An Old School Catholic Message Board

first certified fatality of the 911 attack

little2add

Robert Emmett Judge

AE862827-122-C-4-E4-E-92-A0-BF3-F31-A3-B

(born Robert Emmett Judge; May 11, 1933 – September 11, 2001), was an American Franciscan friar and Catholic priest who served as a chaplain to the New York City Fire Department. While serving in that capacity he was killed, becoming the first certified fatality of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

A Priest On 'The Next Level'

Von Essen says there were a lot of heroes that day, and Mychal Judge was one.

"I think he took the goodness part of being a priest to the next level," he says, his voice thick. "You're expected to do certain things as a police officer, a fire fighter, a soldier. You're expected to do certain things as a priest. But then there's the guy who takes it to the next level. And that was him."

Three hundred forty three firemen died that day. Craig Monahan, who barely survived, says that the way Father Mychal died is fitting.

"I think he wouldn't have had it any other way," he says. "It was as if he took the lead, all those angels, right through heaven's gates, you know. That's what it seemed like to us. And I guess if any of those guys were confused on the way up, he was there to kind of ease the transition from this life to the next."

RIP

ReasonableFaith

It is edifying to see Mychal Judge, ofm memorialized here. He was a man who’s life and ministry was largely dedicated to the marginalized. He had compassion, empathy, and love for those so many had rejected and cast aside. He advocated for the civil rights of all and for the poor and suffering. 

That picture of them carrying him out of the rubble will never leave me along with many others. God bless them all. I read a book about him that was very good too.