Sign in to follow this  
Graciela

Discalced Carmelite Monastries Affilliate

Graciela

Since Vultum Dei quaerere and Cor Orans were promulgated regarding contemplative women's communities, I have wondered about a few of the small Carmels in the US and what would happen to them.

Here is a link to April 2020 news that the OCD monastery in Erie PA has affiliated with the OCD monastery in Rochester (Pittsford) NY.   It sounds like the affiliation arrangement will allow some time rather than closing the Erie monastery, which has been very small for decades.

https://www.eriercd.org/carmelites/rochester.html

Anastasia

"In 2019, Erie Bishop Lawrence Persico opted for affiliation. “I want the Carmelite Monastery to stay here,” Bishop Persico says. “I could have closed it, but I think it is important to have the sisters praying for our diocese and the people here. Their ministry of prayer is very important to the life of our church in northwest Pennsylvania.”

They are lucky to have such an understanding Bishop.