An Old School Catholic Message Board

New communities and habits

adoro.te.devote

adoro.te.devote

Does anyone happen to know at which stage of a new community could the Sisters wear habits? I know that it needs to start as a private association first... it's kind of a hard question maybe because it would be wrong to "impersonate" religious when they are not yet religious, but at the same time, it can take years for a private association to become an institute of religious life.. does anyone know what is the typical process for receiving habits? thank you! :) 

Edited by adoro.te.devote

Sponsa-Christi

Technically, new communities don't have to start as a private or public association of the faithful--this is just a prudential step most new communities tend to take. A community becomes an "official" religious community when the local bishop establishes them as a community of diocesan right, and theoretically this could happen as the first step.

That being said, new communities that do start out as a public or private association of the faithful can start wearing habits as soon as the local bishop says they can. So there's no one point when this would happen for every community across the board, it's something that would be discerned on a case-by-case basis. 

4 hours ago, adoro.te.devote said:

Does anyone happen to know at which stage of a new community could the Sisters wear habits? I know that it needs to start as a private association first... it's kind of a hard question maybe because it would be wrong to "impersonate" religious when they are not yet religious, but at the same time, it can take years for a private association to become an institute of religious life.. does anyone know what is the typical process for receiving habits? thank you! :) 

Usually after they have had some authentic formation and when the Bishop recognizes them as a private association of the faithful. Of course they have to have their constitutions written and approved as well.

It can take many years for a community to receive official erection as a religious institute. Until very recently, there was no idea that, until this took place, members had to hide their membership or consecration. One community of which I knew, which received approval as a congregation in 1947, had lived under a Rule for 27 years, and had a habit (simpler than most at the time) all along.

Until recently, each congregation had a habit which was unique to them. Two congregations of Franciscans, for example, might both wear brown or grey, but there would be some distinction in the style. No-one could wear a habit of a congregation to which they did not belong. Even in the 1960s, this had changed - Sisters may have worn distinctive garb, but it might be a simple veil and a suit or pinafore in a particular colour - or a standard 'bought' habit, which many Sisters from different communities wore, perhaps with a different cross.

When 'distinctive clothing' became (for example) a dark suit, one hardly could say someone had no permission to wear this. There is nothing to prevent anyone from wearing a blue suit or a cross of the same design as the others. 

3 hours ago, gloriana35 said:

When 'distinctive clothing' became (for example) a dark suit, one hardly could say someone had no permission to wear this. There is nothing to prevent anyone from wearing a blue suit or a cross of the same design as the others. 

Actually the cross or pin that religious wear is usually a distinctive "sign" of their membership and vows. No one else can legitimately wear it. For example, in the community in which I'm an Associate, sisters wear a distinctive circular medal, either as a pin or on a chain. Associates have a similar medal, but it has the word "Associate" on a little banner across it. 

I have a question for all who have chimed in on this and other threads regarding habits.  Why the emphasis on the externals?  I don't hear much about the charism/s of an Order or how they are lived out.  If I were discerning, the main thing I would look at is if/how the spirituality and charisms of a particular order are lived out in daily life, rather than the color, length, etc. of a habit or veil, if headgear is worn, etc.  I do believe, if I remember correctly, it is perfectly correct for a Sister/Nun to wear what is the "proper law" of their particular congregation concerning habits.  And that proper law varies widely from community to community.

7 hours ago, Francis Clare said:

I have a question for all who have chimed in on this and other threads regarding habits.  Why the emphasis on the externals?  I don't hear much about the charism/s of an Order or how they are lived out.  If I were discerning, the main thing I would look at is if/how the spirituality and charisms of a particular order are lived out in daily life, rather than the color, length, etc. of a habit or veil, if headgear is worn, etc.

I agree with you, but not fully. We are incarnate beings and a habit is an expression of the internal hence it cannot be categorized only as "an external". Wearing it or not is an expression of the inner life of the community. While discerning, an attitude of a community to a habit can give some additional clue.

There is a psychological dimension in wearing or not wearing a habit I think. I speculate that those who wish to wear a habit want to belong to something greater - a spiritual tradition they love - and feel secure in it. Perhaps they know many saints of their Order hence its habit for them has an additional "personal weight". I think the word "personal" may be the key, personally (in spirit) knowing the predecessors, the members of the Order. The habit then is a token on a continual connection. Yes, the argument can be made that we do not need the external if we live out the charism of the Order. I disagree though; the two are supporting each other.

(Obviously I am not speaking about the Orders which historically have never had a habit.)

I really would love for you to explain exactly how a habit is an expression of the internal.  It has nothing to do with the expression of one's inner life.....think about it, many of the nun's habits were simply the "garb" of the day.  For example, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Mother Seton, foundress of the Sisters of Charity ) did NOT wear a habit, simply the normal dress of a widow of her day. As a result, members of her order dressed as she did. 

As a psychologist who also is a SD, I find it difficult to find the "psychological dimension" in wearing or not wearing a habit.  It is only natural, habit or not, to feel the connection to those who came before. I think back to the "romanticization" of the numbers sewn inside the habit of Sr. Luke (Audrey Hepburn) in the Nuns Story.  Yes, it was a definite connection to the one/s who came before, but also set up expectations/dreams of what could or might be for her, thus settling her up for extreme disappointment if she did not follow in her predecessor's footsteps.  This is an example of idealization....and it can happen when one looks at the attitudes some have toward habits for religious.

If you do a survey of womens religious orders pre-Vatican II, not a button, not a snap, not a pin, not a fold could be changed on a habit - it had to be exactly like that worn and mandated by the foundress of a particular Order.  As the years went by, t became a challenge (and a supreme waste of time) to starch and pleat headgear, veils, etc.  The Second Vatican Council gave women religious the freedom to adapt their clothing to the times.  As such, I don't think you could point to Sr. Helen Prejean and say that, by wearing secular dress, she didn't love her spiritual tradition.

I would caution making generalizations about the habit such as being a "continual connection."  Choosing an Order based on a habit (or not) should not be the main reason for pursing a vocation in said Order.  Rather, it should be the spirituality, charism, and the living out of those that should be first and foremost in a discerners mind.    Just my 2 cents....

30 minutes ago, Francis Clare said:

I really would love for you to explain exactly how a habit is an expression of the internal.  It has nothing to do with the expression of one's inner life.....think about it, many of the nun's habits were simply the "garb" of the day.  For example, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Mother Seton, foundress of the Sisters of Charity ) did NOT wear a habit, simply the normal dress of a widow of her day. As a result, members of her order dressed as she did. 

As a psychologist who also is a SD, I find it difficult to find the "psychological dimension" in wearing or not wearing a habit.  It is only natural, habit or not, to feel the connection to those who came before. I think back to the "romanticization" of the numbers sewn inside the habit of Sr. Luke (Audrey Hepburn) in the Nuns Story.  Yes, it was a definite connection to the one/s who came before, but also set up expectations/dreams of what could or might be for her, thus settling her up for extreme disappointment if she did not follow in her predecessor's footsteps.  This is an example of idealization....and it can happen when one looks at the attitudes some have toward habits for religious.

If you do a survey of womens religious orders pre-Vatican II, not a button, not a snap, not a pin, not a fold could be changed on a habit - it had to be exactly like that worn and mandated by the foundress of a particular Order.  As the years went by, t became a challenge (and a supreme waste of time) to starch and pleat headgear, veils, etc.  The Second Vatican Council gave women religious the freedom to adapt their clothing to the times.  As such, I don't think you could point to Sr. Helen Prejean and say that, by wearing secular dress, she didn't love her spiritual tradition.

I would caution making generalizations about the habit such as being a "continual connection."  Choosing an Order based on a habit (or not) should not be the main reason for pursing a vocation in said Order.  Rather, it should be the spirituality, charism, and the living out of those that should be first and foremost in a discerners mind.    Just my 2 cents....

I remember reading in the memoir of the great Sister Madeleva Wolff, that she entered her community *despite* the habit, which she thought was quite ugly and unattractive. Also, I remember meeting Sister Mary Colman, president (and last "Mother General" of Maryknoll) shortly before her death, when she showed me a picture of the sisters at the last general chapter where they all wore the original habit. She said 2 things, which have always stayed with me. First: "when we would gather together in the summer, we smelled like a herd of wet sheep." And, very thoughtfully, "our habits were a terrible violation of the vow of poverty!" Here is a woman of profound holiness, who spent much of World War II in a prisoner of war camp in the Philippines (where she did not wear her habit, of course), Was she any less a sister, or an embodiment of the community charism, in the simple cotton dress she wore as she showed me around the heritage room? It was an extraordinarily powerful spiritual experience for me, for which I will be eternally grateful.

3 hours ago, Francis Clare said:

I really would love for you to explain exactly how a habit is an expression of the internal.

As a psychologist you may appreciate that you created a conflicting message (not a double bind though) via expressing the desire to hear an explanation and then effectively “cancelling” it via stating 

3 hours ago, Francis Clare said:

It has nothing to do with the expression of one's inner life.....

If you know that a habit has nothing to do an inner life then you are closed to any argument contrary to your conviction and this is fine by me.

I actually answered your question, of how a habit can be an outward reflection of the inner life, in the posting above and also in the other, related thread where I quoted the Greek nun, about how her life change after she was given a habit, how she felt she became anonymous and totally given to God. Of course, she felt being totally given to God not because she was wearing a habit but a habit was a symbol of it and a tool as well and this is how it reflected her spirituality.

Being a psychologist, I think it is hard to deny that a man is a symbolic creature and the symbols he makes/uses reflect who he is, some aspects of his being. Even the avatars on this forum reflect it. If a symbol reflects a person/something of him then it cannot be treated as something “purely external”. For example, an Eastern Orthodox is about to become a Sister. The whole ritual is about leaving behind her old life and giving herself to God. Some of her hairs being cut off (a symbol), a new black habit is given (a symbol) and even a new name (another symbol). That black habit then becomes a symbol of her new life. It says “I am set aside, I am all for God, I deny myself and so on”. A habit then is an organic part of her new life, a symbol. It also releases a person from thinking how she looks etc. It imposes certain mode of existence and raises questions like “Am I true on my habit?” “Am I bringing a shame on my habit?” It is not so different from lay considerations, of a solder who does not wish to bring a shame on his uniform or a banner.

There are many purely psychological considerations one may mention. Some are about an attachment and are very humane, like a tendency of a healthy human psyche to endear things which belong to someone whom she loves. For example, someone fell in love with Carmelite spirituality and developed also a fondness for how a Carmelite habit looks like. Here her love for the peculiar look of a Carmelite habit and a desire, if she enters a convent, to wear it, is a reflection of her affection for the Carmelite spirituality i.e. purely internal.

Edited by Anastasia

adoro.te.devote

Thanks to everyone who gave information about new communities and habits!

About habits, I think the reason I'd be interested in wearing one if i ever become a religious, is because it's not just clothing, but it's a blessed garment that seems to reflect the consecrated life and the public nature of the Religious profession... it is not just about me anymore, and the habit reflects that spiritual reality. It is also significant that habits are present in both the East and the West - this custom developed in religious life despite cultural differences.

I also think exterior signs really help the interior life. That's just part of being human.. I noticed that having some exterior signs of my religious commitments are helpful to me as an encouragement/reminder. This is why I wear a crucifix, a "little chain" to symbolize my Consecration to Mary, etc. I see rings the same way to symbolize a vow of chastity, and habits to symbolize the consecrated life..

Edited by adoro.te.devote

57 minutes ago, Anastasia said:

As a psychologist you may appreciate that you created a conflicting message (not a double bind though) via expressing the desire to hear an explanation and then effectively “cancelling” it via stating 

If you know that a habit has nothing to do an inner life then you are closed to any argument contrary to your conviction and this is fine by me.

I actually answered your question, of how a habit can be an outward reflection of the inner life, in the posting above and also in the other, related thread where I quoted the Greek nun, about how her life change after she was given a habit, how she felt she became anonymous and totally given to God. Of course, she felt being totally given to God not because she was wearing a habit but a habit was a symbol of it and a tool as well and this is how it reflected her spirituality.

Being a psychologist, I think it is hard to deny that a man is a symbolic creature and the symbols he makes/uses reflect who he is, some aspects of his being. Even the avatars on this forum reflect it. If a symbol reflects a person/something of him then it cannot be treated as something “purely external”. For example, an Eastern Orthodox is about to become a Sister. The whole ritual is about leaving behind her old life and giving herself to God. Some of her hairs being cut off (a symbol), a new black habit is given (a symbol) and even a new name (another symbol). That black habit then becomes a symbol of her new life. It says “I am set aside, I am all for God, I deny myself and so on”. A habit then is an organic part of her new life, a symbol. It also releases a person from thinking how she looks etc. It imposes certain mode of existence and raises questions like “Am I true on my habit?” “Am I bringing a shame on my habit?” It is not so different from lay considerations, of a solder who does not wish to bring a shame on his uniform or a banner.

There are many purely psychological considerations one may mention. Some are about an attachment and are very humane, like a tendency of a healthy human psyche to endear things which belong to someone whom she loves. For example, someone fell in love with Carmelite spirituality and developed also a fondness for how a Carmelite habit looks like. Here her love for the peculiar look of a Carmelite habit and a desire, if she enters a convent, to wear it, is a reflection of her affection for the Carmelite spirituality i.e. purely internal.

You answered well.

56 minutes ago, adoro.te.devote said:

This is why I wear a crucifix, a "little chain" to symbolize my Consecration to Mary, etc. I see rings the same way to symbolize a vow of chastity, and habits to symbolize the consecrated life..

Interesting. You made me think of my wedding ring. It is naturally very special to me as an external symbol of my vows. The inside is engraved: "amore morte potentior" ; love is stronger than death. Although I do not wear it always (eg when washing my hair or the dishes) and I am by no means less married when I do not - it has a real psychological impact. I often look at it, and ponder the words inside. I think it is a symbol noted by the world as well, but that is secondary in my opinion. 

adoro.te.devote
3 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

You answered well.

Interesting. You made me think of my wedding ring. It is naturally very special to me as an external symbol of my vows. The inside is engraved: "amore morte potentior" ; love is stronger than death. Although I do not wear it always (eg when washing my hair or the dishes) and I am by no means less married when I do not - it has a real psychological impact. I often look at it, and ponder the words inside. I think it is a symbol noted by the world as well, but that is secondary in my opinion. 

Yes! I think images are very powerful because as human beings we are both body and soul.. I wear a ring to symbolize my vocation and like you said, if I'm not wearing it, it doesn't mean I've changed my mind - but I just like seeing it throughout the day and it is a good reminder.. not because I forget, but because it helps me reflect. :) This is just something between Jesus and me, but if I ever become a Sister, it would be nice to wear something that reminds me of the vows. A ring can be a symbol of a vow of chastity, but a habit makes me think of the vow of poverty, as well as belonging to a community in general.

I am not a religious, but what I really do like about the religious habit is that it is a very strong and powerful, obvious, witness that Jesus and His Gospel are alive and well in society.  I think it witnesses as nothing else and without saying one word.

I really do like the religious garb of Islamic women, which does state just how alive and well is their religion in society.  At the same time, it is a quite attractive garb.  These women do wear it with such quiet and humble dignity and womanhood that it speaks well of them.

I dont think there is anything actually written in official Church legislation re the religious habit and when it can or cannot be worn?  A  question.

I think nuns should  wear proper habits. Fair enough to change into suitable clothing for work when appropriate. But the complete abandoning of the habit is not a good thing.  It's interesting that the orders getting new vocations are the ones that wear habits it seems.