An Old School Catholic Message Board

Check out this delightful new TV series about a Catholic sister!

nikita92

Screenshot_20220226-102745(1).png.03c769a06949e65918630fcecabf0632.png

‘The Sister Boniface Mysteries’: the rare show that gets the Catholic Church (and nuns) right.'

Written By Jim McDermott

Edited by nikita92
Spelling

• nikita92 changed the title to Check out this delightful new TV series about a Catholic sister!

I like the Father Brown programme, and the brilliant, odd Sister Boniface was very good in her guest appearance in series 1. Her "own" programme was disappointing. However, some of the later episodes are an improvement - the one with the Sister whose brother (and entire family) are thieves is hilarious. (You should see huge Alfie disguising himself in a nun's habit. The dialogue is very funny. His Sister sees part of her vocation as atoning for having a thief for a mother - and this in a family of them - but she's a down-to-earth sort, not the sort who wears hair shirts.) It's not of the quality of Father Brown, but has a few entertaining episodes. (I didn't like the first or second episode at all.) 

BTW - For those of you who don't have access to UK programming, I'm referring to the recent television programme, set in the post-war years and beyond (into the 1960s), where the meddling but endearing Father Brown is the star. He's based on Chesterton's creation, but there are many differences. :)

@gloriana35, I'll give a later episode a chance. But #2 was offensive, and painful for me to watch.

For American viewers, it's available on BritBox, which is a subscription streaming service. I love British mysteries, so this is my viewing indulgence (BritBox, not Sister Boniface, alas!).

Meanwhile, in the US, I'm eagerly awaiting the new series of "Call the Midwife," which I think is absolutely wonderful. It begins here on March 20.

I just saw the last episode of Call the Midwife series 11 last Sunday. I think you'll find there is plenty to ponder in series 11, even if it's getting to be a little on the 'soap' side. (The Turners are soapy.. the rest is a bit like a soap.)