call it onus diei, but now it's Opus Dei!
Good Friday Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 [quote name='cmotherofpirl']I started saying it years ago after reading a marvelous novel called In this House of Brede.[/quote] I've seen the movie, wasn't aware that there was a novel. I'll have to look for the novel now, because I really liked the movie. As for the Liturgy of the Hours, it's awesome. My priest gave me a little book called [i]Shorter Christian Prayer[/i], which is basically the Liturgy of the Hours in an abbreviated form (the full form is four volumes ). I've been praying it on and off -- I do most things on and off, I don't know if y'all have noticed -- since before my confirmation.
Philippe Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 um question... do these change daily or is it always the same vespers?
qfnol31 Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 (edited) It changes each day. It's so awesome! (It's on a 4-week cycle, which changes with the seasons). Edited July 7, 2004 by qfnol31
Philippe Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 but then if u buy a book then wouldnt the book be only good for one day or are there like a dozen versions that just circulate?
qfnol31 Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 They just circulate. I got the 4 volume, which has more prayers in it.
Philippe Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 its a lil expensive 140 bux isnt fittin well in my budget right now
Philippe Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 is there a cheaper version of the 4 volumes? im rreally trying to make my prayer life better cause its really weak... would this help?
qfnol31 Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 You can get the 1 vol. or the "Shorter Christian Prayer," both of which are cheaper.
Philippe Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 o and like at the abbey they do set prayersa ll the time throughout the day like vespers... do they just follow the liturgy of the hours?
qfnol31 Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 Yep, Vespers and all else are included in the Liturgy of the Hours. Normally they do Morning and Evening Prayer (priests).
-I---Love Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 The hardback version of the compiled Christian Prayer into one volume I saw for $32. I think it should be cheaper in the vinyl bound if you can get that one. The compiled version is great!!!
thicke Posted July 7, 2004 Posted July 7, 2004 (edited) Here's the single volume. IIRC, it only has Morning, Evening and Night prayer. I'm not sure because I use the four volume set, which has everything. [url="http://www.pauline.org/store/moreinfo/0819814482.html"]http://www.pauline.org/store/moreinfo/0819814482.html[/url] Keep in mind that most religious, unless they live and pray in a community, are only required to pray morning and evening prayer. Edited July 7, 2004 by thicke
Philippe Posted July 9, 2004 Posted July 9, 2004 question... are the prayers shortened in the Christian Prayers or do they just take out the others
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now