An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Sisters for Christian Community"???

OneHeart

Praised be Jesus!

Has anyone heard of the "Sisters for Christian Community"??? What is their status? Are they in union with Rome? A recognized community?  I was approached by a "sister" and am just wondering.

Thanks,

The Sisters for Christian Community is non-canonical, which means they do not have official ecclesial approbation. Many of their original members--going back to 1970--had been members of canonical communities, but chose this form of life after leaving their congregations. Women who joined SFCC left their former communities for a number of reasons, and many have remained in cordial relationship with those congregations.

At this point, they have members who have never belonged to canonical communities (that is, they join SFCC directly), and are ecumenical--that is, some of their members are Christian but not Catholic. They are international and rather diverse. I know a number of  members of this community, many of whom do work in institutional Catholic ministries. 

Some SFCCs have taken private vows, in addition to their community vows. Some still consider themselves bound by the canonical vows they took in their former congregations. In other words, it is hard to generalize about the members, though most are committed to social justice and all are committed to prayer.

You can read more about them at: https://www.sfccinternational.org/

Thanks!  Doesn't sound Catholic.  It was presented to me as being erected by a few Catholic Bishop.  But it doesn't sound like a Catholic order or congregation?

Well, the original members, and the vast majority of the current members, are Catholic. But it is noncanonical, and now admits other Christian women as members. Certainly, the Catholic members are in full communion with the Church. The two SFCCs I know best, for instance, are daily Communicants.

There is no prohibition on belonging to ecumenical organizations, after all. The Catholic members are (obviously) comfortable with the state of things. But if you are looking for a canonical congregation, this is probably not for you. 

I know one person who is a member.  She was formerly a cloistered nun - I think a Carmelite.  She is deeply religious and very spiritual.  She spent many days after 9/11 at the Javits center counseling berieved relatives.  She gives all her money away except for what she absolutely needs to put  aroof over her head and food on her table.  While she has a job and an apartment, her friends took up a collection for a retirement for her.  There is a trustee because we know well she would give all the money to people in need and never think of herself.  She is an exceptional woman and a religious sister in all the ways that count.  I don't know why she is not a member of a congregation but her life seeems to suit her well and she regards herself as a sister.

• 1 year later...
Roman Catholic

If the order is not canonical, that is have a formal relationship with the Roman Catholic Church; then they are not a Catholic order-simple as that. They may have a Catholic chrism or resemble the way Catholic Sisters work, but they are not Official Roman Catholic nuns. There are Episcopal nuns, Lutheran nuns, etc., which are all non-canonical with regard to the Catholic Church. This group is no different from the Church's prospective

The women who belong to SFCC know exactly what it is, and who they are, and do not need to be lectured on a 2 year-old thread. They are certainly not members of other denominations, so whoever "Roman Catholic" is in making their first post, they do not understand SFCCs. And the word is "charism," not "chrism." 

HollyDolly

I think they have  or did have a convent in San Antonio. To me they sound  almost like  the Schoenstatt Sisters Of Mary, who have vowed members who wear a habit, and also associates who live in the world but  are members.Some religious orders have members or associates who assist the sisters in their work.

If they have non catholic members, then they are similar to I think Taize in France.

4 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

I think they have  or did have a convent in San Antonio. To me they sound  almost like  the Schoenstatt Sisters Of Mary, who have vowed members who wear a habit, and also associates who live in the world but  are members.Some religious orders have members or associates who assist the sisters in their work.

If they have non catholic members, then they are similar to I think Taize in France.

None of the SFCCs in the US wear habits, and I don't think they have convents, though I think they have sisters in the San Antonio area. As it says on the website: "Sisters For Christian Community do not own property in common, a motherhouse or any other communal institution."

To get an idea of what they are like, check out the general website.

https://www.sfccinternational.org/

Edited by Nunsuch
added content

• 1 month later...

https://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/148091-sisters-for-christian-community/#

Hi, does anyone know if SFCC are in Australia ? I would like to find more about them.

8 hours ago, Kaska said:

Hi, does anyone know if SFCC are in Australia ? I would like to find more about them.

Yes, they are. If you go to their website, it says they are in Australia. The address to write to for local contacts is: ICCSFCC@yahoo.com

The website is: https://www.sfccinternational.org/

12 hours ago, Kaska said:

Thanks

I just answered your question.

• 1 month later...