An Old School Catholic Message Board

Two new Franciscan Communities.

HollyDolly

These are two new Franciscan communities for women I found.

One is the Franciscan Sisters of Mary, Mother of Evangelezation founded in Buffalo,NY in 2015.They do have a website, but forgot to write it down. The other one is the Franciscan Sisters of Mary  the Virgin of San Antonio,TX.. T Sister Mary Margaret is the founder, and on Linkedin it is described as a secular institute in formation. On her Linkedin page, she is listed as co-founder of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary  in Peoria, which I know has been mentioned before as an offshoot of the Handmaids of Nazerath, whom the Bishop of Peoria disbanded for whatever reason. Couldn't seem to find anything on the Franciscan Sisters of Mary   in Peoria at all.And what I do find is  an order by that name founded in the 1870s, which has no connection to the ones mentioned above.

Interesting.  I couldn't find anything on the internet about the Buffalo community.  I found a 2017 article from the Western New York Catholic that mentioned three women starting the Marian Franciscans--a Private Association of the Faithful.  Neither the Marian Franciscans nor the Franciscan Sisters of Mary, Mother of Evangelization are listed in the December issue of the Diocesan Directory, though.  Maybe they don't list Private Associations of the Faithful?

How I found them was by typing into Google or Yahoo, franciscan Sisters of Mary. Yu may have sto scroll through some website lists to find them.

Hna.Caridad, here is their website:www.fsmme.com  these are for the Buffalo,Ny sisters.

I remember reading about the Buffalo community a few years ago.  Their idea was to open a coffee shop and somehow evangelize through interacting with their customers (or something along those lines).  It was an interesting idea for sure, especially since they said something about how not enough communities are evangelizing to middle class communities.  Lots of communities serve the poor but of course we are all poor without Christ.  I don’t know if that coffee shop ever materialized but I hope the community is doing well!

13 hours ago, Kateri89 said:

I remember reading about the Buffalo community a few years ago.  Their idea was to open a coffee shop and somehow evangelize through interacting with their customers (or something along those lines).  It was an interesting idea for sure, especially since they said something about how not enough communities are evangelizing to middle class communities.  Lots of communities serve the poor but of course we are all poor without Christ.  I don’t know if that coffee shop ever materialized but I hope the community is doing well!

The Franciscans (women and men) in my city have a drop-in center (lounge, chapel, shop), always staffed by at least one sister and one friar, in the largest mall--which attracts visitors from a wide area.