Guest Posted November 4, 2019 Posted November 4, 2019 (edited) Saint Monica was black. Yet if you search for her in Catholic Media almost every picture she's white. Why is that? I don't believe it's some innocent mistake. It seems much deeper than that. The same with Saint Augustine. Why would their be an effort to show him as white to everyone? I just learned he was black. Edited November 4, 2019 by Guest
Guest Posted November 4, 2019 Posted November 4, 2019 18 minutes ago, Josh said: Why would their *there
Luigi Posted November 4, 2019 Posted November 4, 2019 "Because of her name and place of birth, Monica is assumed to have been born in Thagaste (present-day Souk Ahras, Algeria).[3] She is believed to have been a Berber on the basis of her name.[4]" - Wikipedia. 1. Algerian people are Arabic. Berbers are Arabic. 2. People who hear the word "Africa" and immediately think "that means Black" don't know geography. North Africans - Egyptians, Tunisians, Libyans, Moroccans, and Algerians among others are Africans who are not Black. 3. You can't believe what you see in art. Those are artistic depictions, created by creative people, not photographic portraits or even attempts to be. For instance, there is no Biblical mention of angels having wings, yet almost all depictions of angels depict them with wings. That's because artists made assumptions about how angels traveled back and forth from heaven to earth. And people have complained for years that Jesus and Mary are depicted as blonde-haired, blue-eyed, rosy-cheeked Europeans when in fact they were probably black-haired, dark-eyed, olive-skinned Sephardic Jews.
Lilllabettt Posted November 4, 2019 Posted November 4, 2019 So this can be tricky. There's ethnicity and race. An issue with "white" is that its definition is contested. There was a time when Italians, Greeks, and the Irish were not counted as "white." Nowadays they are. There are white Hispanics and black Hispanics. Most Hispanics are racially white, and outside the US most do not think of themselves as "people of color". In like, Argentina, they will laugh at you if you called them poc. Same with arabs and persians. These ethnicities are considered white ethnicities by world governments and most arabs/persians think of themselves that way. So. St Monica wasn't some Scandinavian princess but by most standards she would fall into the "white" bucket. Which, once again, is a description devoid of real meaning.
Peace Posted November 4, 2019 Posted November 4, 2019 2 hours ago, Luigi said: "Because of her name and place of birth, Monica is assumed to have been born in Thagaste (present-day Souk Ahras, Algeria).[3] She is believed to have been a Berber on the basis of her name.[4]" - Wikipedia. 1. Algerian people are Arabic. Berbers are Arabic. 2. People who hear the word "Africa" and immediately think "that means Black" don't know geography. North Africans - Egyptians, Tunisians, Libyans, Moroccans, and Algerians among others are Africans who are not Black. 3. You can't believe what you see in art. Those are artistic depictions, created by creative people, not photographic portraits or even attempts to be. For instance, there is no Biblical mention of angels having wings, yet almost all depictions of angels depict them with wings. That's because artists made assumptions about how angels traveled back and forth from heaven to earth. And people have complained for years that Jesus and Mary are depicted as blonde-haired, blue-eyed, rosy-cheeked Europeans when in fact they were probably black-haired, dark-eyed, olive-skinned Sephardic Jews. Well it all depends on how you define “Black” I think. If we are talking pitch black, devoid of all color then only folks from Sudan etc are Black. If we apply the one drop rule common in the US for most of our history they are all Black. Most ancient Egyptians and many other N. Africans would probably be considered black by US standards I think. Basically a multiracial society with heavy influence from Sudan. You can go to the British museum and look at all of the stolen statutes, half of them look like my uncle Jerome. The thing is, if they need to be pitch black to be considered “Black” then they certainly cannot be considered White either, because their skin color certainly isn’t snow white. So I think if people have license to paint them white, they should also have license to paint them black. I choose black statutes in my crib because hey, root for the home team if you gotta choose. As with everything a nice shade of light brown such as myself would be ideal.
dominicansoul Posted November 5, 2019 Posted November 5, 2019 I'm pretty sure Adam and Eve were black... which means we are all black...
Seven77 Posted November 6, 2019 Posted November 6, 2019 I agree that St. Monica was a Berber, which means she wasn't white but she wasn't black, according to our standards. But hey, I was not around back then so what do I know for sure about the way she looked? Many in the Early Church were straight up brown for sure. There are black Saints in the Coptic Church. St. Nicholas, St. Athanasius, were not white. Art should represent truth as much as possible, totally on board with that.
Peace Posted November 7, 2019 Posted November 7, 2019 On 11/5/2019 at 5:11 PM, dominicansoul said: I'm pretty sure Adam and Eve were black... which means we are all black... Oh great, we only get the two people who screwed it up for all of us!
Luigi Posted November 7, 2019 Posted November 7, 2019 5 hours ago, Seven77 said: Art should represent truth as much as possible, totally on board with that. Aye, there's the rub. Art has never represented "truth as much as possible" - at least not 'truth' in the Western, rationalistic, scientific, documentary sense. Art is an imaginative way of knowing. Art always exaggerates some features and reduces or eliminates other features of what it depicts. It does tell "A" truth, but it's a truth that appeals to the emotions, not the mind. The Jesus of the Pieta is too big for the Mary of the Pieta to actually hold - she would've dropped him. But it expresses the truth of the tragedy that Mary must've experienced. St. Dominic was never at the foot of the cross the way Fra Angelico portrayed him, but those paintings express the truth of St. Dominic's reverence for the Passion. Depictions of the Trinity usually include an old-but-still-mighty God the Father (even though theology tells us that God the Father has no body), a Jesus (for which the artist almost always uses models from the contemporary culture), and a glowing dove (specified in the gospels but depicted as the artist imagines it, not based on photographic evidence). Asking art to be always representational, and always accurately representational, is asking it to do and be something that it was never intended to do or be. It's like asking algebra to be compassionate - that's not what algebra does.
penitent60 Posted November 9, 2019 Posted November 9, 2019 Jesus has been depicted Caucasian but would have been extremely Jewish in appearance. I worship Jesus as God not for his ethnicity. In Asia Jesus is depicted with Asian features in places. I guess it was to help people identify more with the man.
Peace Posted November 9, 2019 Posted November 9, 2019 2 hours ago, penitent60 said: Jesus has been depicted Caucasian but would have been extremely Jewish in appearance. I worship Jesus as God not for his ethnicity. Hmm. This raises an interesting question. Are our Lord's human features worthy of worship? I think the answer should be yes. Jesus is God and Jesus is man. I don't think you can really separate them out and say "I worship Jesus as God but I don't worship Jesus as human." I could be wrong.
penitent60 Posted November 9, 2019 Posted November 9, 2019 1 minute ago, Peace said: Hmm. This raises an interesting question. Are our Lord's human features worthy of worship? I think the answer should be yes. Jesus is God and Jesus is man. I don't think you can really separate them out and say "I worship Jesus as God but I don't worship Jesus as human." I could be wrong. Hmmm....okay I worship Jesus because He is God my Saviour. I don't think I want to start worshiping of say Jesus's beard etc., although we have devotions to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I know what I mean even if my explanation is weak and unclear.
Guest Posted November 10, 2019 Posted November 10, 2019 On 11/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, Luigi said: Aye, there's the rub. Art has never represented "truth as much as possible" - at least not 'truth' in the Western, rationalistic, scientific, documentary sense. Art is an imaginative way of knowing. Art always exaggerates some features and reduces or eliminates other features of what it depicts. It does tell "A" truth, but it's a truth that appeals to the emotions, not the mind. The Jesus of the Pieta is too big for the Mary of the Pieta to actually hold - she would've dropped him. But it expresses the truth of the tragedy that Mary must've experienced. St. Dominic was never at the foot of the cross the way Fra Angelico portrayed him, but those paintings express the truth of St. Dominic's reverence for the Passion. Depictions of the Trinity usually include an old-but-still-mighty God the Father (even though theology tells us that God the Father has no body), a Jesus (for which the artist almost always uses models from the contemporary culture), and a glowing dove (specified in the gospels but depicted as the artist imagines it, not based on photographic evidence). Asking art to be always representational, and always accurately representational, is asking it to do and be something that it was never intended to do or be. It's like asking algebra to be compassionate - that's not what algebra does.
Peace Posted November 10, 2019 Posted November 10, 2019 8 hours ago, penitent60 said: Hmmm....okay I worship Jesus because He is God my Saviour. I don't think I want to start worshiping of say Jesus's beard etc., although we have devotions to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I know what I mean even if my explanation is weak and unclear. I understood the main gist of what you wanted to say. But it does raise an interesting question (although off-topic). Is our Lord's beard worthy of worship? I think so. Are his feet worthy of worship? I think so. How could they not be?
penitent60 Posted November 10, 2019 Posted November 10, 2019 Why is everyone so het up over colour or ethnicity? Your skin is simply a bag so your dribbly bits........don't dribble all over the floor. I am far more interested in what sort of person you are....kind or not..that sort of thing.
Guest Posted November 11, 2019 Posted November 11, 2019 (edited) 6 hours ago, penitent60 said: Why is everyone so het up over colour or ethnicity? Your skin is simply a bag so your dribbly bits........don't dribble all over the floor. I am far more interested in what sort of person you are....kind or not..that sort of thing. It affects Evangelization when everyone is depicted as pale white. If you don't know who Lecrae is Google him. Here's lyrics from his song Facts. "And I love God I love Jesus, the one out of Nazareth Not the European with the ultra perm and them soft eyes and them thin lips" Edited November 11, 2019 by Guest
Luigi Posted November 11, 2019 Posted November 11, 2019 Depictions of Jesus - or anyone else, for that matter - are not a good reason to join a religion, leave a religion, put faith in a person as the Son of God, or as a savior. Religion, faith, salvation, etc. are larger than cultural identification.
penitent60 Posted November 11, 2019 Posted November 11, 2019 2 minutes ago, Luigi said: Depictions of Jesus - or anyone else, for that matter - are not a good reason to join a religion, leave a religion, put faith in a person as the Son of God, or as a savior. Religion, faith, salvation, etc. are larger than cultural identification. Apparently not so important in the past, although such a biggie in this modern, progressive world. Are people such infants now they can only identify if someone is as they are? Dear God in heaven I get cross over this....next there will be a thread on what language is spoken in heaven....when I KNOW Jesus speaks with a good Australian accent (come on.... this is a joke)
Guest Posted November 11, 2019 Posted November 11, 2019 (edited) 4 hours ago, Luigi said: Depictions of Jesus - or anyone else, for that matter - are not a good reason to join a religion, leave a religion, put faith in a person as the Son of God, or as a savior. Religion, faith, salvation, etc. are larger than cultural identification. That's cool. Go find a way to tell African Americans and Lecrae they're being unreasonable. Make sure you're real specific and detailed when telling them why their thinking is wrong. Also explain to them why there are no African American Saints in the Catholic Church. 4 hours ago, penitent60 said: Apparently not so important in the past, although such a biggie in this modern, progressive world. Are people such infants now they can only identify if someone is as they are? Dear God in heaven I get cross over this....next there will be a thread on what language is spoken in heaven....when I KNOW Jesus speaks with a good Australian accent (come on.... this is a joke) Or maybe people have different struggles and experiences than you. Maybe you should listen to them and their point of view before instantly disregarding them and their point of view as a joke. Edited November 11, 2019 by Guest
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now