Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it wrong to pray a single novena for two separate intentions?


Recommended Posts

Posted

For instance, if one was to pray the Saint Joseph Novena for nine days, but for two petitions simultaneously for selling one's house and a new job (I believe that Saint is one to invoke in both instances). Is there any reason why one should not do this? Maybe I'm being scrupulous by feeling like I'm somehow "cheating" by praying a novena for two different petitions. 

Posted (edited)

It is never wrong to pray. I'm not sure it's possible to pray wrong. And give St. Joseph enough credit to hold two intentions in his heart/mind/soul at the same time. He's probably also dealing with a lot of other people and their intentions at the same time he's listening to your prayers. And I doubt that he needs an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the people and their intentions.

Edited by Luigi
Revised wording for clarity
Posted

Ask for all the things.

Michelle_christi
Posted

Also, that (I’m sure you didn’t mean it) type of thinking can run the risk of using novenas as magical wish granters. The novena in itself doesn’t have a slot machine power of granting requests. Novenas are merely a way to practice devotion and vocal prayer while requesting the intercession of the saint. So ask away for a million things!

Ash Wednesday
Posted

Not wrong at all. It's perfectly fine to pray for specific things and whatever else is God's will. Which covers a multitude of things.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...