An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Life and COVID-19 Vaccines

LuciaMaria

Hi everyone, I found this site recently, and this is my first post here!

I've been discerning religious life, but I was wondering if religious communities in general are requiring vaccination against COVID-19. I am not vaccinated, and I don't think I will get vaccinated. Does anyone have any information on this? I'd imagine that sisters who work among the elderly or the dying may have to get it, but I'm not really sure how common of a requirement it is.

Thanks!

It's pretty common among the communities I am familiar with..even cloistered or fully contemplative communities because the risk of harm in the community (nevermind anyone the community may serve) is huge. I don't know any communities right now in my area that have not vaccinated.

Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking I might have to check with any particular communities I'm interested in because they probably differ considerably. Good to know that a good chunk of communities seem to be requiring them though

Almost every community I know of requires vaccination, (including boosters) not only of members but of any staff or visitors, even to the chapel--IF they allow visitors. I am grateful for this concern regarding the health and safety of members, and others. I honestly do not think they differ considerably.

Ok, thanks so much! I really appreciate the answers, especially because I wasn't really sure where to find information on this

You will find the most accurate information regarding individual  requirements from the congregations themselves. If you remain unwilling to be vaccinated this is likely to be seen by most (if not all) congregations as a sign that you do not have the necessary dispositions for formation. It’s important in religious formation for a person to be teachable, to be able to see more than one side of something, to be willing to reflect on your opinions and experiences and often do things differently. You might be young and healthy, and not see a vaccine as currently necessary for your health; older sisters in the congregation are likely to see things rather differently. 

Certainly Pope Francis is on record as recommending vaccination, so I would expect religious communities to pay attention.

Since many communities have elderly members with chronic health conditions, and live in close proximity to one another, vaccination makes sense, even if they do not have an active apostolate.

I was present (as a guest) in "my" community when vaccination became available. The prioress at that time made clear that the vaccination was voluntary, but it was also pretty obvious that for example the work of some sisters simply required vaccination.

So it's really worth talking with the community you're interested in. It may play a role how effective the vaccine is as a protection for others, i.e. the older and frail sisters in a community (that changes when Omicron arrives). Maybe also Novavax would be an option for you.

I know for certain that there are communities in which none of the sisters are vaccinated. It just depends on the community.

There have been numerous news stories of communities which lost many, many members due to Covid, before the vaccine was available, and when it was still difficult to get. This was tragic. Many of these sisters were elderly and frail. The communities were devastated by what happened, even those who lost "only" one or two members. 

Most communities I know see getting vaccinated as a pro-life decision, and one of social awareness and concern. And, as @Antigonos said, Pope Francis has called getting vaccinated the moral thing to do, and there is a vaccine mandate at the Vatican. 

fides' Jack

It would probably be a good idea to check out communities with younger, more conservative and traditional members.  

9 minutes ago, fides' Jack said:

It would probably be a good idea to check out communities with younger, more conservative and traditional members.  

Most healthy communities (spiritually, psychologically, etc.) have members of a range of ages, including the elderly. This also means that they have been in existence long enough to have proven themselves. Oh, and "conservative" people, including sisters are not immune from becoming infected. Ask the Michigan Felicians, who lost 13 members within just a very brief time. They are quite conservative (and very lovely). 

fides' Jack
Just now, Nunsuch said:

Most healthy communities (spiritually, psychologically, etc.) have members of a range of ages, including the elderly. This also means that they have been in existence long enough to have proven themselves. Oh, and "conservative" people, including sisters are not immune from becoming infected. Ask the Michigan Felicians, who lost 13 members within just a very brief time. They are quite conservative (and very lovely). 

You're right, but there are many unhealthy communities (much more so in my area) that are mostly elderly.  

Sisters who are not elderly and that don't have multiple comorbidities are not at serious risk with covid.  

So yes, choose a healthy community that has a wide range of ages, and who are more likely to avoid the covid vax.

In the UK, even to visit communities would mean you having had two vaccinations plus booster and then to take a COVID test the day of your visit. And it is simply to ensure that the health and safety of both parties is protected to the best of one’s ability. There are a lot of communities who have lost sisters

1 hour ago, fides' Jack said:

You're right, but there are many unhealthy communities (much more so in my area) that are mostly elderly.  

Sisters who are not elderly and that don't have multiple comorbidities are not at serious risk with covid.  

So yes, choose a healthy community that has a wide range of ages, and who are more likely to avoid the covid vax.

Nope. But then, on the other hand, I am happy to follow the advice of medical professionals and the Holy Father, rather than an anonymous and ignorant fanatic on the internet. Praying that others feel the same.