An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Bluegrass/Southern Gospel

AbigailGermaine

AbigailGermaine

Was wondering about this... I am a Southern girl,proudly raised on grits, livermush, bbq, collards and bluegrass music.:farmer:

Besides the Hillbilly Thomists (who are great) does anyone know of Catholic bluegrass/Southern gospel? I really love my bluegrass as opposed to more popular music influenced Contemporary Christian music, but I wondered if there were any other Catholic options.

This weekend in VA the Hillbilly Thomists are playing at Appaloosa - an annual roots music festival that is very friendly to Catholics. (they even scheduled a Mass for Sunday morning!) you might check out the lineup and browse the songs of the other bands, you might find something.

Besides them, I don't know of any Catholic bluegrass. But many of the old greats of bluegrass sing a lot of religious tunes though they weren't Catholic. Jim & Jesse and the Louvin Brothers especially come to mind - songs like "Satan is Real" and "Matthew 24"...

Oh wait! I don't know if they still play together but a band called The Stillwater Hobos might fit your bill, they have a song called "St Therese" that the Hillbilly Thomists have covered before - they lean towards Irish music though.

Edited by chrysostom

Hillbilly Thomists are amesome. I don't know much about bluegrass music. However, I  have  heard a  very interesting hybrid of hip-hop and  bluegrass from a group called Gangstagrass:

Perfect for square dancing wearing a 10 gallon hat with shades on. I think you may get a kick out of this.Trust me, it's amesome (and clean lyrics, unlike some of their other songs). Those of you who don't particularly care for hip-hop give this bluegrass music a chance :

• 9 months later...

CFR_Franciscans are good but not bluegrass.  I love the song St Therese by the Stillwater Hobos.  If you do find other Catholic Bluegrass please let me know.