An Old School Catholic Message Board

Health problems

MaríaHernández

MaríaHernández

Hello! I am new here. My name is María. I am discerning being a Dominican contemplative nun. The thing is that I have physical health problems. I have two. First one is that I am lactose intolerant. I don't think that it would be a huge problem because here in Spain it is very easy to find lactose free milk, cheese, yoghurt, butter... or you could simply replace it in some recipes. I have learnt to do this and I think that would be alright. The one that worries me a bit more is my chronic back pain. God has taught me that its purpose is offering it up for different causes. I can't lift heavy weights or do things like shopping for food. I can do things like cooking, my bed, cleaning... but there are things that cause me a lot of pain, specially weight. Do you think this would be an issue? Soon I will be approaching a community that I think God could be calling me to, but I am scared that I would be turned away. I have contacted 2 Dominican communities when discerning this order, just with doubts, telling them that I wasn't thinking of joining now. One said that it would be a problem and one said that it would be ok, that while I wouldn't be able to do some things, I could do many others. And that one can have some illnesses but be very cheerful and cheerfulness is a greater good. 

Any advice? Any experience on this?

Most communities would require a medical exam before entrance. Back pain doesn't necessarily mean any grave problem. Why don't you just ask them?

Are you having treatment for your back pain and has the cause been diagnosed. I think it would be a concern to a community but that doesn't mean they wouldn't accept you.  Only a doctor could decide how it would impact on your life there. It's impossible to give you a straight answer on here.  If an order abstained from meat  eating I'd imagine they'd get protein from dairy. This might be a problem but  I couldn't say. 

Just now, GraceUk said:

Are you having treatment for your back pain and has the cause been diagnosed. I think it would be a concern to a community but that doesn't mean they wouldn't accept you.  Only a doctor could decide how it would impact on your life there. It's impossible to give you a straight answer on here.  If an order abstained from meat  eating I'd imagine they'd get protein from dairy. This might be a problem but  I couldn't say. 

Agreed, it really depends on the order. Just be honest with them to begin with, and this way they can let you know right away if that is problematic to be able to enter into their community.

MaríaHernández
32 minutes ago, GraceUk said:

Are you having treatment for your back pain and has the cause been diagnosed.

I am now going to the physiotherapist but I am willing to give that up. The cause is scoliosis and mild deformities in my body which cause muscle knots.

31 minutes ago, FutOSBSis said:

Agreed, it really depends on the order. Just be honest with them to begin with, and this way they can let you know right away if that is problematic to be able to enter into their community.

Yes. I will be honest with them. It is just that I wanted to know if you had any experience with this ot if you knew if this would be a problem. I am a bit scared about this, but it's true, the only way to find out is to let them know. Thank you!

Edited by MaríaHernández

10 minutes ago, MaríaHernández said:

I am now going to the physiotherapist but I am willing to give that up. The cause is scoliosis and mild deformities in my body which cause muscle knots.

Yes. I will be honest with them. It is just that I wanted to know if you had any experience with this ot if you knew if this would be a problem. I am a bit scared about this, but it's true, the only way to find out is to let them know. Thank you!

In my former community one of the postulants had back issues, and was still accepted. They knew she was limited in what she could do.

Just as an encouragement, I knew of a Poor Clare nun that was born with a physical deformity which prohibited her from kneeling or even just sitting on a normal chair. All she could do was take a little weight off by sitting on the edge of a tall stool. She could not even do all the chores that normal postulants and novices would do. However, the Poor Clares felt strongly that she had a vocation, accepted her, and she was professed with the community.

There is certainly no guarantee that all communities will overlook your problems. There is not even a guarantee that one will. However, have confidence that if God is truly calling you to religious life, He will also call a very special community to accept you. 

MaríaHernández
2 hours ago, FutOSBSis said:

In my former community one of the postulants had back issues, and was still accepted. They knew she was limited in what she could do.

1 hour ago, JHFamily said:

Just as an encouragement, I knew of a Poor Clare nun that was born with a physical deformity which prohibited her from kneeling or even just sitting on a normal chair. All she could do was take a little weight off by sitting on the edge of a tall stool. She could not even do all the chores that normal postulants and novices would do. However, the Poor Clares felt strongly that she had a vocation, accepted her, and she was professed with the community.

There is certainly no guarantee that all communities will overlook your problems. There is not even a guarantee that one will. However, have confidence that if God is truly calling you to religious life, He will also call a very special community to accept you. 

Thank you! I know that these stories don't necessarily mean that I'd be accepted but it is such a relief. When you read the requirements you always get that you need to be healthy mentally and physically so I wasn't sure if some small health problems could be fine.

2 hours ago, gloriana35 said:

Who knows? There may be a physiotherapist IN the community. 

There's a physician's assistant and a dentist in the Baltimore Carmel.

You might want to look into the Congregation of Jesus Crucified, which is particularly open to those with chronic health issues. Here is their US Website: 

https://www.jesuscrucified.net/