An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Nuns of the Perpetual Rosary leaving Buffalo

stlmom

Hello all,

I haven't posted here in years, but wanted to share this news on VS. This week, I received a note from Sister Veronica Mary who used to be on Phatmass before she entered here. The monastery has been sold after the nuns determined they no longer had sufficient vocations or funds to keep up their property.  They will leave in mid-June and will be accommodated temporarily by the Franciscans of Stella Niagra until they find a new home outside the diocese of Buffalo.  Keep them in your prayers, please. 

I am shocked and saddened to read this.  I used to go to Mass there and stop in during my work day.  What a loss.  Are they closing because of declining vocations or simply the expense of the monastery? 

I believe the Dominican monastery in Syracuse is also closing. I read - somewhere - that the monastery of Mary Queen (formerly in New York state but moved to Girard, Illinois several years ago) is assuming responsibility for the sisters, most of whom are in a nursing home there in Syracuse. 

I'll keep looking for my source on that. I know I didn't make it up, but I can't track it down at the moment. 

7 hours ago, clk said:

I am shocked and saddened to read this.  I used to go to Mass there and stop in during my work day.  What a loss.  Are they closing because of declining vocations or simply the expense of the monastery? 

Both apparently contributed to the decision to sell the property. From the limited information I have, this move has been under consideration for a long time.

Sponsa-Christi

Are they staying together as a community and just moving to a new and more manageable monastery building? Or is the community actually dissolving (i.e., where the nuns are joining different monasteries)? 

On 5/17/2020 at 8:23 AM, Sponsa-Christi said:

Are they staying together as a community and just moving to a new and more manageable monastery building? Or is the community actually dissolving (i.e., where the nuns are joining different monasteries)? 

I feel sad when this happens

Edited by nikita92

• 2 weeks later...
HollyDolly

This is so sad. I believe there is a monastery of these Dominican sisters in LUKIN,Texas.

Those sisters are still there.Also saw where the Handmaids of the HOly Trinity in Southbend,Indiana are permanently closed when I looked them up for some reason the other day.

3 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

This is so sad. I believe there is a monastery of these Dominican sisters in LUKIN,Texas.

The Lufkin nuns are Dominican, but the Dominican Nuns of the Perpetual Rosary are a specific expression of Dominican contemplative life--a different "branch." 

• 2 months later...

Update: the Dominican Nuns will be relocating to the Diocese of Columbus, Ohio and expect to be fully moved in to their new home by the end of September. 

Totally Franciscan

slmom, Columbus, Ohio is my hometown.  Do you know where they are moving, and do they have a website with this information?  Thanks.

49 minutes ago, Totally Franciscan said:

slmom, Columbus, Ohio is my hometown.  Do you know where they are moving, and do they have a website with this information?  Thanks.

I understand their new home will be the Sts. Peter and Paul Retreat Center in Newark, Ohio.  That's all I know right now.

Sad to hear that the nuns had to relocate, that type of move is never easy. However, as a native of Newark, OH, I'm really happy to see the retreat center being put to good use. It will be wonderful to have the nuns in the diocese!