Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Veiling in Mass


Recommended Posts

ACatholicWifesLife3
Posted

I hope I am starting  this  right, I am new here..

1)I was wondering  if anyone else veils during  Mass? I am the only one  that veils at mine...

2nd) Am I the only one that thinks they should bring  veiling back?

Pax Christi 

Posted

My wife veils, and my 8- and 7-year old daughters do when they remember to bring them. It's relatively common at my parish, although by no means universal. Probably ~25% of women. I'm seeing it far more in the younger generations than the older ones. A lot of the women who veil are mothers of small children, so in their 30s generally. A lot of the teenage girls do as well, although it's not quite as common. Older women almost never veil in my parish. I don't know if my parish is representative but it certainly suggests a resurgence of the practice after the Boomers abandoned so much of our rich tradition and symbolism. 

Posted

"... after the Boomers abandoned so much of our rich tradition and symbolism."

Casting broad brush aspersions on an entire generation of your brothers and sister in Christ.

How very charitable of you. I will take you as my model of Christianity.

ACatholicWifesLife3
Posted

I go to Norvus Ordo  ,there is no TLM around me without being gone over 6 hours each time I'd attend. I how ever adhear to alot of the TLM..

Son and I converted in 2919 although  I watch Motger Angelica  long before finally converting..

I think tradition is very important...

ACatholicWifesLife3
Posted

*2019 oops lol

Posted
8 hours ago, ACatholicWifesLife3 said:

I go to Norvus Ordo  ,there is no TLM around me without being gone over 6 hours each time I'd attend. I how ever adhear to alot of the TLM..

Son and I converted in 2919 although  I watch Motger Angelica  long before finally converting..

I think tradition is very important...

I think tradition is important, too. But it wasn't The Boomers who all secretly got together and decided to "abandon so much rich tradition." It was the Pope and all the Cardinals - and by the way, none of them were The Boomers; they were all at least two generations older than The Boomers. 

ACatholicWifesLife3
Posted
8 hours ago, Luigi said:

"... after the Boomers abandoned so much of our rich tradition and symbolism."

Casting broad brush aspersions on an entire generation of your brothers and sister in Christ.

How very charitable of you. I will take you as my model of Christianity.

I just do not understand the Pope's thinking and actions on this..don't they understand  they are hurting the Church. 

Posted
11 hours ago, ACatholicWifesLife3 said:

I just do not understand the Pope's thinking and actions on this..don't they understand  they are hurting the Church. 

Many, many Catholics obviously disagree with you, including much (most? nearly all) of the hierarchy. And they've been Catholic a lot longer than 3 years. It is fine to express an opinion, but please do not state it as some kind of indisputable truth.

ACatholicWifesLife3
Posted
3 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

Many, many Catholics obviously disagree with you, including much (most? nearly all) of the hierarchy. And they've been Catholic a lot longer than 3 years. It is fine to express an opinion, but please do not state it as some kind of indisputable truth.

What I was referring to was posting one youtuber that use to be Novus Ordo, then because she had to wear mask started going to TLM then coming back to me saying I was NOT  a true catholic since I am only able to go to novus ordo and stating I need to stop going to Mass because I don't go to TLM so I stood up for myself and others who have NO Latin  Mass around me , and disagreed with her saying I do not go by Novus Ordo nor Traditional Catholic but I am a PROUD Catholic  and she became defensive which to.me is ridiculous 

12 hours ago, Luigi said:

I think tradition is important, too. But it wasn't The Boomers who all secretly got together and decided to "abandon so much rich tradition." It was the Pope and all the Cardinals - and by the way, none of them were The Boomers; they were all at least two generations older than The Boomers. 

Luigi I have a question. I do not recite the Luminous  Mystery,  and am trying to find an app

[I do not have an apple phone and go through Google playstore..]

I am looking for a good Rosary app to do the Daily Rosary, I know the Devine Mercy by heart..but would love an app so I can do the Joyful Mystery, Glorious Mystery, Sorrowful Mystery through an app.

8 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

Many, many Catholics obviously disagree with you, including much (most? nearly all) of the hierarchy. And they've been Catholic a lot longer than 3 years. It is fine to express an opinion, but please do not state it as some kind of indisputable truth.

What I was referring to was posting one youtuber that use to be Novus Ordo, then because she had to wear mask started going to TLM then coming back to me saying I was NOT  a true catholic since I am only able to go to novus ordo and stating I need to stop going to Mass because I don't go to TLM so I stood up for myself and others who have NO Latin  Mass around me , and disagreed with her saying I do not go by Novus Ordo nor Traditional Catholic but I am a PROUD Catholic  and she became defensive which to.me is ridiculous 

Posted
On 2/4/2022 at 10:05 PM, Luigi said:

"... after the Boomers abandoned so much of our rich tradition and symbolism."

Casting broad brush aspersions on an entire generation of your brothers and sister in Christ.

How very charitable of you. I will take you as my model of Christianity.

It's a generalization, and a true one.  It would be un-Christian if he were to single out specific people.

Each generation can be known by a specific virtue or vice (or both).  Millennials are beyond "very lazy".  Boomers did abandon a whole lot of tradition, but it was their parents' generation who set them up for failure by not teaching them the value of suffering, and instead teaching them to abhor suffering.  The so-called "greatest generation" started us down this path.

On 2/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, Nunsuch said:

Many, many Catholics obviously disagree with you, including much (most? nearly all) of the hierarchy. And they've been Catholic a lot longer than 3 years. It is fine to express an opinion, but please do not state it as some kind of indisputable truth.

The amount of time someone has been "Catholic" doesn't mean squat as to their understanding, anymore.  And, unfortunately, having credentials is now a greater indication that they don't know what they're talking about.

A 7-year-old who has memorized the Baltimore Catechism is probably in a better place, theologically, than many bishops.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:02 AM, ACatholicWifesLife3 said:

I hope I am starting  this  right, I am new here..

1)I was wondering  if anyone else veils during  Mass? I am the only one  that veils at mine...

2nd) Am I the only one that thinks they should bring  veiling back?

Pax Christi 

My wife covers her head, and in our parish the number of women who do so is growing.  Some have hesitated.  Some have started again who used to do so and stopped for various reasons.  It's inspiring to see women do this, and I honestly (naturally) have more respect for women who do. 

If they choose not to I don't hold it against them.

Posted
18 minutes ago, fides' Jack said:

It's a generalization, and a true one.  It would be un-Christian if he were to single out specific people.

Each generation can be known by a specific virtue or vice (or both).  Millennials are beyond "very lazy".  Boomers did abandon a whole lot of tradition, but it was their parents' generation who set them up for failure by not teaching them the value of suffering, and instead teaching them to abhor suffering.  The so-called "greatest generation" started us down this path.

The amount of time someone has been "Catholic" doesn't mean squat as to their understanding, anymore.  And, unfortunately, having credentials is now a greater indication that they don't know what they're talking about.

A 7-year-old who has memorized the Baltimore Catechism is probably in a better place, theologically, than many bishops.

My wife covers her head, and in our parish the number of women who do so is growing.  Some have hesitated.  Some have started again who used to do so and stopped for various reasons.  It's inspiring to see women do this, and I honestly (naturally) have more respect for women who do. 

If they choose not to I don't hold it against them.

Well, aren't YOU the generous soul. I'm sure the vast majority of women in the world are deeply grateful that you will "allow" them to wear what they choose.

And memorizing anything, including the outdated Baltimore Catechism, is certainly  no indication of actual faith, or belief. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

Well, aren't YOU the generous soul. I'm sure the vast majority of women in the world are deeply grateful that you will "allow" them to wear what they choose.

And memorizing anything, including the outdated Baltimore Catechism, is certainly  no indication of actual faith, or belief. 

I didn't use the word "allow".  You did.

Feminism is one of the greatest evils of our time.  A Catholic with a well-formed conscience would know that.

At 7 years old, absolutely reciting memorized questions/answers is indicative of actual faith.  It's not proof, but it's about the best indication you can get.  

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, fides' Jack said:

I didn't use the word "allow".  You did.

Feminism is one of the greatest evils of our time.  A Catholic with a well-formed conscience would know that.

At 7 years old, absolutely reciting memorized questions/answers is indicative of actual faith.  It's not proof, but it's about the best indication you can get.  

Feminism is worse than war, poverty, hatred, racism, greed, violence--and misogyny? This proud feminist disagrees. And I'll listen to my confessor about my conscience, not some anonymous ranter on Facebook. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. Sheesh!

Edited by Nunsuch
Edited word
Posted
1 minute ago, Nunsuch said:

Feminism is worse than war, poverty, hatred, racism, greed, and violence? This proud feminist disagrees. And I'll listen to my confessor about my conscience, not some anonymous ranter on Facebook. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. Sheesh!

Feminism is the cause of much war, poverty, hatred, racism, greed, and violence.  Most especially hatred, racism, greed, and violence.  So absolutely it is a greater evil than any of those things, individually.

You won't be excused from your radicalism when you meet your maker just because you listened to your confessor who did nothing to curb your prideful, feminist attitudes.  You have a duty to find a good confessor.

I mean, socialism has been condemned by the Church too.  That'd be like me saying, "I'm a proud socialist".  How can you be proud to be at odds with Holy Mother the Church?  I don't understand...  I will pray for you.

Posted
On 2/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, fides' Jack said:

Feminism is the cause of much war, poverty, hatred, racism, greed, and violence.  Most especially hatred, racism, greed, and violence.  So absolutely it is a greater evil than any of those things, individually.

Well I don't know about all that. It sounds like more @fides' Jack logic, which is the absence of logic. The Church clearly defines racism as sin. Nowhere does it broadly define "feminism" as sin. JP2 even wrote that Catholics should promote a new feminism.

There are certainly many aspects of current feminist thought that I disagree with, but it depends on the definition of "feminism" that you are applying, and the specific aspects of it that you are discussing. Heck the first wave of feminism simply wanted things like giving women things like the right to vote. I suppose you think that giving women the right to vote is right up there with racism?

On 2/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, fides' Jack said:

You won't be excused from your radicalism when you meet your maker just because you listened to your confessor who did nothing to curb your prideful, feminist attitudes.  You have a duty to find a good confessor.

Now that is down right hilarious. When I looked up "a good confessor" in the Catholic dictionary it did not state "a confessor who follows the teachings of @fides' Jack a random person on the internet".

On 2/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, fides' Jack said:

I mean, socialism has been condemned by the Church too.  That'd be like me saying, "I'm a proud socialist".  How can you be proud to be at odds with Holy Mother the Church?  I don't understand...  I will pray for you.

Well that's going a bit too far. It depends on what definition of socialism is being applied, and what aspects of it are being discussed. Some of you radical right people think that things like universal health care, medicare, social security, and numerous other public welfare programs are "socialism" and the Church does not condemn any of these things.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Peace said:

It sounds like more @fides' Jack logic, which is the absence of logic.

Thanks, dude.  

Maybe instead of throwing insults you could say that you don't understand my logic, or you don't see my logic, which is a far cry from this.

4 minutes ago, Peace said:

The Church clearly defines racism as sin. Nowhere does it broadly define "feminism" as sin. JP2 even wrote that Catholics should promote a new feminism.

I said it's the cause of racism.  And it is.  Ever hear of Margaret Sanger?

Pope Saint John Paul II was not right about everything.  That statement was his opinion.  But the "New Feminism" he espoused has nothing to do with the idea of feminism in modern culture, which has been condemned, repeatedly, by many priests and bishops.

7 minutes ago, Peace said:

There are certainly many aspects of current feminist thought that I disagree with, but it depends on the definition of "feminism" that you are applying, and the specific aspects of it that you are discussing.

Precisely.  If it's just the statement that women should be treated equally under the law to men, there is nothing wrong with that.

7 minutes ago, Peace said:

Heck the first wave of feminism simply wanted things like giving women things like the right to vote. I suppose you think that giving women the right to vote is right up there with racism?

Actually, that's not true.  They fought for the right to vote, but they also fought for sexual liberation, which was and is condemned by the Church.

9 minutes ago, Peace said:

Now that is down right hilarious. When I looked up "a good confessor" in the Catholic dictionary it did not state "a confessor who follows the teachings of @fides' Jack a random person on the internet".

You have a Catholic dictionary that actually has a specific definition for "good confessor"?

No, you need to read writings of saints and mystics or look to moral theologians to find this.

13 minutes ago, Peace said:

Well that's going a bit too far. It depends on what definition of socialism is being applied, and what aspects of it are being discussed.

Socialism in general has been condemned by the Church, so no, it's not too far.  I agree it depends on the definition you're using.  But of course there are aspects of shared society (which could be defined as socialism) that are necessary: police, military, etc...  

15 minutes ago, Peace said:

Some of you radical right people think that things like universal health care, medicare, social security, and numerous other public welfare programs are "socialism" and the Church does not condemn any of these things.

Those things are indeed socialism.  Whether or not the Church has condemned those things, individually, is not really the debate.  

But you have to admit that ALL of those programs are complete failures, which should be evidence enough that they should be condemned, even if the Church has not done so, specifically.

Something tells me you'll argue on that point.  If you do, I can't take anything you say or think on the matter seriously.  They are complete failures, and only someone who is willfully blind on the matter would disagree.

Posted
5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

Thanks, dude.  

Maybe instead of throwing insults you could say that you don't understand my logic, or you don't see my logic, which is a far cry from this.

Oh that was not an insult. It was merely a statement of fact.

Just like when you accused @Nunsuch of being prideful no?

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

I said it's the cause of racism.  And it is.  Ever hear of Margaret Sanger?

Every hear of Susan B. Anthony and the Tooth Fairy?

Your random name drop proves nothing. I am still searching for this supposed logic of yours. Please let me know where I can find it.

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

Pope Saint John Paul II was not right about everything.  That statement was his opinion.  But the "New Feminism" he espoused has nothing to do with the idea of feminism in modern culture, which has been condemned, repeatedly, by many priests and bishops.

This is precisely why many trads are functional Protestants for all practical purposes. No, it is not merely an "opinion". It is a teaching of the pope in Evangelium Vitae. This is exactly what many trads do - they only recognize infallibly defined statements by a pope as authoritative. Everything else is relegated to an "opinion" that they are free to reject or follow, just like the Protestant is free to church hop from one parish to the next, until he finds a pastor who agrees with his own conclusion.

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

They fought for the right to vote, but they also fought for sexual liberation, which was and is condemned by the Church.

By "sexual liberation" I assume you refer to the right to have pre-marital sex. Some feminists have advocated for that, some have not. There is nothing that prevents one from being a feminist and adhering to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

You have a Catholic dictionary that actually has a specific definition for "good confessor"?

Yes. In the same dictionary if you look up "Peace" it states "He who is almost always correct when writing on the internet".

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

No, you need to read writings of saints and mystics or look to moral theologians to find this.

But only the ones you agree with you, no doubt. The ones who disagree with you, they are all wrong, naturally.

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

Those things are indeed socialism.  Whether or not the Church has condemned those things, individually, is not really the debate.  

Look, you are the person on here who is personally accusing other Catholics as having sinned and having disagreed with the Church. You should recant what you wrote, or you should back it up. If you are going to back it up, then you need to clearly define what aspects of feminism, socialism, or whatever, that you think contradicts the Church, and then establish that @Nunsuch holds that view contradictory view.

We don't want to engage in rash judgment now do we?

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

But you have to admit that ALL of those programs are complete failures, which should be evidence enough that they should be condemned, even if the Church has not done so, specifically.

Something tells me you'll argue on that point.  If you do, I can't take anything you say or think on the matter seriously.  They are complete failures, and only someone who is willfully blind on the matter would disagree.

I find this amusing. Extremely amusing. The vast majority of Catholic bishops have openly supported those programs for about the past 100 years. Yet we are to condemn them because Pope @fides' Jack the First thinks that they are "complete failures"?

I've lived in a country with universal health care for over 5 years, and have had multiple serious medical procedures performed both there and in the USA. I'd take that system over the system here in the USA 7 out of 7 days of the week. As for medicare, my mother likely would have died many years earlier than she did were it not for the medical care that she received under that program.

Posted
On 2/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, fides' Jack said:

Feminism is the cause of much war, poverty, hatred, racism, greed, and violence.  Most especially hatred, racism, greed, and violence.  So absolutely it is a greater evil than any of those things, individually.

You won't be excused from your radicalism when you meet your maker just because you listened to your confessor who did nothing to curb your prideful, feminist attitudes.  You have a duty to find a good confessor.

I mean, socialism has been condemned by the Church too.  That'd be like me saying, "I'm a proud socialist".  How can you be proud to be at odds with Holy Mother the Church?  I don't understand...  I will pray for you.

Thanks. I'll leave my judgment to God, and not to an arrogant and pretentious (and ignorant) blowhard online. You must be so very pleased with yourself--knowing the mind of God with such depth and certainty. But isn't that plank in your eye really annoying?  

Meanwhile, please cite ANY evidence that feminism "causes" any of the things you allege. Really amazing that it can do so, since men pretty much control the world's governments. Some stupidity is breathtaking. 

Posted
7 hours ago, fides' Jack said:
8 hours ago, Peace said:

The Church clearly defines racism as sin. Nowhere does it broadly define "feminism" as sin. JP2 even wrote that Catholics should promote a new feminism.

I said it's the cause of racism.  And it is.  Ever hear of Margaret Sanger?

 

Yeah, because the theft of Indigenous people's lands and the enslavement of generations of Black people in America had NOTHING to do with racism and everything to do with feminism.  fides' Jack, I can't tell if you're really that ignorant or if you're just trying to troll people.  I hear that the Russian government has an entire building full of workers on the payroll who just sit around trolling English-language forums for the sole purpose of sowing division.  Please explain your intentions?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...