An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gifts for final vows

OneHeart

Going to be attending the ceremonies for some Franciscans - final vows, temporary vows, and transitional diaconate.  Are there traditional gifts for these events? Or any suggestions that may not be so "traditional" but are often super helpful for these fine young men?  Thanks in advance! 

gloriana35

What gifts they could accept (that would not be taken away) can vary according to community. If you know anyone from that community, who'd be inclined to be frank, ask. Best not to ask your friends - they may think they must say 'make a donation' (and donations to the community may not benefit the members at all.) 

NadaTeTurbe

For this kind of occasion, I like to ask their friends or whoever is managing the day to day life in the community, and offer concert ticket (we have an opera who isn't too expensive in my city) or cinema ticket, either just for the person doing profession, or for the groupe of person having profession at the moment. With their vow of poverty, they may not enjoy it very often.

Another possibility, depending on the community, is to provide a 6-month or yearly subscription to Netflix or some other streaming service. That way the recipient can enjoy the gift with others in the community. I used to do this for a friend in a Carmel which had a "movie night" every Friday, during the days when Netflix was a DVD service.