Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[b]East Coast Population: [i]106,933,743 million[/i][/b] (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, D.C., Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida)

[b]West Coast Population: [i]45,175,494 million[/i][/b] (Washington, Oregon, California)

If you have any questions, just let us know.

theculturewarrior
Posted

I live in Texas and personally I love it. There is one thing that makes Texas extremely special, and that's how polite, friendly, and just plain nice people are. Texas is also great if you are finicky about liturgy. If you choose your area well, you can attend Latin Masses, Anglican Use Masses, or Eastern Catholic Masses. As far as San Antonio being divided into halves, I had never heard that, but on the northern most part of the city is my fave church, and I make pilgrimages as often as I can. It is here... [url="http://www.atonementonline.com"]http://www.atonementonline.com[/url]

I guess the main thing is to research this before you go. Don't just take our word for it. Contact Chambers of Commerce and visit official websites. City guides are great.

Just my personal POV... San Antonio would be a great city to live in.

Jake Huether
Posted

I live in California...

And unless you move next door to me...


I wouldn't recommend it.



Although my family lives here, and we have friends, and we know some REALLY GOOD Priests.

But it's not very Catholic friendly.

Mickey's_Girl
Posted

Also look up "convention and visitors bureaus" or CVBs, and ask them for "relocation information". I used to work at one, and for many cities/towns/areas, they have way more information than the Chamber of Commerce, which is often more business-focused. In other places, the Chamber is the only thing going.

MG

Posted

Hmm... I'm still hung up on Texas... But lots to think about. Hm.

Now all I need is a job offer... or a lottery win...

homeschoolmom
Posted

Minnesota

Pros:
hockey
we talk like Canadians
lots of Catholics
too blasted cold for any poisonous bugs, snakes etc
no hurricanes

cons:
no ocean (lots of lakes though)
50/50 liberal/conservative split-- we're gaining and could use all the help we could get
we talk like Canadians

Posted

I would say as the ranting raving nutcase I am... STAY AWAY FORM THE US OF A! LOL! I have my reasons. Mainly I am not a big fan of it. LOL! Which I have reasons for. I, like you, plan to bail out of my nation if it doesn't change. If Bushy stays in office for four more wars-err years- I am going to rock and roll to BC.

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jun 29 2004, 01:50 PM'] Minnesota

Pros:
we talk like Canadians


cons:
we talk like Canadians [/quote]
LOL! WI is worse. LOL!

Posted

I recommend Rhode Island. That's where I live. It's a small but pretty state, and it's the most Catholic state in the United States. Unfortunately, many people are only nominally Catholic, but you could help to make a difference.

In N. Rhode Island, we've got lots of beautiful forests and rivers. It's very rural up there. In S. Rhode Island are the gorgeous cliffs, swamps, and beaches. Rhode Island has got really nice beaches, believe me. There are many good, suburban areas, but the city of Providence isn't too far away. Providence has a charm about it. And, of course, we've got Newport, which is gorgeous.

Rhode Island is also good for oceanography. After all, URI is one of the best schools for marine biology, and Rhode Island isn't called the "Ocean State" for nuttin'. ;)

God bless,

Jen

Posted

[quote name='BeenaBobba' date='Jun 29 2004, 02:26 PM'] I recommend Rhode Island. That's where I live. It's a small but pretty state, and it's the most Catholic state in the United States. Unfortunately, many people are only nominally Catholic, but you could help to make a difference.

In N. Rhode Island, we've got lots of beautiful forests and rivers. It's very rural up there. In S. Rhode Island are the gorgeous cliffs, swamps, and beaches. Rhode Island has got really nice beaches, believe me. There are many good, suburban areas, but the city of Providence isn't too far away. Providence has a charm about it. And, of course, we've got Newport, which is gorgeous.

Rhode Island is also good for oceanography. After all, URI is one of the best schools for marine biology, and Rhode Island isn't called the "Ocean State" for nuttin'. ;)

God bless,

Jen [/quote]
Rhode Island, eh? I've got a sister in law in Greenville at Mater Ecclesiae.... Hmmm... Interesting. I'll keep an eye out.

Anyone got anything on New Orleans? Aside from it being the final resting place of Louis 'just a gigolo' Prima?

Dave :)

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='mmmerf' date='Jun 29 2004, 02:35 PM'] Anyone got anything on New Orleans? Aside from it being the final resting place of Louis 'just a gigolo' Prima?
[/quote]
They talk funny and eat funny stuff...

(says the girl from the land of the lutefisk)

crusader1234
Posted

I'm going to have to agree with Lynne, why would you want to move south at this point in the game? The Liberals just won a minority government for the first time in a considerable amount of time, and the united right has a very strong caucus meaning that your viewpoint is stronger than ever (unless you are NDP but somehow I doubt it :sweat: ). Also, like Lynne said, are you really looking forward to politics down South any more than up here? Here, you can vote for your local MP who is guaranteed to represent you. If you live in a conservative riding (they are everywhere, just move down the street and you could end up in one) then you will automatically be represented. If you move to the states, you have Bush, and Kerry - neither of which are allstar choices - or an independent who really doesnt have a chance of winning.

Oh, and hsmom, whats ironic is there are more Minnesotans, North Dakotans, and South Dakotans that talk like that then there are in all of the Maritime provinces combined (thats the only place where I can think of people that tlak like the stereotypical Canadian/Minnesotan dontchaknow?).

Posted

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 29 2004, 02:47 PM'] I'm going to have to agree with Lynne, why would you want to move south at this point in the game? The Liberals just won a minority government for the first time in a considerable amount of time, and the united right has a very strong caucus meaning that your viewpoint is stronger than ever (unless you are NDP but somehow I doubt it :sweat: ). Also, like Lynne said, are you really looking forward to politics down South any more than up here? Here, you can vote for your local MP who is guaranteed to represent you. If you live in a conservative riding (they are everywhere, just move down the street and you could end up in one) then you will automatically be represented. If you move to the states, you have Bush, and Kerry - neither of which are allstar choices - or an independent who really doesnt have a chance of winning.

Oh, and hsmom, whats ironic is there are more Minnesotans, North Dakotans, and South Dakotans that talk like that then there are in all of the Maritime provinces combined (thats the only place where I can think of people that tlak like the stereotypical Canadian/Minnesotan dontchaknow?). [/quote]
OI! I'm in the Maritimes!

Anyways... Yeah, but the States is a lot frather from Gay Marriage & Leagal pot than we are.

crusader1234
Posted

They've legalized gay marriage in more places than we have, and as for marijuana - is that really a reason to jump ship? The War on Iraq not meeting just war criterea in the Pope's eyes, the gun laws, the melting pot culture, no CBC with fair coverage of all sides of the story...

Mickey's_Girl
Posted

[quote]Here, you can vote for your local MP who is guaranteed to represent you.  If you live in a conservative riding (they are everywhere, just move down the street and you could end up in one) then you will automatically be represented.  If you move to the states, you have Bush, and Kerry - neither of which are allstar choices - or an independent who really doesnt have a chance of winning.[/quote]

Oh, now...my congressman represents me better than I have any right to expect. Besides, in the last week I've heard many Canadians say that they liked their local Conservative/NDP/Liberal person, but didn't like the national one...so I don't see that it's any different from here.

[quote]Oh, and hsmom, whats ironic is there are more Minnesotans, North Dakotans, and South Dakotans that talk like that then there are in all of the Maritime provinces combined (thats the only place where I can think of people that tlak like the stereotypical Canadian/Minnesotan dontchaknow?).[/quote]

LOL! Mmmerf could say for sure better than I can, but it seems like what Americans think of as the "Canadian" accent (like on the [i]Red Green Show[/i]) is actually more of an Ontario thing, and that the Maritimes accent is utterly different. Mmmerf?

Crusader1234--is there an Alberta or prairies accent? I just heard real Newfoundlanders the other day. It was great. :wub:

MG

Mickey's_Girl
Posted

[quote]They've legalized gay marriage in more places than we have, and as for marijuana - is that really a reason to jump ship?  [/quote]

Gay marriage legal in what, in one state? Massachusetts? I'm sure there are others in the works, but as far as I know, there's only one. Civil unions in Vermont.

[quote]The War on Iraq not meeting just war criterea in the Pope's eyes, the gun laws, the melting pot culture, no CBC with fair coverage of all sides of the story...[/quote]

I'll let the "just war" thing go, 'cause I've commented on it elsewhere. Gun laws and melting pot culture...I hear what you're saying about not liking them, but there are some aspects of American culture that you have to live here for a while to appreciate (please-I don't mean that rudely...I believe it to be the same of every country).

Re: CBC. I have to say back: NPR. Also, I've listened to CBC all last week, and I heard *plenty* of people talk about the gay marriage issue as if it were a done deal, and anyone who disagrees with it is against human rights and horrifyingly discriminatory. I heard hardly any "discussion" whatsoever. One week does not full understanding make, of course...but I use the example to illustrate that it really isn't any *worse* in the US on the gay marriage issue, and certainly here it's still an up-for-grabs topick in the media.

Hee hee. Crusader1234, in my last few posts I've been arguing with you a lot. It's really funny, too, 'cause I've been loving more on Canada now than I ever have been. I guess I just get my dander up when people paint the picture too rosy or too dark for either the US or Canada. Both are wonderful countries with lots to offer, lots of problems, and an interesting relationship. We need each other (whether Americans know it, or Canadians admit it, or not).

MG

crusader1234
Posted

The red-green accent actually doesnt exist in Nature... aside from a few northern Ontario cases. The Prairies accent is actually considered to be the best one around the world out of all English becuase it is so pure or something. I forget which channel but somebody did a show on how it is very neutral and well pronounecd so it is really good for newsbroadcasters like Ashleigh Banfield (lived down my street) and stuff. When my brother went to teach ESL, he got twice as much as the rest of the people who went with him who were from all over the US and eastern Canada.

Posted

Another con you missed for minnesota- its so darn cold!!!! i hate the cold

move to washington dc-- its nice and temperate. the city is beautiful

RI is BORING no offense but I drive through there on my way to cape cod and its boring

I would say new jersey is really nice- or washington dc

new york is always good- but close to the city-

but #1 would be CALI!!!!!

crusader1234
Posted

MG

Haha, no don't worry I hate it when people paint Canadians as either too bad or too good to be true. I also hate it when peopel paint the USA to be too bad or too good to be true. I dont know... in any event, I don't really think you need us for much other than our resources - which by the way makes me angry considering the fact that your borders are closed to beef which is putting thousands and thousands of people into a situation where they are shutting down their farms even though their cows all test negative for BSE.

Mickey's_Girl
Posted

Glad we're on the same page, Crusader1234. ;)

I totally hear you about resources. It's disgusting about the BSE. And do you know about the potato debacle? PEI is reeling. One tiny patch of farm with some sort of potato disease...several years ago this was found, and so we shut down importation of PEI potatoes, supposedly temporarily...but I was told by some PEI folks that, indeed, the embargo was never lifted, and NO OTHER INSTANCES of this disease were ever found! It was a total power grab!!! Disgusting!

I'm sure it's similar with the BSE, although I will say, it's a darn sight scarier than a potato disease. But still.

I don't blame our farmers for wanting to be careful, or even for wanting to protect their livelihood by playing games with imports. It's hard to be a farmer these days. But I do blame the people in charge who make the rules, who really should know better and be more responsible.

Sigh.

MG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...