An Old School Catholic Message Board

San Rafael Carmelites

Totally Franciscan

Totally Franciscan

I just received a letter from the OCD's in San Rafael, California.  They will be closing their monastery, The Carmelite Monastery of the Mother of God, with their last day March 1, 2021.  They owe this closure to the number of vocations dwindling to their monastery; there are only four nuns now.  They say they are exploring the possibility of joining another Carmelite monastery and ask for your prayers during this transition.

Regarding the Poor Clares from Aptos, California, they have joined the Poor Clares in Los Altos Hills, California.  Their old monastery is now the home of Cistercian monks, I believe about 12 monks.  I am so happy that the beautiful monastery has not been demolished.  It was built as a Franciscan Poor Clare monastery.  I was invited to the open house right before the nuns were enclosed.  Such a beautiful Franciscan monastery.  

• 2 weeks later...

It is always sad to see the monastery being closed (and to me a Carmelite one especially).

On 9/16/2020 at 2:42 AM, Totally Franciscan said:

Their old monastery is now the home of Cistercian monks, I believe about 12 monks.  I am so happy that the beautiful monastery has not been demolished.

I share you joy about that.