An Old School Catholic Message Board

Donating to the Church

Lilllabettt

Providing for the Church is a precept of the Church, one of the 5, one other of which includes going to Mass on Sunday. It's a pretty big deal.

My husband used to put a couple 20s in the collection every week; he has long since completely cut them off due to his disgust at the leadership (Archdiocese of Chicago.)

It's highly awkward for me because I'm an Archdiocesan employee. And I worry about that precept.

My husband points out ex cardinal mccarrick, and how he is getting free room and board because the church wants to show him "mercy."  Then he points to his mom, who was the music director for the parish he grew up in. His father, her husband, died young from cancer; the parish saw they could save money by re-classifying the music ministry as a part time and therefore no health insurance position, and so they did. So money concerns helped them get over any compunction they had about caring for widows and orphans in his family's case. Therefore, if we give them money concerns they may get over the "mercy," and 2nd chances they feel compelled to give pedophiles.

Do you still put money in the collection basket? Or, have your donation patterns changed at all over the abuse scandals?

Are we morally obligated to donate to the parish (even when we know a % will be sent to the archdiocese)?

Edited by Lilllabettt

I used to give a lot more everyweek in the collection. Then I completely stopped. Now I give a little but not what I originally did. I still donate in other ways to help the poor. I share the same concerns/objections as your husband.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I used to give a lot more everyweek in the collection. 

I need to correct what I said. I used to give *more* everyweek in the collection. Not a lot more. All my giving has been mostly directly to the poor.

Edited by Guest

My vote is yes, still give money to the parish.   Unless they are completely corrupt and spend all the money on horrible things, they still probably do mostly good and worthy things.   A second option is to split your charitable donations to other worthwhile things. 

Either way, this is mostly something you have to work out with your husband in discussion and come to a compromise.   As you know, I’m no fan of all things Catholic, but my wife is and we contribute to the offertory.   The parish supports a lot of ministries.   I’m not happy i pay part of the salary of a priest I don’t care for, or a creepy Bishop, but the food bank, mission parish in the DR, $25k to CRS in Puerto Rico, is excellent.  I look at it that most of our money goes to something good.   Nothing is perfect, and it’s important to personally to be charitable.  I’m sure we aren’t charitable enough.  

Fr. Ripperger has a good talk over what you're required to do, and gives very good options for what you can do differently.  It's half an hour, but SO worth it.

If you're not familiar with Sensus Fidelium, they ask that for viewing the video, you donate a little or say a few prayers for the priest.  I will say those prayers for you so you don't have to worry about it.

Short story, you are required to give to the support of the Church; and that doesn't mean just your local church (though if you can, you should).  There are circumstances like what you're describing where you can (and should) avoid giving locally.  When you do give locally, if there is a specific cause - like a fundraiser for something you think is good - you can stipulate that your money is only used for that.  Giving to different Catholic charities or to good causes like supporting monks or sisters somewhere is also a great option.  

Hope this helps!

This guy also forbids watching Harry Potter and that women who have to use daycare are committing mortal sin. Zero interest on what he has to say about anything. Although maybe Lilllabettt will be interested.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

This guy also forbids watching Harry Potter and that women who have to use daycare are committing mortal sin. Zero interest on what he has to say about anything. Although maybe Lilllabettt will be interested.

Wrong on both statements.  He doesn't forbid anything - it's not his place.  He definitely recommends not watching Harry Potter - as do I.  He also doesn't say that women who have to use daycare are committing mortal sin.  He says that women who don't have to use daycare but do it anyway are doing injustice to their kids - who have a right to have a parent present.  

Neither of these subjects are discussed in this video.

Also, in general, I personally avoid calling priests "guys", even in cases where I find them to be revolting and heretics and I lose all respect for them as individuals.  This is because I still respect the office of the priesthood, and that respect demands more than referring to them as just some guys.  Just a thought - take that how you will.

I was kinda ignorant of the Church teaching on this matter.  What if I don't belong to a parish?  I tend to go to every Catholic church in the area I live.  We have tons of parishes around here.  I don't spend alot of time at one over the other.  I mean, I volunteer to teach CCD at the parish closest to me, but as far as being on their parish mailing address...nope... 

Also, I give 10 percent of my salary every month to the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist.  If a Sister needs anything, I get it for her.  I was hoping that would suffice in my donating to the Church... lol... now I'm wondering...   

I do not donate to the two collections on Sunday.  I do not feel guilt.  I stopped that - not because of the scandals but for other very good reasons.  I do donate to charity however.

I do not donate to the two collections on Sunday.  I stopped that - not because of the scandals but for other very good reasons.  I do donate to charity however.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I also live in the Archdiocese of Chicago.  I will contribute to my parish and parish school, since I trust the priests put in charge there and can keep an eye on how things are going.  However, I have cut back significantly on archdiocesan collections (the treatment of Fr. Kalchik was the nail in the coffin for me); I pretty much only give to the Catholic Charities collections, the seminary collections, the religious retirement, and some mission collections, but not the annual archdiocesan appeal.   I also gave to the scholarship fund that you can get a tax credit for.

Edited by Norseman82

1 hour ago, Norseman82 said:

I also live in the Archdiocese of Chicago.  I will contribute to my parish and parish school, since I trust the priests put in charge there and can keep an eye on how things are going.  However, I have cut back significantly on archdiocesan collections (the treatment of Fr. Kalchik was the nail in the coffin for me); I pretty much only give to the Catholic Charities collections, the seminary collections, the religious retirement, and some mission collections, but not the annual archdiocesan appeal.   I also gave to the scholarship fund that you can get a tax credit for.

Well I hate to tell ya... but the seminary is run by you-know-who. And the archdiocese gets kickbacks from the missions, catholic charities, etc. The problem with giving to the parish is they have to send a % to the archdiocese. A friend of mine has suggested covering a utility bill for the parish. That way you're not funding any nonsense further up the food chain. It seems awkward to work out however.

1 hour ago, Lilllabettt said:

Well I hate to tell ya... but the seminary is run by you-know-who. And the archdiocese gets kickbacks from the missions, catholic charities, etc. The problem with giving to the parish is they have to send a % to the archdiocese. A friend of mine has suggested covering a utility bill for the parish. That way you're not funding any nonsense further up the food chain. It seems awkward to work out however.

I did not know about the "kickback" to the archdiocese from Catholic Charities, etc., but since you work for the Archdiocese, you would know better than me.  I do know about the assessment that the Archdiocese charges each parish.  I also remember my pastor telling me earlier this year that for the annual archdiocesan appeal, "downtown" calculates a certain amount based on parish collections (I don't know if it is based on total collections or just on the weekly collection) and that total collections from parishoners from that parish must equal or exceed that amount, or else the parish will need to cover the shortfall.  But despite all that, I thought that a dropoff in pledges for the appeal might give a signal of a loss of confidence. 

I agree with the suggestion of your friend - which is one of the suggestions made in the Fr. Rippenger video - of covering a utility bill (or repair, or some improvement such as presider chairs, ambos, etc.).  However, if a donor wants to deduct such donations from their taxes, that might be difficult.  But if there is an association with 501(c)(3) status that does set up paying such expenses for parishes "off the books" so that such donations would not be subject to an assessment from "downtown", I'd certainly be interested. 

What about donations to the parish school - are they subject to such assessments / "kickbacks"?  What do think of the "Empower Illinois" donations to donate to low-income children so they can attend Catholic schools?

Edited by Norseman82

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:44 AM, Josh said:

17 hours ago, Josh said:

You're not being honest. He also says things like couples can't use NFP without grave reasons. That rock music is evil ect ect ect

Josh, keep in mind the saying "even a stopped clock is right twice a day".  Even if other things he may say may make you scratch your head, after watching the video (until the Q&A section) I find what he says to confirm what I am saying completely (and I did not watch the video until after my initial post in this thread).  What Lilllabettt and I both posted as possible strategies are contained in Fr. Ripperger's video.