An Old School Catholic Message Board

Entering a Poor Clare Colettine monastery

clareagnes

I haven't been very active on this forum, but I did want to share joyful news that I am entering Corpus Christi Monastery of the Poor Clares in Rockford, IL, this Thursday, Nov. 21! I'm overwhelmed with a lot of emotions, mostly gratitude and excitement, and a little nervousness, too. My first sense of calling to religious life - as a Protestant - was more than a decade ago, and after a lot of meandering, wrong turns, and an abundance of grace God has led me first to become Catholic and now to this next step. Thanks be to God!

I discerned with the community I'm joining for about a year and was first drawn to them after reading an oral history of the monastery called Dedicated to God, which I highly recommend. There is also a documentary about them called “Chosen: Custody of the Eyes," which I've heard is excellent (www.chosenthefilm.com). There are 20 professed nuns with 3 in the Novitiate, and I'm excited to be joining them! There has been a lot of joy and laughter in the parlor visits I've made with Mother Abbess and the Novice Mistress, and a deep, abiding peace in my heart as I prepare to enter.

Although I haven’t commented frequently here, I have been grateful to learn so much here from all of you - about discernment, growing in relationship with our Lord, and hearing about new congregations. Please keep me in prayer on Nov. 21 and I will pray for you! I invite you also to call the monastery prayer line with your intentions any time; the number is on their website: www.rockfordpoorclares.org.  

I’ll take my leave with a blessing from St. Clare that my soon-to-be Novice Mistress gave to me:

May Almighty God bless you,

May He look upon you with the eyes of His Mercy and give you His peace,

May he pour forth His graces on you abundantly

And in heaven may He place you among His saints.

Amen!

Edited by clareagnes

AveMariaPurissima

Oh how wonderful!! :heart: I have a couple friends who are PCC's so the order has a special place in my heart. May the Lord bless you as you take this next step in following Him!!!

My religious name is Elizabeth Colette (though I've never been in the cloister.) Many blessings upon you. Do pray for me, dear sister.

Sister Leticia

Congratulations - you will enter accompanied by many prayers, and I hope you'll remember to keep us in yours. 

The 21st November is the anniversary of the foundation of the Society of the Sacred Heart, so please do pray for us, and for the women discerning and in formation with us.

Blessings on your ongoing journey into God's Heart!