Vernon Posted December 10, 2021 Posted December 10, 2021 I have some doubts about Our Lady of Guadalupe.
chrysostom Posted December 10, 2021 Posted December 10, 2021 I don't doubt any, but neither do I spend a lot of time worrying about it. Medjugorje is the (very much not officially approved) apparition which comes up in these kinds of discussions and that in my mind is totally bogus, no doubt about it. But as it's not even approved anyway that's outside the scope of the discussion. There are some locally (bishop-)approved apparitions which have not been approved by the universal church, and I do in general believe those too. But I don't exactly stay awake at night wondering about each one.
Lilllabettt Posted December 11, 2021 Posted December 11, 2021 On 12/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, Vernon said: I have some doubts about Our Lady of Guadalupe. I don't worry about it, you know why? Let's say it's a pious legend. Or a story someone made up to get a point across. Big deal. Our Lady is still queen of Guadalupe and Kentucky and Lisbon Spain and the whole universe actually. And she still loves us. Maybe the apparitions are like Santa clause; in which case our lady is like st nick... realer than real, truer than true
Ash Wednesday Posted December 11, 2021 Posted December 11, 2021 Generally I don't have issues with approved apparitions. Some relics, legends and miracles (i.e. not contained in public revelation) I find possibly a little bit sketchy...but I'll keep an open mind.
Vernon Posted December 11, 2021 Author Posted December 11, 2021 A Mexican Catholic told me that I had to believe in Our Lady of Guadalupe or I wasn't really a Catholic.
chrysostom Posted December 11, 2021 Posted December 11, 2021 (edited) 19 minutes ago, Vernon said: A Mexican Catholic told me that I had to believe in Our Lady of Guadalupe or I wasn't really a Catholic. Ask him/her what about Our Lady of Siluva? Eh? (You aren't required to, it's that simple.) Edited December 11, 2021 by chrysostom
Luigi Posted December 11, 2021 Posted December 11, 2021 Apparitions aren't dogma. I mean, I guess they could be, but at the moment, nothing from any apparition is listed as Catholic dogma. So "really a Catholic" is not defined by accepting Our Lady of Guadalupe. Obviously, she means a lot to many Catholics, and we should all be respectful of our sisters' & brothers' spiritual practices, but that's as far as it goes.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now