Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

+JMJ+

you know, I really want to fast one day, but my mom would think I'm wierd and would say "you are taking this church stuff too far..." :no: does anyone else have Catholic parents who would be the same way? :argue:

If I do fast, it will be most of the day, and then I'd eat at dinner so no one would suspect anything... but it can't be during the weekend... I don't like this...

God Bless and Mary Protect...
Yours in the Most Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,'

FutureNunJMJ +

ilovechrist
Posted

?!?!

right now my mom's on a 5 day fast. i'm STILL not sure why...

Posted

I won't eat meat on Fridays and it took over a year before my parents started going along with it. :)

daugher-of-Mary
Posted

My mom got upset at me for fasting...so yeah, no more of that unless I can manage discreetly. I stopped eating meat on Fridays a few years ago because I found out that my Byzantine Rite still requires it, and eventually my parents joined me. My parents are ROCK SOLID Catholics, and I love them very much. I think it's just a parent thing to worry about your kids. Ya know?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

You know it probably might be partially that, but I will manage to be sneaky... In college, It'll happen a lot, and not even on purpose... If I get really into something I'm working on, food can wait untill later!

RemnantRules
Posted

There are different ways you can fast. Yes you can not eat all day except for just drinking water. You can also just eat Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner only! But it's just one of those Crosses you'll have to bear in your life even if you family doesn't like it! My parents don't like alot what i do but if it's for God and giving glory to him then i say do it no matter what, but otherwise, honor thy father and mother.

Posted

I really want to start fasting more, like on wednesdays on fridays, i'm kinda going to go in steps, first thing i'm doing is not having any snacks.

Posted

My parents are okay if I do it once in awhile, but my mom gets worried about me, so I usually still eat supper during the school year so she won't "freak out". I just don't each as much lunch then.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

During the School year last year, I missed lunch a lot simple because I was busy during lunch working on art projects... but the not so cool part was when I got home I'd snack and then eat dinner and dessert then go to bed... So I'd est in the afternoon and evenings only a lot... But I think I will try sometime this summer...

I've done the 30 hr. famine before... my parents didn't have a problem with that one... in fact I've done that 3 times so far I think... They've never said anything about it...

This summer I need to watch what I am eating too... I am eating way too much and most of it is junk foods... I need to lighten my meals up... I like food and my family eats a lot of food too... it will be a challange though!

MichaelFilo
Posted

Personally, I am under a bit of stricter rules. My mom is a Syriac Catholic, and my father is a Kaldian ( SP? ). Anyways, my mom was used to fasting on Wednesdays and Saturdays ( The Saturdays were for our blessed Virgin ). Well, I went on and added Friday >.< So now 3 out of 7 days I'm not eating meat, which isn't so bad, until Friday comes, and then my mom has to make something special for me. I am sure once school starts this may be a bit of a prob. Anyways, I went ahead and tried a tridium (sp?) ( it's the 3 days of no food, except for receiving the Eucharist daily and water ). I went ahead and did about 2 days and a half, and then my mother made me eat. >.< I was like thats not cool. Anyways, I asked the local priest he said, I'm a bit too young. I was like, gee golly this stinks. Anyways, that was a bit of a story. :/ I'm very new to this posting stuff.

Posted

I've been able to fast w/o my parents finding out. :huh: It's really not too hard for me. ^_^

My father is concerned mostly because I am a distance runner and I usually need to eat. But when a fast day coincides with a day-off from running, then I'm usually fine. But yeah, it can be a lil aggravating. Just being protective, I suppose.

shelly_freak
Posted

well my parents wont be home so it'll work out great! i'll just have to drink water all day at 6 flags. ill do it for the cause

Posted

My dad is the one who encouraged me to fast, we both fast on Wed and Fri. it takes a lot of discipline especially at first

shelly_freak
Posted

i wish my parents were encouaging like that, my mom is catholic but i feel she is always making me defend the faith. well if nothing else it had made me stronger, i can argue my reasons for what i believe in very well.

Posted

maybe they'll learn in time Shelly !!

shelly_freak
Posted

well i have been talking more seriously to my mom lately, hopefu;;y she'll learn

Posted (edited)

give it time and be patient :) Your yearning to be able to fast is perfect enough :) since you are unable to :)

Edited by StColette
Agnt_rubber_duckyGodSquad04
Posted

shelly i love you

shelly_freak
Posted

thanks nicole, i luv u too

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

My parents think I'm a bit extreme for my fasts, because they think that a bread and water fast includes toppings for the bread...

What they really can't stand is that I won't go to any stores which help to fund abortions. That includes movies starring known advocates of abortion (I couldn't see the new Spiderman because of Kirsten Dunst). The funny thing, they are pro-life, but seem to think that it is ridiculous to offer up suffering or lacking any luxuries for the sake of Christ.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...