An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Singular invention should be credited with bringing humanity into the modern times?

Didacus

Which Invention/discovery?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of course I have a pic of my own, but as the author of the poll I would like to let others reply before I chime in my own opinion.

Cheers!

In my opinion, without a doubt, it is the printing press.  Printing books quickly and cheaply allowed the documentation and dissemination of human knowledge.    That allowed the exponential growth in the body of human knowledge as we weren’t limited to mostly verbal knowledge for the majority of people.    

electricity

without the power of electricity,  day to day living as we know it would come to a screeching halt.  no running water or sewage or refrigeration for food , no lights, no internet, no cell phones, the list gos on and and on.

the amish are the only ones who could survive.

It’s safe to say most people couldn't live without our modern conveniences, electricity brings,  so if we suddenly had to survive without them, we’d lose our minds (or most likely die).

Personally I think electricity, because whenever it goes out it's like staring into the yawning jaws of a soul extinguishing void. Real intense. 

I've lived without electricity for a year and it didn't drive me crazy - I just found other things to do, used candles and oil lanterns, wood stove, etc. I do think it's great but not so sure it's as important an invention as a lot of life saving medicines we have now.  They have kept us alive long enough to be able to invent all the other things. But let's face it, all of them are pretty fantastic.

Edited by cruciatacara

Credo in Deum

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement that it was the printing press.  That invention impacted and changed society more than anything else; much like how the internet changed our own society. 

Information is power. 

On 11/25/2018 at 1:40 AM, Credo in Deum said:

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement that it was the printing press.  That invention impacted and changed society more than anything else; much like how the internet changed our own society. 

Information is power. 

I notice you said information is power. The typical saying I hear is "knowledge is power". There are other ways of acquiring knowledge instead of the written word. The Gospel was preached, not written, originally.  During most of human history the majority were illiterate and knowledge was transferred other ways... but it's true that the written word is needed to spread "information " i.e. "news" i.e. "gossip " ... the knowing of which is a type of worldly power...

On 11/26/2018 at 11:01 AM, dominicansoul said:

the toothbrush

Werd.  Or maybe painkillers! I know, I know, opioid crisis. But I'm glad they are available for surgeries, broken bones, childbirth etc. 

Define "modern era" and its characteristics, since most of those enabled a major change in humanity when they occurred.  You could also include fire, the internal combustion engine, and computers.

On the negative side, one could also include the birth control pill on the list, since it really enabled the sexual morals mess we are in today by divorcing (pardon the pun) the sexual act from pregnancy - it turned our "reproductive system" into the "recreation system". 

Edited by Norseman82

3 hours ago, Norseman82 said:

Interesting. People usually think of good stuff when they think of life changing things. Or advancements. But bad stuff can change your life too. Like a car accident. 

How about the atom bomb? That's changed stuff

how about the pill (oral contraceptive's)

More than anything, the pill has had a dramatic effect on Society and morals.  Some people,  including myself, think it has been a detrimental effect,  but That's just my opinion.

I don’t think the pill rises to the level of a singular event that changed human society.   

The only two real contenders are the printing press and electricity.    Both are significant changes.   

Norseman brings up an excellent point.   What is the definition of “the” modern era?   

Society seemed to change slowly until the printing press helped educate the masses which allowed society to build on its knowledge since more people had more access to knowledge.  

Electricity eased so much labor effort for so many things and provided light for longer productivity for humans.   Even if it was to read or be with family. 

1 hour ago, Anomaly said:

I don’t think the pill rises to the level of a singular event that changed human society.   

The only two real contenders are the printing press and electricity.    Both are significant changes.   

Norseman brings up an excellent point.   What is the definition of “the” modern era?   

Society seemed to change slowly until the printing press helped educate the masses which allowed society to build on its knowledge since more people had more access to knowledge.  

Electricity eased so much labor effort for so many things and provided light for longer productivity for humans.   Even if it was to read or be with family. 

Yes. Literally humans used to be like other mammals have biphasic sleep patterns. We would go to bed shortly after it got dark, awaken in the middle of the night to do you know, whatever,  (whatever =hanky panky or seraphic contemplation<<< and then after a few hours back to sleep again. 

Electricity changed us at a biological level. (almost).

15 hours ago, Anomaly said:

before the pill:

• young couples waited to get married before living together
  • babies born out of wedlock were rare
  • other stuff too