An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites vs Dominicans

Count Claydus

Count Claydus

I am sorry I ask questions so persistently. I have one more question. After around a year of discernment I have deduced to the Dominicans and the Carmelites. I love the contemplative natures of both orders. I am more drawn though to the primitive hermit life of the carmelites than their mendicant life which came later. I know there are two Carmelite hermit communities of Ancient Observance in the United States. Would someone care to compare and contrast the Dominicans and the Carmelites? Pax Christi! 

It's fine to have questions, but you keep asking the same ones without seeming to absorb the answers. Recently you wanted people to tell you if you were Benedictine or Dominican, then whether you could be a priest of the FSSP while still being member of a Dominican lay fraternity, and now it's Dominicans vs Carmelites, and Carmelites vs Carthusians. These are all basically variants on the same question, and it's just keeping you going round and round in circles.

The bottom line, again, is that you will not know for sure where you are called until you've tried. You need to actually be interacting with communities, and by that I don't mean asking "Dominican versus Benedictine" questions, but having in-depth conversations with the novice master or prior about day-to-day life in their specific monastery, and about your specific journey up to this point. No one finds their vocation through third-party discussions about religious orders in general.

Count Claydus

I am honestly in a state of spiritual retardation, or midlife crisis you could say. 

Sorry. I’ll stop with my novelty. I have been a Dominican at heart always, but I’m young and we tend to follow novelty when board instead of reason.