An Old School Catholic Message Board

Elon Musk on track to be worlds first trillionaire

Mercedes

Elon Musk, the world’s richest person, with an estimated $241bn fortune, could become the first trillionaire, an investment bank has predicted.

Analysts at Morgan Stanley forecast that Musk, who has made most of his wealth from the electric car company Tesla, could make much more money from his fledgling space exploration business SpaceX.

The analyst Adam Jonas said the company, founded in 2002, was “challenging any preconceived notion of what was possible and the timeframe possible, in terms of rockets, launch vehicles and supporting infrastructure”.

He added: “More than one client has told us if Elon Musk were to become the first trillionaire ... it won’t be because of Tesla. Others have said SpaceX may eventually be the most highly valued company in the world – in any industry.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/20/spacex-could-make-elon-musk-world-first-trillionaire-says-morgan-stanley

An economic structure that allows this to happen while so many people in poverty, is as bad as Communism in my opinion.  In Pope StJPII's first papal tour he spoke about an ideal society here...

To construct this more just world means, among other things, making every effort in order that there will be no children without sufficient food, without education, without instruction; that there will be no young people without a suitable preparation; that, in order to live and to develop in a worthy way, there will be no peasants without land; that there will be no workers ill-treated or deprived of their rights; that there will be no systems that permit the exploitation of man by man or by the State; that there will be no corruption; that there will be no persons living in superabundance, while others through no fault of their own lack everything; that there will not be so many families badly formed, broken, disunited, receiving insufficient care; that there will be no injustice and inequality in the administration of justice; that there will be no one without the protection of the law, and that law will protect all alike; that force will not prevail over truth and law, but truth and law over force; and that economic or political matters will never prevail over human matters.

As Catholics we need to find this news of excess accumulation, suspicious and unjust.

• 3 weeks later...

Catholic Docteine of social justice distates that the rich have a responsibility to care for society forst and foremost.

JP the Great wrote about this in one of his encyclicals.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:11 AM, Mercedes said:As Catholics we need to find this news of excess accumulation, suspicious and unjust.

What is the standard that accumulation is unjust?    Did Elon get rich by preying on the ignorant, or did he instead get rewarded for using his talents to accumulate more?

Elon has, and is, doing much to push the development of technologies that has improved society.   It can be argued that his will has caused the widespread use of electric cars and broadened the market where other companies are now providing them as well.  

That took a lot of capital controlled by one will.   Corporations would never have entertained taking that risk, and didn’t until Elon proved the entire concept.    Just a few years ago, people were speculating that Elon was an idiot and would become bankrupt.  

On 11/11/2021 at 4:45 PM, Anomaly said:

Elon has, and is, doing much to push the development of technologies that has improved society. 

Debatable. I mean I can use technology to learn calculus or something, but I can also sit on my arse while someone drops off Big Macs at my door while I drool through a doomscroll on tiktok for three hours straight.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:11 PM, Mercedes said:

As Catholics we need to find this news of excess accumulation, suspicious and unjust.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, Didacus said:

Catholic Docteine of social justice distates that the rich have a responsibility to care for society forst and foremost.

huh,... wonder if musk is going to put his money to work (for charity) given

...his trust sold $5.8 billion worth of Tesla stock in the open market after Twitter users voted for him to sell 10% of his shares in an online poll he created. He sold an additional $1.1 billion worth of Tesla stock to pay taxes associated with the exercising of stock options. read more 

More stock sales are expected given that he has sold only about 3% of his Tesla shares thus far. He has not disclosed what he will do with the proceeds, yet the cash haul has already created a buzz among major charities which are always vying for wealthy donors.

https://www.reuters.com/business/musks-5-billion-tesla-stock-haul-has-charity-circuit-buzzing-2021-11-12/

On 11/11/2021 at 1:45 PM, Anomaly said:

Elon has, and is, doing much to push the development of technologies,...

That took a lot of capital controlled by one will

being a tech geek, agree what musk has done to advance tech is indeed very impressive,... back in 2006 I actually had a chance to check out the roadster which was at the time still under development at the tesla HQ in San Carlos CA

as far as space x,... again I find what he has done developing a reusable man rated space launch vehicle very, very, very impressive

I've sorta followed musk's career for awhile and don't begrudge musk's wealth because he has created value,... also given his great wealth I find it refreshing to see that he continues to work hard (developing technology)

BTW if you want some insight as to why musk is pushing for computer driven cars (i.e. Tesla "autopilot" as a safety feature),... its because he realizes people are impulsive and can be reckless,... truth is musk is impulsive and can be reckless,... he has crashed a few vehicles like a McClaren F1 (which wasn't insured) and an FUV

https://insideevs.com/news/457993/elon-musk-crashed-arcimoto-three-wheel-ev/

for some insight about Tesla/space-x might I suggest you watch a YouTube video about a well respected tear down engineer (from Detroit) discussing his meeting w/ musk 

what I find refreshing about musk is given his all his wealth, is he does not spend money foolishly buying excessive "toys" acting "rich" like a fame seeking kardashian

actually since the topic of "catholic doctrine" was brought up,... I'd argue that musk is actually a better role model for society than some so-called believers (who preach and ascribe to the prosperity gospel)

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/06/1013430166/capitalism-god-wants-you-to-be-rich

political-prosperity-gospel-believers.pn

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 12:11 AM, Mercedes said:

Elon Musk, the world’s richest person, with an estimated $241bn fortune, could become the first trillionaire, an investment bank has predicted.

Analysts at Morgan Stanley forecast that Musk, who has made most of his wealth from the electric car company Tesla, could make much more money from his fledgling space exploration business SpaceX.

The analyst Adam Jonas said the company, founded in 2002, was “challenging any preconceived notion of what was possible and the timeframe possible, in terms of rockets, launch vehicles and supporting infrastructure”.

He added: “More than one client has told us if Elon Musk were to become the first trillionaire ... it won’t be because of Tesla. Others have said SpaceX may eventually be the most highly valued company in the world – in any industry.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/20/spacex-could-make-elon-musk-world-first-trillionaire-says-morgan-stanley

An economic structure that allows this to happen while so many people in poverty, is as bad as Communism in my opinion.  In Pope StJPII's first papal tour he spoke about an ideal society here...

To construct this more just world means, among other things, making every effort in order that there will be no children without sufficient food, without education, without instruction; that there will be no young people without a suitable preparation; that, in order to live and to develop in a worthy way, there will be no peasants without land; that there will be no workers ill-treated or deprived of their rights; that there will be no systems that permit the exploitation of man by man or by the State; that there will be no corruption; that there will be no persons living in superabundance, while others through no fault of their own lack everything; that there will not be so many families badly formed, broken, disunited, receiving insufficient care; that there will be no injustice and inequality in the administration of justice; that there will be no one without the protection of the law, and that law will protect all alike; that force will not prevail over truth and law, but truth and law over force; and that economic or political matters will never prevail over human matters.

The state has unlimited money. And it murders people.

Catholic answer: Worship the state and demand it take on even more power.

Edited by Winchester

Elon Musk says ‘civilization is going to crumble’ if people don’t have more childrenTesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk wants people to have more babies.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/07/elon-musk-civilization-will-crumble-if-we-dont-have-more-children.html

“There are not enough people,” Musk told a Wall Street Journal event Monday. “I can’t emphasize this enough, there are not enough people,” he said.

The tech billionaire said low and rapidly declining birth rates are “one of the biggest risks to civilization.”

His comments come as a growing number of people are deciding not to have children, citing concerns such as climate change and inequality.

Musk added that too many “good, smart people” think there are too many people in the world and that the population is growing out of control.

“It’s completely the opposite,” Musk said, urging people to look at the data. “If people don’t have more children, civilization is going to crumble. Mark my words.”

When asked if this is why he has so many children, the father of six said he’s trying to set a good example, adding that he has to practice what he preaches.

He's right!

23 hours ago, little2add said:

Elon Musk says ‘civilization is going to crumble’ if people don’t have more childrenTesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk wants people to have more babies.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/07/elon-musk-civilization-will-crumble-if-we-dont-have-more-children.html

“There are not enough people,” Musk told a Wall Street Journal event Monday. “I can’t emphasize this enough, there are not enough people,” he said.

The tech billionaire said low and rapidly declining birth rates are “one of the biggest risks to civilization.”

His comments come as a growing number of people are deciding not to have children, citing concerns such as climate change and inequality.

Musk added that too many “good, smart people” think there are too many people in the world and that the population is growing out of control.

“It’s completely the opposite,” Musk said, urging people to look at the data. “If people don’t have more children, civilization is going to crumble. Mark my words.”

When asked if this is why he has so many children, the father of six said he’s trying to set a good example, adding that he has to practice what he preaches.

He's right!

Traditionally immigration has saved countries with struggling populations.  It invites people with gratitude, hope and work ethic to contribute to the economy and is an holistic more natural way to address the problem.  Five of Elon Musks children were achieved with IVF and is a highly ideological way to increase population.  

I have to point out again that the thread was not an attack on Elon Musk but on a system that causes such inequity and disparity of wealth in this world.

We only need to worry about ourselves and our own injustices. I can't see that he did anything wrong to "accumulate" this wealth, as if he were picking it up off the ground and blocking others from doing likewise.

If we were to distribute his accumulation evenly throughout the entire world we would each get $32. Should I feel deprived of my $32?

Do you think that in economics if someone gains that someone else loses?

Edited by Vernon

20 hours ago, Vernon said:

We only need to worry about ourselves and our own injustices.

That isn't a Christian attitude though.

1 Corinthians 10:24 Try to do what is good for others, not just what is good for yourselves.

James 2 15 If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill,” and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? 17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

Apart from loving God ...

Mark 12 31 The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” 

Gal 6 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Phil 2 3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others. 5 Let the same mind be in you that was[a] in Christ Jesus,

I can't see that he did anything wrong to "accumulate" this wealth, as if he were picking it up off the ground and blocking others from doing likewise.

If we were to distribute his accumulation evenly throughout the entire world we would each get $32. Should I feel deprived of my $32?

The thread isn't about Musk himself, but the system that champions such disparity.

Do you think that in economics if someone gains that someone else loses?

Stepping back and realising that 30 to 40% of all food produced in the US goes to the garbage tip while millions within and outside the country lack food in varying degrees, behoves an examination of the system.

Thankfully that is one of the issues now being addressed by the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.  

11 hours ago, little2add said:

I didn’t know that.   Is he married to the same Woman.  I Wonder why?

:think2:

He has had 2 wives.  He had IVF twins and IVF triplets with the first.  No children with the second and has recently had one child with the singer Grimes but they have recently split up.

Edited by Mercedes

I meant we don't have to worry about someone else's injustice so much as be concerned with our own and our own sins. Of course we Catholics are obliged to be concerned about our neighbor and help those in need. (That doesn't mean, however, we need to support every government program that takes and redistributes).

But regarding the system that allowed him to be so wealthy--wonderful. The same system has allowed us to live better than kings did a couple of centuries ago.

13 hours ago, Mercedes said:

He has had 2 wives.  He had IVF twins and IVF triplets with the first.  No children with the second and has recently had one child with the singer Grimes but they have recently split up.

That’s really sad, I guess it’s true what they say that “money cannot buy happiness”

• 2 weeks later...
Credo in Deum

Isn’t he paying 11 billion in taxes for 2021? Yikes. 

On 10/21/2021 at 10:11 PM, Mercedes said:

An economic structure that allows this to happen while so many people in poverty, is as bad as Communism in my opinion. 

I love that you said this and then quoted JPII, a man who would have clearly disagreed that such an economic structure is worse than communism.