An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beat the flu by fasting

little2add

feed a cold, starve a fever 

HOW DO WE IMPROVE THE IMMUNE SYSTEM?

While some factors such as genetics or age cannot be changed, the medical experts said that making certain lifestyle changes might be able to improve a person’s response to illness.  

“People who have a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise, balanced nutrition and less stress tend to have a more efficient immune system fighting infections,” Assoc Prof Liu said.

Support your immune system with the following tips:

1. Cut out junk food

because bacteria, viruses thrive on sugar. The more sugar you keep, the easier it is for them to gain a foothold on your defences,” he said.  

2. Ensure a well-balanced diet with nutritious foods

Dr Liew, who sees more infections in fussy eaters with a low vegetable and fruit intake in his practice, emphasised the importance of a balanced diet with adequate water intake. He said that vitamin C supplementation has the strongest evidence in reducing recurrent infections.

Dr Look advised increasing the intake of plant-based whole foods that are packed with micronutrients such as zinc, iron, copper, folic acid and vitamins A, B6, C and E. These are required for the body to fight infections.

The general rule of thumb for healthy eating is to “follow the rainbow”, he said. Eating a wide range of vibrantly coloured fruit and vegetables provide a variety of nutrients needed for good health. These may include vegetables such as tomatoes, berries, pumpkin, oranges, spinach, eggplant and broccoli.

3. Consider intermittent fasting

it has been proven that intermittent fasting, a form of time-restricted fasting, promotes autophagy. This is a process whereby the white blood cells clean out the unhealthy, damaged cells in the body.

For all you catholic faithful observing lent by fasting the benefit is not just for the soul it may also be good for the body too!

Edited by little2add

islandanchoress

PLEASE do not follow this advice without consulting your own medical adviser. It is much more complex and potentially dangerous  to your health than this article shows, and that must be respected. Thank you. 

Which of the bullet points specifically do you suggest not following?

1. Cut out junk food

2. Ensure a well-balanced diet with nutritious foods

3. Consider intermittent fasting

None of this is remotely radical. Catholics used to own fasting, and we should take it back :) If you have time yinz should listen to this podcast on it. It features a Catholic priest :coffee:

AOM Podcast on Fasting

islandanchoress

yinz?  

Not sure who you were addressing in your post? But please be wary of assigning spiritual benefits and experiences to physical methods. Especially where food deprivation is involved, It is widely believed that many of the visionaries had their experiences while fasting as a result of a form of ketosis in times when less was known re the severe and wide ranging  effects of fasting.  And on these matters should we be putting total trust in non-medical folk? Prayer and spiritual life are thankfully not created by physical means or deprivations that are created deliberately by these but by deep prayer. 

Over and out from me on this topic

15 hours ago, islandanchoress said:

yinz?  

Not sure who you were addressing in your post? But please be wary of assigning spiritual benefits and experiences to physical methods. Especially where food deprivation is involved, It is widely believed that many of the visionaries had their experiences while fasting as a result of a form of ketosis in times when less was known re the severe and wide ranging  effects of fasting.  And on these matters should we be putting total trust in non-medical folk? Prayer and spiritual life are thankfully not created by physical means or deprivations that are created deliberately by these but by deep prayer. 

Over and out from me on this topic

Yinz is the equivalent of y'all or all y'all where I live :(

I kind of assumed you were just disputing the health benefits. Why do you feel that the Catholic Church requires fasting at times? How do you feel about Jesus' statement that some demons can only be cast out with prayer and fasting? 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:27 AM, little2add said:

If you don’t fast, look at what could happen 

047-AAFA5-9-A1-A-47-A9-9-E04-F45-A2411-D

But not a kitchen full of spelling books!  :lol4:

On 4/4/2020 at 11:47 AM, ardillacid said:

Do I detect a fellow Yinzer?

2 hours ago, ardillacid said:

Well I live here, but I am not a native yinzer. :coffee:

Well you at least get honorary Yinzer status for promoting Yinzer culture to non-natives haha.

Lilllabettt
On 4/4/2020 at 5:27 AM, little2add said:

If you don’t fast, look at what could happen 

047-AAFA5-9-A1-A-47-A9-9-E04-F45-A2411-D

Ugh. Little Debbie is turning into Big Deborah over here

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2020 at 11:47 AM, ardillacid said:

I kind of assumed you were just disputing the health benefits. Why do you feel that the Catholic Church requires fasting at times? How do you feel about Jesus' statement that some demons can only be cast out with prayer and fasting? 

Can you please address this post? 

:coffee: