An Old School Catholic Message Board

website ideas?

sr.christinaosf

19 hours ago, Swami Mommy said:

I scanned some of the content briefly and liked it quite well, but found the gray typeset and ornate capitalized words a little difficult to read.  Great start!

I agree with this statement.  I think black typeset with an ordinary font on every single page would be easier to read and look a little more professional.  Titles are fine in script and color, but the body of the posts should be as plain and as easy-to-read as possible.

I also do not like the "Tau" logo in the background for two reasons.  First, it's just not clear enough to use at this size. Second, the reader can't see enough of it to really know what it is unless she's already familiar with it and makes the page busy.  I think it would be better in the header.

I'm also going to make the assumption that you haven't gotten to everything yet and that there are still some things hanging out there that you will replace.  For example, the hamburgers on the vocations page.  I can't read anything on the "Stages of Vocation" Page with the hamburger behind it!  Same goes with "Ask a Sister", which I can barely read because of the brick wall. I'm assuming that you just haven't worked that far in yet.

I think the Q&A would work better under your vocations tab.

On the whole, I think you're headed in the right direction, you just need to carry on and get it done!  It's so hard to put a website together, even a simple one.  

sr.christinaosf

So here is my draft:

ndfranciscans.weebly.com

I at first had more scripty headings, but was encouraged to not use these for readability reasons. I’ve changed them to plain text, but miss the pretty font.  :(

Edited by sr.christinaosf

I like script, too, but the plain text is much easier to read.  I had to make this same switch on my own private website, as well.

On 10/23/2019 at 4:01 PM, JHFamily said:

For example, the hamburgers on the vocations page.  I can't read anything on the "Stages of Vocation" Page with the hamburger behind it!  Same goes with "Ask a Sister", which I can barely read because of the brick wall.

I couldn't read well with the hamburger pic either. Now I'm hungry as well! :)

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2019 at 6:10 PM, sr.christinaosf said:

I have been offered the project of re-doing our website for our community of Franciscan Sisters of Dillingen in the US.  I'm excited for the challenge. However, I thought I'd ask you all first if you have any suggestions for what all we should include in the site.

Thanks!!

Hi Sister. The less distracting the better. I always looks for the:History including vintage pictures if possible, Apostalate; Vocations; Donations: Request for Prayers, and Charism.