An Old School Catholic Message Board

vocations with Adoration

adoro.te.devote

adoro.te.devote

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information :) I've been discerning for a while and over time, I discerned two things that I really feel called to: consecrated chastity to belong exclusively to God, and Eucharistic Adoration to console Jesus / offer reparation. It's also really important for me to attend the traditional Latin Mass, - I accept that the OF is valid but the Latin Mass is the spirituality I'm really drawn to. 

So far, I haven't really found communities like this.. (and I have some possible obstacles to entering communities at least right now). I'm wondering if there are solitary forms of religious life that have this sort of charism? I've always been interested in the eremitic vocation but I'm drawn to daily Adoration, and as I understand, the life of a Hermit involves a lot of prayer in the cell.. I'm also drawn to a life more away from the world in contemplation, rather than having a job or doing active work to serve the Diocese.. (all this is beautiful but not what I feel called to do, which is something more 'hidden'). 

What could this even be, like...an Adoration recluse? haha. I'm not holy enough for that btw. :) am I missing some vocation that I just never heard of? I thought i'd ask here just in case! I suppose there is always life with private vows, but it would be nice if there was a form of religious life like this.

Thank you!

Edited by adoro.te.devote

My knowledge is limited in this area, but I wish you all the best. There is of course a severe limit to the amount of useful advice you can get here on this sort of thing. I understand some people do like to hash things out by bouncing ideas off others, so I don't want to put a downer on your way of going about it necessarily.

In the Rule of St Benedict, he says that the monks who would go out on their own as hermits had many long years of experience in community first. I know the world is a wide place, but I also think it generally a good rule of thumb.

adoro.te.devote

Thank you! :) oh yes for sure I'm not trying to replace discernment with a forum, but I just wondered maybe there is just something i've never heard of, and others have. I think it must be a very special calling to be a solitary contemplative religious, I mean it requires much grace and for one to have fought the passions for a while..or it can perhaps be really disastrous, if one is not called/ready. I don't feel holy enough or ready for something like that, and the Bishop would only consecrate someone to be a hermit, who is truly called to it, as it takes so much discernment/preparation. i'm just at a loss with what to do if I don't find a community / am unable to join, but i hope over time that would become more clear.. the main thing for me, is probably to console Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament

Edited by adoro.te.devote

I am an occasional reader here on phatmass. I am not catholic nor am I claiming to have any great understanding of much that I read here. I do enjoy reading about catholic religious orders and I admit I am secretly drawn to living a solitary life in community with others doing the same. But that’s a different story. It could be that I could meet that desire by becoming a lookout in a remote forest fire watch tower. LOL

That being said I wonder if you have considered the Carthusian order. In reading your description of the calling you feel, they might be a good fit for you. I believe there is only one Charterhouse in the US, a men’s house in Vermont.  There are multiple houses for both women and men in Europe especially in France where they began, as well as more scattered around the world. I cannot tell from your post if you are male or female but if it suits you check out the Vermont Charterhouse below. And if not, well, how’s your French?  I wish you good luck in your search.

http://www.chartreux.org/en/houses/transfiguration/index.php

I think many EF communities incorporate adoration in some respect. 

If perpetual adoration and the EF are what you want, I don't know any that do this outside the SSPX, which I would not refer discerners to.

Dominican nuns of Marbury, AL and Summit, NJ have perpetual Rosary (before the blessed Sacrament). The Carmelites of St Louis have an emphasis on Eucharistic adoration, rather unusual for Carmel. These are traditionalist communities and like their Latin but are not committed to the EF exclusively. 

There is the Dominicans of the monastery of the Heart of Jesus in lockport LA. They do the TLM exclusively, or at least, did. Not sure about adoration though. 

VeniteAdoremus

There are several congregations focussed on perpetual adoration, but I don't know all of them offer the EF. One that has a (imo) really unique charism are the Holy Spirit Adoration sisters. (I know them because they have a tiny convent in my city , but they're also in the States.)

The Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration here in the Netherlands have, I think, Mass in the ordinary form but it is entirely in Latin. They might have EF occasionally? In any case, they are SOLID and can probably put you in contact with related congregations. They have a retreat coming up -this week- that is preached by an Irish hermit (I don't know him), so this could be an excellent time to send them an e-mail and hit several birds with one electronic stone.

JustVisiting mentioned the Carthusians. There's also the Religious Family of Bethlehem, who are a bit like them in that they share the hermit charism. They live in cells with communal liturgy, which is a combination of western and eastern rite, which might speak to you or not.

If you are thinking of the purely hermit life, I'm only familiar with one of them. He lives under the direction of his bishop (I think all hermits outside of religious congregations do but I'm not sure) and has a spiritual director who is also a hermit. There is an association of sorts of the hermits here in Europe. When it comes to that, there's a lot of possibility but it surely isn't for everyone. Talking with your bishop or whoever does this in your diocese would be the first point of order, I guess. There are people in your diocese who can help you discern this! You don't have to be holy to start. That's what living your vocation is for.