An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can we vote for ANY of these people!?

dUSt

Democratic%20presidential%20candidates%2

Biden was my only hope because I could sorta justify him over Trump based on Biden's support of the Hyde Amendment and the thought that if he were to nominate someone to the supreme court, he wouldn't use abortion as a litmus test...

But now, even he as gone full on pro-abortion.

Ugh. So frustrating.

Lilllabettt
3 hours ago, dUSt said:

Democratic%20presidential%20candidates%2

Biden was my only hope because I could sorta justify him over Trump based on Biden's support of the Hyde Amendment and the thought that if he were to nominate someone to the supreme court, he wouldn't use abortion as a litmus test...

But now, even he as gone full on pro-abortion.

Ugh. So frustrating.

Biden is probably lying, he doesnt really care that much about abortion rights. Hes probably the best of the bunch. Am I voting for him? No. 

It's sad because in many ways I'm more of a Democrat and now that the gay marriage ship has sailed I dont factor that in so much. But the late term abortion stuff is indicative of satanic levels of depravity so ... No. 

Last nights debate with all the radical far left  political views practically guarantees a second term for Trump 

Not A Mallard

Catholic Twitter is in love with Marianne Williamson, so that must mean she's okay, right?

I don't know. I don't follow politics.

Not A Mallard
13 hours ago, Not A Mallard said:

Catholic Twitter is in love with Marianne Williamson, so that must mean she's okay, right?

I don't know. I don't follow politics.

Whelp, just found out she's pro-abortion. Nevermind.

A Catholic would be guilty of formal cooperation in evil, and so unworthy to present himself for Holy Communion, if he were to deliberately vote for a candidate precisely because of the candidate’s permissive stand on abortion and/or euthanasia. When a Catholic does not share a candidate’s stand in favour of abortion and/or euthanasia, but votes for that candidate for other reasons, it is considered remote material cooperation, which can be permitted in the presence of proportionate reasons.

- some smart catholic guy

Lilllabettt
13 minutes ago, MIKolbe said:

A Catholic would be guilty of formal cooperation in evil, and so unworthy to present himself for Holy Communion, if he were to deliberately vote for a candidate precisely because of the candidate’s permissive stand on abortion and/or euthanasia. When a Catholic does not share a candidate’s stand in favour of abortion and/or euthanasia, but votes for that candidate for other reasons, it is considered remote material cooperation, which can be permitted in the presence of proportionate reasons.

- some smart catholic guy

So what's proportionate to abortion... that's the real question.  Prenatal people are the only humans our law explicitly declares undeserving of human rights. And they literally cant defend themselves and are being murdered millions at a time with no justice or redress possible.  

You can say what you want about Trump, and most people do. But, he is the most pro-life president to date. For example, law signed by Trump allowing states to restrict state Medicaid funds from going to Planned Parenthood.     So, on the issue of abortion, Trump wins by far over all the Dem president wannabes. No president, no nominee of the Republican Party has ever stated he would name pro-life Supreme Court justices, not one, not even Ronald Reagan.  Trump was the first one to publicly pledge to put a pro-life Supreme Court justice on the bench. 

Lilllabettt
20 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

iono...

I guess that's where prudential judgment comes into play??

or ask the smart guy who said it.....

The smart guy who said it was Cardinal Ratzinger. He was speaking theoretically. 

I could see it applying to pro choice to killers if abortion were pretty rare. Or to those people who favor keeping abortion legal in instances of "self defense" eg life of the mother.  

Cant fathom a reason proportionate to vote for someone in favor of late term abortion on demand, in a country in which thousands of late term prenatal people are butchered every year, 80% for elective reasons. 

One catholic blogger (God rest his soul) thought about voting a lot. His general argument against it with lots of links to his other thoughts:

https://zippycatholic.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/the-bus-stops-here/

Some other particular considerations:

On voting as a principled act, not a pragmatic one - https://zippycatholic.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/reconciled-to-the-king/

The dangers of voting as a way to spread cooperation with evil far and wide: https://zippycatholic.wordpress.com/2008/11/09/the-mass-marketing-of-hell/

A hypothesis on what voting really is about - https://zippycatholic.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/the-function-of-universal-suffrage-democratic-elections/

I find the arguments compelling but I haven't dug into it very deeply nor could I offer any kind of formal defence of his position. He says himself "this entire analysis, once we’ve gotten past the initial step of avoiding formal cooperation with evil, is a prudential analysis." And the formal cooperation bit has been already covered by a poster above. :)

dominicansoul

I’m voting for Trump.  The Democrat party platform is anti God, anti life, aggressive LGBTQ promotion, mucho government control over every fathom of our lives, tearing down our Constitution every chance they get.  Don’t let them fool you.  I still cannot fathom how any catholic can vote Democrat.  I don’t think there is any reason to.  How can you believe in their fake promises and put aside their slaughter of children?  Literal infanticide!  The vote has come up by Republicans 100 times in the house to protect babies born accidentally in abortions, and every single time the Democrat party majority blocks that protection!  

Even if the democrats were to suddenly become Prolife, the Catholic Church has always condemned communism...Democrats want total government control over every aspect of our lives, taxation to the hilt to pay for services we don’t have any say in, unfair practices like “distribution of wealth,” when it’s  none of the governments business what I do with my money...censorship of speech, forcing us to accept immoral lifestyles OR ELSE....a totally Orwellian society...

Democrats don’t want you focusing on the great economy, prison reforms, steps trump’s insured for religious liberty and Prolife measures, lowest unemployment amongst minorities EVER, etc etc etc. They will continue to force American public to see trump as the “orange man bad” because they have no chance in hell to win if they focused mainly on policies.  Compared to trump democrats have no solutions and their policies will tear down the economy and create more problems for the poor than will help them... 

Edited by dominicansoul

Well if you are gonna use Catholic teaching as a litmus test I don't think you can vote for any of the Democrat candidates or Trump (who has advocated for intrinsic evils such as torture).

If you are gonna vote on principle then you have to vote for some 3rd party candidate, because let's keep it real both Trump and all of the Dems are reprehensible.

If you are gonna vote pragmatically (or for the lesser of two evils) then I think you can vote for Biden, any other Democrat, or Trump. It is just going to come down to individual judgments about who the lesser evil would be, but that is up for debate. Same deal as 2016.

Hopefully the Dems will get trounced in a few more election cycles, and that will open up more avenues for pro-life candidates in the Democrat party.

But Republicans aren't making their case easy by continuing with the dog-whistle racism, which is gonna continue to piss off blacks and other minority groups who otherwise might tend to lean more conservative in their voting.

Both parties seem to be doing their best to polarize and live at the extremes, which is unfortunate.