An Old School Catholic Message Board

What is your favorite prayerbook/devotional etc?

Ice_nine

So I struggle with prayer. I struggle to stay consistent (it doesn't help that my work schedule is all over the place therefore establishing routine such as waking up and going to sleep at the same time is a challenge). I try the Rosary, but struggle to stay consistent, especially to stay focused. And my "talking honestly with God" can quickly fall down the rabbit-hole into something rather self-indulgent.

Are there any recommendations out there? I think something that would be helpful is a devotional with a different prayer I can say every morning. Something not super dumbed down but still bite-sized. I don't have a smart-phone so apps are out. It could be online but ideally I would like to just keep something by my bedside so I don't have to fire up the laptop every morning.

I find 'Divine Intimacy' by Fr Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, OCD to be extremely helpful for "sinking" into a prayer because it stirs affections for God (a Theresian goal). You can see the description here
https://www.sistersofcarmel.com/divine-intimacy-fr-gabriel-of-st-mary-magdalen.php

Another thing you could try is to read Psalms aloud, a new one every day. Just find a good translation (i.e. not dry). 

Also, I find the poetry of Jessica Powers to be helpful. 

Edited by Anastasia