Sign in to follow this  
susanbherald

Missionary Sisters of St. Francis of Assis

Pax_et bonum

A  quick google search came up with this link.

Although it is good to make sure a community is faithful to the Magisterium, especially with newer communities, the best way to learn about them is by contacting them. I know that is scary! But one email asking for a little information doesn't mean you're committing to anything ;) You'll learn more from them.

Discernment is a two way street. It's generally not helpful to just search and search for more and new communities. Maybe there is one community that you feel more drawn to than others, and that would be a good place to start. Contact that community, visit--truly discern, together. I wish I would have had a better grasp on this concept a few years ago! And what they say is true: just as there is no one perfect person you have to marry to be happy, there is no one perfect community you have to enter to be happy.

lanpingpug

They aren't listed as being in Youngstown anymore, not on the list of religious communities in the area on the diocese website. Not sure what is going on with them at the learning centre either. 

Kateri89

I’m not sure either.  I finally was able to get in touch with them and got an email back about a month ago.  I responded right away and haven’t heard from them since so I sent another message yesterday.

Kateri89

Update on this community.  I’ve been in contact with Mother Mary Francis but the communication was sparse.  Today I decided to just make the drive to Youngstown, OH to the parish that they’re associated with.  It’s not too far for me and I wasn’t having much success with emailing or calling so I figured I would try in person.

Anyway, it went a lot better than I expected.  I met with Mother and we talked for a little bit.  She explained that currently it’s just her and one other Sister because the community is so new that they having been working with a canon lawyer on all of the paperwork involved in the founding of a new community.  Not only that, but their novitiate house was basically just a garage and they’ve been working with a contractor to expand it.  The house is almost done and will be able to accommodate five sisters.  They also have 10 acres of land and are planning to build a hermitage and monastery as well.

They can only accept 3 vocations right now because of such limited space, however they currently have 34 applicants!  She said that they are trying to accept women who would be suited to help as founders of the community before they can expand.

Basically, their mission is to support families.  Primarily, they’re doing this through education right now via a blended learning center.  They have actual classrooms as well as online learning.  Applicants are not required to have a teaching degree, though.  Mother said that the community has a Franciscan spirituality, a Carmelite heart, and a Benedictine approach to being a self-sustaining Order.  They also have it in their constitution that they are an exclusively EF community.  From our conversation, it seemed as though she was open to the Lord leading the community in whatever direction He sees fit so perhaps they’ll have other apostolates in the future as well.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested in the community since information online is extremely limited.