An Old School Catholic Message Board

CMV: Dishwashing Machines Are Pointless

ardillacid

1. They do not save time. Most dishes if washed immediately after dinner require nothing more than a quick wipedown with a soapy sponge & rinse with cold water. At least a few dishes per load don't get fully cleaned and have to be handwashed. Dishes come out wet and have to be dried. 

2. The heat cycle destroys your dishes. Handwashing your dishes in cool or warm water will extend their life indefinitely. 

3. They promote a procrastination mentality.  If you need proof of this, consider how long clean dishes sit in your dishwasher while everyone hopes someone else unloads it. Take two minutes, wash & dry your dishes, put them away, and be done with it. 

4. They are bad for your back. How many times do you bend over using improper form (twisting & bending) for every load of dishes? Multiply that out times 100x per year for the next 50 years of your life. 

5. They cause marital/roommate issues since most people don't know how to properly load a dishwasher. :cyclops:

6. Leaks are probably rare, but I know two families that had to replace their entire kitchen because slow leaks destroyed their cabinets and flooring.

7. And for you hippies, they are bad for the environment. Think of the tons of earth mined, the diesel fuel burned while raping the earth, and the Chinese slave labor used to manufacture it.  Ultimately it ends up in a mountain of trash, decomposing and polluting the effluent for the next 1000 years. 

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. 

1. With a wife who doesn't do dishes and four children, I rebuke this point. A dishwasher saves a ton of time, and when properly loaded, no dish is left unclean.

2. Not if you are using the correct types of dishes, aka Corelle dishes. Dishwasher safe, microwave safe, doesn't put toxins in your food, lightweight, durable. Any other material of dishes is unacceptable to a reasonable person.

3. If you have a family of procrastinators, this is a terrible point to make, as a procrastinating family would leave heaps of dirty dishes waiting to be cleaned in the sink--which is far worse than leaving clean dishes sitting in a dishwasher.

4. Science would tell you that standing in one place doing dishes is actually worse for your back than constant movement and stretching of your back. Please don't try to battle science. It's a losing proposition.

5. Agreed.

6. Any manly man would never allow this to happen. A leak is no match for a renaissance man properly trained in the art of everything.

7. I take all my used appliances to a scrap metal place, where they usually give me anywhere from $7-$12 per appliance, depending on the current market. They destroy them and recycle all the materials. Furthermore, according to several Google searches, it is more environmentally friendly to use a dishwasher rather than hand-washing dishes because it uses 3 to 4 times less water.

Dishwasher are pointless.  All the dishing that have gold, and pots can not be put into the dishwasher, anyway.  So, you are force to wash some by hand.  By that time, you might as well wash all the dishes, and just be done.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:53 AM, dUSt said:

If you have a family of procrastinators, this is a terrible point to make, as a procrastinating family would leave heaps of dirty dishes waiting to be cleaned in the sink--which is far worse than leaving clean dishes sitting in a dishwasher.

I descend from a line of the world’s finest procrastinators and I have to agree with @ardillacid . My family has  a dishwasher with major issues. When it works no one unloads it and someone is always forced to race to empty it in time for the next meal’s load, whereas every time it’s broken the dishes get done quickly because despite our aversion to hasty work, nobody wants to have a kitchen full of dirty dishes to wash and put away. 

Maybe it’s just because the dishwasher at home barely works, but when we use it we have to make sure every dish is pristine before loading it so that it’ll come clean. It doesn’t make any sense because we might as well just use a tiny bit more soap and dry and put away the dish. We also have a very large family and never have we been able to fit all the dishes used at dinner in one load. We go to the effort of scrubbing and rinsing before loading, and then we end up having to hand-wash the extra dishes that don’t fit. Some of us have pretty much stopped using the dishwasher completely because we deem it a total waste of time and water.

PaxCordisJesu
On 12/8/2020 at 12:29 AM, SicutColumba said:

We also have a very large family and never have we been able to fit all the dishes used at dinner in one load. We go to the effort of scrubbing and rinsing before loading, and then we end up having to hand-wash the extra dishes that don’t fit.

Agreed! I absolutely cannot stand the idea of pulling dishes off the table and putting them straight in the dishwasher still dirty. I get a sponge and scrub them clean, so it actually is kind of pointless to put them in the dishwasher at all. And my family's dishes don't fit either!

I also come from a large family.  We take turns doing the dishes.  At the end of the day, the dishes are clean, dry and put away.

• dUSt featured this topic

We do not have a dishwasher, because my mom hates them.  And they take longer then if we do the dishes.  And we use less water.

PaxCordisJesu

I'm not against dishwashers, I just don't think they're essential. I prefer washing dishes by hand, drying them, and putting them away over having to wait forever on the dishwasher 

• 5 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, dUSt said:

1. With a wife who doesn't do dishes and four children, I rebuke this point. A dishwasher saves a ton of time, and when properly loaded, no dish is left unclean.

2. Not if you are using the correct types of dishes, aka Corelle dishes. Dishwasher safe, microwave safe, doesn't put toxins in your food, lightweight, durable. Any other material of dishes is unacceptable to a reasonable person.

3. If you have a family of procrastinators, this is a terrible point to make, as a procrastinating family would leave heaps of dirty dishes waiting to be cleaned in the sink--which is far worse than leaving clean dishes sitting in a dishwasher.

4. Science would tell you that standing in one place doing dishes is actually worse for your back than constant movement and stretching of your back. Please don't try to battle science. It's a losing proposition.

5. Agreed.

6. Any manly man would never allow this to happen. A leak is no match for a renaissance man properly trained in the art of everything.

7. I take all my used appliances to a scrap metal place, where they usually give me anywhere from $7-$12 per appliance, depending on the current market. They destroy them and recycle all the materials. Furthermore, according to several Google searches, it is more environmentally friendly to use a dishwasher rather than hand-washing dishes because it uses 3 to 4 times less water.

Dude you have free labor to do the dishes for you and you still use this useless technology? This is why America is weak. The younglings are soft. 

I’ve lived without a dishwasher for the last ten years, and I can’t see a scenario where I start using one again. You have to wash the pots, pans, and everything baby-related by hand. Washing a couple extra plates and forks is nothing. 

Personally I have come to enjoy the experience of it. Washing dishes by hand has made my life a little simpler, a little slower. I think if anyone tried washing dishes by hand for a year they wouldn’t go back.

I read on Reddit it’s common among some Asian American cultures to use dishwashers as storage for extra dishes since they also wash all dishes by hand. Asian Americans also happen to be the most successful group in America. Coincidence??? 

• 3 weeks later...
Ash Wednesday

I have never rinsed dishes with cold water. I was always taught scalding hot to ensure that germs are killed. I love our dishwasher and I wish we would have gotten one sooner. 

And thanks to dUSt, I asked for, and got: Corelle for Christmas.