An Old School Catholic Message Board

Long Island Catholic diocese sues to end Child Victims Act

this is really a story about:

Timothy Cardinal Dolan vs. Governor Andrew Cuomo

ALBANY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — There’s been a distinct chill in the relationship between New York’s top Catholic and governor, with the leaders of church and state engaged in an unusually harsh public war of words.

A relationship that’s always been polite, if not downright chummy, is on the rocks of late. Timothy Cardinal Dolan criticized Governor Andrew Cuomo on the front page of the New York Post, and on his SiriusXM radio show.

“It’s a battle that I didn’t ‘start, that I do not enjoy, and that I hope doesn’t continue,” Dolan said.

Dolan took issue on several fronts, including the State of the State presentation when Cuomo claimed he was more in tune with Pope Francis than the bishops when it came to advocating for victims of sex abuse.

“To say Pope Francis is right on the issue and these obstinate bishops in New York are way behind, that’s just not true,” Dolan said. “I found that very hurtful, I found that very disappointing, and most of all I found it terribly inaccurate.”

Cuomo on Tuesday shrugged off the criticism from Dolan, and additional calls from Roman Catholic leaders for his excommunication from the Church over his support of a new state abortion law.

Saying he is duty-bound to separate his religious views from his work as governor, Cuomo, a Democrat, defended his support for the state’s Reproductive Health Act, which he signed last week. The bill mostly codifies abortion rights protected in Roe v. Wade and other federal abortion rulings.

“I have my own Catholic beliefs, how I life my life… That is my business as a Catholic,” Cuomo said. “I don’t govern as a Catholic. I don’t legislate as a Catholic.”

The (NYS) empire strikes back

The bishops of New York issued a joint statement in response to the bill. 

“We pray that the passage of the Child Victims Act brings some measure of healing to all survivors by offering them a path of recourse and reconciliation,” the bishops wrote. 

“The legislation now recognizes that child sexual abuse is an evil not just limited to one institution, but a tragic societal ill that must be addressed in every place where it exists.”

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/ny-child-victims-act-passes-cuomo-takes-aim-at-bishops-60344 

Edited by little2add

What you’re missing is that this law is a personal  vendetta from the NYS Governor  in retaliation for the bishop pointing out the hypocrisy of the catholic governor’s support for abortion. 

BTW: good sound laws are already on the books for the protection of minors from deviate clergy.  

IE:

NEW YORK - More than two weeks after New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a law expanding legal protection for abortion, his battle with New York’s Cardinal Timothy Dolan continues in the op-ed pages of New York newspapers.

In a Feb. 6 op-ed in the New York Times, Cuomo accused President Donald Trump and the “religious right”, including Dolan, of “spreading falsehoods about abortion laws to inflame their base.”

“Activists on the far right continue to mislead with the ridiculous claim that the act will allow abortions up to a minute before birth,” he wrote.

According to the law’s wording, the Reproductive Health Act will allow for abortions “within 24 weeks from the commencement of pregnancy, or (when) there is an absence of fetal viability, or at any time when necessary to protect a patient’s life or health.” The bill also removes act of abortion from the criminal code, and instead places it in the public-health code, and strips most safeguards and regulations on the procedure. Non-doctors will now be permitted to perform abortions.

“While Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, and the Catholic Church are anti-choice, most Americans, including most Catholics, are pro-choice,” Cuomo said. “While governments may very well enact laws that are consistent with religious teaching, governments do not pass laws to be consistent with what any particular religion dictates.”

Cuomo, himself a Catholic, said he signed the Reproductive Health Act “to protect against” the “extreme conservatives” who want to overturn Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion in the U.S.

“The decisions I choose to make in my life, or in counseling my daughters, are based on my personal moral and religious beliefs,” Cuomo said, but the “oath of office is to the Constitutions of the United States and of the State of New York - not to the Catholic Church. My religion cannot demand favoritism as I execute my public duties.”

New York has consistently been one of the most pro-choice states, and was the first to legalize abortion in 1970, three years prior to the passing of Roe v. Wade. It currently has the highest abortion rate in the nation.

Edited by little2add

13 minutes ago, little2add said:

good sound laws are already on the books for the protection of minors from deviate clergy.

No there's not and this topic is not about abortion. If you want to start a topic on abortion go for it. This topic is about the Church protecting dudes who rape and sexually abuse adolescents and younger. Your last article had 8 paragraphs and none about this topic.

"The Child Victims Act was put into place to help end the plague of child sex abuse in New York."     

The act opened a one-year window during which anyone can file a lawsuit accusing someone of sexual abuse in New York despite the statute of limitations. 

Edited by Guest

On 11/15/2019 at 7:01 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

God bless you and yours also, Josh. 

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/religion-and-philosophy/spiritual-life/the-church-will-become-small.html

"CERC Catholic Education Resource Centre.  Pope Benedict in his book Faith and The Future:...........

"The church will become small and will have to start afresh more or less from the beginning.

She will no longer be able to inhabit many of the edifices she built in prosperity. As the number of her adherents diminishes . . . she will lose many of her social privileges. . . As a small society, [the Church] will make much bigger demands on the initiative of her individual members....

It will be hard-going for the Church, for the process of crystallization and clarification will cost her much valuable energy. It will make her poor and cause her to become the Church of the meek . . . The process will be long and wearisome as was the road from the false progressivism on the eve of the French Revolution — when a bishop might be thought smart if he made fun of dogmas and even insinuated that the existence of God was by no means certain . . . But when the trial of this sifting is past, a great power will flow from a more spiritualized and simplified Church. Men in a totally planned world will find themselves unspeakably lonely. If they have completely lost sight of God, they will feel the whole horror of their poverty. Then they will discover the little flock of believers as something wholly new. They will discover it as a hope that is meant for them, an answer for which they have always been searching in secret.

And so it seems certain to me that the Church is facing very hard times. The real crisis has scarcely begun. We will have to count on terrific upheavals. But I am equally certain about what will remain at the end: not the Church of the political cult, which is dead already, but the Church of faith. She may well no longer be the dominant social power to the extent that she was until recently; but she will enjoy a fresh blossoming and be seen as man's home, where he will find life and hope beyond death."

I find this post to be most excellent.

I can’t speak for the other victims of sexual crimes committed by clergy, however local priest was Accused sometime ago and the local diocese performed a thorough investigation and exonerated the priest.  Under this new law The Governor Andrew Cuomo enacted the same priest has been re-charged by the same alleged victim.   
see attached: 

Shared from the 11/20/2019 Rome Sentinel eEdition

Pastor takes voluntary leave at St. John the Baptist, Transfiguration

ANGELICCHIO

The Rev. Paul Angelicchio, pastor of St. John the Baptist Church and Transfiguration Church, has voluntarily taken an administrative leave while a canonical investigation is conducted regarding lawsuit allegations against him, the Diocese of Syracuse said today.

Angelicchio recently was named in a civil lawsuit seeking monetary damages for alleged sexual abuse during a time between 1980-1981, and the Diocese of Syracuse is also named in the suit, the Diocese noted today in a statement. The Diocese said that, in keeping with its policy and procedures, it notified the Onondaga County District Attorney’s Office of the allegation.

Angelicchio announced his administrative leave at all masses during the weekend, said the Diocese, which added that he gave this statement:

“There is no truth to this accusation and my conscience is perfectly clear. I am not guilty of what has been alleged. While I deny this accusation, and will vigorously defend my good name and reputation, I also acknowledge the Diocese’s responsibility to thoroughly investigate any accusation of clerical misconduct.

Consequently, I am voluntarily stepping back from my duties as pastor of St. John’s and Transfiguration until the Diocese has concluded its investigation. As soon as the Diocese has completed its investigation, you will be informed. I ask you to pray for me as I journey through these next weeks, and you will continue to be in my daily prayer.”

The Rev. Abraham Esper “will be providing sacramental ministry during this time,” according to the Diocese.

The Diocese further noted “it has previously been reported that Father Angelicchio is a named defendant in another filed lawsuit seeking monetary damages for alleged sexual abuse in the late 80s. Prior to the filing of the lawsuit in August 2019, the Onondaga County District Attorney found this allegation to not be credible as did the canonical investigation completed in December 2016. The civil lawsuit was filed as part of the NYS (New York State) Child Victims Act.”

At the time of the investigation of the initial allegation in 2016, Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said that his office investigated the accusation, which was that the priest was aware of an instance of sex abuse and was not the perpetrator, and found nothing to back up the claim. Fitzpatrick said his office determined Angelicchio “was not a clear and present danger to any minors’’ and concluded there was no reason to institute any safeguards with regard to Angelicchio. “That speaks to my opinion’’ of the allegation, he said.

In regards to the current lawsuit, the Diocese said it remains committed to its cooperation with district attorney offices and all aspects of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People. It added “we continue to pray for and seek to assist all whose lives have been affected by the violation of human dignity.”

Please pray for Fr. Paul he’s a good man and priest of my local Parish.  

prayer for Father Paul Angelicchio

You have a whole parish and a whold whole community behind you praying for you, missing you, needing you, and loving you!!!!
Amen

Edited by little2add