An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any other Religious on here?

Sister Andrew

Sister Andrew

+

Hello everyone,

I had lurked on the phorum for a  while years ago and eventually made an account but wasn't that active. 

I'm a perpetually professed member of my community. (not sure I want to share too much personal info but it's actually all over social media anyway so some of you may actually know my community and who I am!) 

Any other Religious on here? 

Anyone have a question for a Sister?

Edited by Sister Andrew
typos

sr.christinaosf

Yep! :) 

I mostly share posts from the blog I do for my Franciscan community (Our Franciscan Fiat), but also put my two cents in here and there.

Nice to meet you.  I haven't seen you on social media though. 

PaxCordisJesu

Hello, Sister Andrew! Nice to meet you. Do you have any advice for discerning a vocation to a particular community? Additionally, what are some signs of a healthy religious community? Thanks!

Sister Leticia

Hello! I'm a religious, and I've been here for quite a while now. I'm a Religious of the Sacred Heart, from the UK. I post here intermittently. 

Your reference to your name being all over social media makes me wonder if you've recently made your perpetual vows? - in which case, congratulations, and wishing you many years of grace and perseverance in mutual loving fidelity.

Sister Andrew

Hello all,

it's good to "meet" you! I meant that my community is all over the internet because I'm a Daughter of St. Paul! (Our mission is to evangelize with all forms of media) and I'm the only Sr. Andrew I've come across on social media platforms! 

@Sister Leticia I made perpetual vows four years ago (wow, time flies!) but thank you for your kind words!

Sister Andrew
On 11/8/2020 at 7:18 PM, PaxCordisJesu said:

Hello, Sister Andrew! Nice to meet you. Do you have any advice for discerning a vocation to a particular community? Additionally, what are some signs of a healthy religious community? Thanks!

@PaxCordisJesu, thank you for your questions. From my perspective, a first good step in discerning with a particular community is to be in communication with the community and to inquire about a come and see visit. 

If you mean that you are trying to discern which community to choose I would say, look at their spirituality and charism and see if those attract you. Sometimes you may be attracted to a spirituality or a charism or apostolate that you have no experience with and that's not a bad thing (the Holy Spirit. is full of surprises!) Eventually it does come down to visiting, if you and the community are open to a visit.

There are probably other threads on healthy religious communities (and other religious, please feel free to chime in!) But some things that come to mind are:

A community life supported and enlivened by community prayer

Fidelity to the Holy Father and the bishops

unity and collaboration, in light of their charism, with the local church.

Those are some things that come to mind and I have to go now but if I think of others I'll put them here. 

God bless,

Sr. Andrew