An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Synod

Vernon

What is this synod all about? After reading multiple explanations I still don't get it.

Can someone explain it please? (Without using the words "synod", "synodal", or "synodality" please).

At our parish next moth and I presume in parishes everywhere, after a holy hour, we will break down in groups and have discussions which are supposed to yield something that can be sent to the bishop. Can anyone provide an example of the type of idea or concern that's within the scope of this synod?

I hope and pray this is in good faith but my cynical side says that this pope already has his agenda and he is waiting to "listen" to those concerns that match it, though I hope I'm wrong about that.

The Vatican has been consistently citing 1 Corinthians 12 and 1 Corinthians 14 where Paul is teaching about the spiritual gifts/charisms that the Holy Spirit gives for the building up of the Church.  These gifts are not just given to Priests/clergy but among the laity.  Synodality is about regaining a community that is able to recognize these gifts given by the Holy Spirit and be less of a bureaucratic institution.  Where the clergy are more the shepherds and not so much the princes.

Edited by Mercedes

We're going to have group sessions at our parish as I think will all parishes and we are to submit our "ideas" to the bishop who will distill them and send them to the Pope? Correct? I still don't understand what it is they are looking for.

What I would like to see addressed is that there be more traditional Masses, emphasis on Catholics putting the basic right to life first when considering candidates to vote for and never voting for abortion candidates, and cleaning up the music in the Novus Ordo Masses. But I don't know if that's what they're looking for.

I don't have a good feeling about this because I suspect they already know what they're going to do and will sift out from what we submit to validate it.

I've been a Catholic for 27 years and always trusted bishops and the Popes, but since Francis, that all changed...

Edited by Vernon

What resources has your parish, diocese or Bishops' Conference provided ahead of the group sessions?

For instance the Diocese of Salford's page is here, with various downloadable PDFs including the questions to be discussed, for prayerful consideration ahead of time.

The England and Wales Conference of Bishops' page is here, including a timeline

The Vatican's page is here.