Guest Posted January 20, 2020 Posted January 20, 2020 I had an uplifting experience over the past few days. Until end of April, I am struggling financially just to survive. After April, two big debts clear. Last Saturday (Monday here today) I ran out of food other than cheap and nasty (to me anyway) food I am really sick to death of having to eat to stay alive. Yesterday, my little dog and loved companion, Buddie, was ill and would not eat, not even his special treats. I resolved to take him to the vet next day and try not to worry about finances. I told Jesus that I really did trust Him even though I just could not stop worrying both about Buddie and the vet's bill. Apparently anxiety goes hand in hand with my brand of bipolar disorder - I will worry at the drop of a hat almost. I no longer made my decisions as firm when suddenly Buddie started to eat again and came back to his old self just as suddenly as he had seemed to get ill. I was so grateful to Jesus. I realised that I really could trust Him even if the situation was really worrying and everything just went wrong despite ardent prayer and trust - I realised this on a new level. I knew He was very much in my life and journey........again on a newer level.
Guest Posted January 22, 2020 Posted January 22, 2020 Vincent's Quote of the Day (St Vincent de Paul Society) Quote of the Day – January 21 "Once God has begun to do good to a creature, He continues to do so to the end (XII:389)."
Guest Posted January 24, 2020 Posted January 24, 2020 From "Read the Catechism in a Year" website. To subscribe: https://flocknote.com/catechism 27. What does it mean in practice for a person to believe in God? It means to adhere to God himself, entrusting oneself to him and giving assent to all the truths which God has revealed because God is Truth. It means to believe in one God in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Further reading: CCC 150-152, 176-178 28. What are the characteristics of faith? Faith is the supernatural virtue which is necessary for salvation. It is a free gift of God and is accessible to all who humbly seek it. The act of faith is a human act, that is, an act of the intellect of a person - prompted by the will moved by God - who freely assents to divine truth. Faith is also certain because it is founded on the Word of God; it works "through charity" (Galatians 5:6); and it continually grows through listening to the Word of God and through prayer. It is, even now, a foretaste of the joys of heaven. Further reading: CCC 153-165, 179-180, 183-184 Relics of St Therese Lisieux arrive in Australia...without her parents
Guest Posted February 8, 2020 Posted February 8, 2020 St Vincent de Paul Quote of the Day – February 7: As we empty ourselves of self and of the desire to be noticed, esteemed, and respected, God will fill our souls with graces and blessings, given to each according to the degree of perfection He demands (XIIIb:337).
Guest Posted February 12, 2020 Posted February 12, 2020 This is an interesting article on Catholic Culture "Does Consecrated Life trump Marriage, can we change our minds?", although there were no surprises for me until I read what follows at the very end of the article: Quote "That is precisely why we cover a multitude of sins when we seek sincerely and accept wholeheartedly the potentially imperfect judgment of the Church—in the matters over which she has been given authority by the Son of God." My surprise had nothing to do with consecrated life trumping marriage in any way - nor anything remotely related to these vocations or any other vocation in a way, rather my surprise is connected to another subject entirely in Catholic living. I am not going to speak to my surprise as I very much doubt there is much interest in this thread. Thankfully, I read Catholic Culture with my thinking cap on in hope with a prayer to the Holy Spirit. Now and then there are holes (in my book) in what they state.
Guest Posted February 15, 2020 Posted February 15, 2020 It is far too easy, within the current upsurge of creative input in the realm of worship, to find ourselves chasing spiritual or aesthetic experiences, as if the highest achievement of our whole pilgrimage on earth were to enter some kind of praise-induced ecstasy! I am, in fact, all in favour of spiritual experiences when they are genuine, and welcome ecstasies that are the gifts of God and not artificially induced, but if such things become the AIM of our gatherings for worship, then we have turned the gospel upside down. - Graham Kendrick, Worship From: Shalom Place - Dominican Sisters of Peace
Guest Posted February 16, 2020 Posted February 16, 2020 Why begin Mass with a procession? HERE ______________________________ Another informative and inspiriting, important, homily thread by cappie for the 6th Sunday in Ordinary Time - this time on the reasons behind the Sermon on The Mount: Excerpt: "That is our calling: to be transformed daily in the way that we live inwardly and outwardly in order to reveal to the world around us that in Jesus we have found something. We have found a new way of living. It is a way of living marked by a desire to make peace with those whom we have wronged or who have wronged us. It is a way of living marked by a respect for others for who they are not as mere objects. It is a way of living marked by a commitment to the truth so strong that our "Yes" means "Yes" and our "No", "No". Above all it is a way of living made possible only through the Grace of God, who loves us, who has redeemed us from sin and death and who makes us Holy."
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now