An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about Professions

adoro.te.devote

adoro.te.devote

My question is kind of a little detail that I can't seem to find an answer to... anyone know what is the significance of the rose wreath crown that Sisters receive at their Profession? Also, is this something that happens only in contemplative orders or all of them? I know some have a crown of thorns (Passionists). It's just a bit of research that I'm doing. Maybe someone who has discerned in a community would know? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, adoro.te.devote said:

My question is kind of a little detail that I can't seem to find an answer to... anyone know what is the significance of the rose wreath crown that Sisters receive at their Profession? Also, is this something that happens only in contemplative orders or all of them? I know some have a crown of thorns (Passionists). It's just a bit of research that I'm doing. Maybe someone who has discerned in a community would know? Thanks!

First of all, this is not given in all or even most congregations, not even of contemplatives. So you would have to ask particular congregations. Not even all monasteries of the same order have the same customs. Ask the community where this practice occurs. 

adoro.te.devote
12 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

First of all, this is not given in all or even most congregations, not even of contemplatives. So you would have to ask particular congregations. Not even all monasteries of the same order have the same customs. Ask the community where this practice occurs. 

Oh I see! Ok, thank you. I didn't realize that this was so particular to communities

The Poor Clares and the Passionists receive a crown of thorns, as well, to symbolize their espousal to the suffering Christ. (The Poor Clares receive a crown of roses, though, when they are clothed!)

Others, indeed, receive a crown of roses; I can think of several communities without even having to "think" about it. It does seem to be more common. It certainly has nuptial connotations with the adornment of the bride, but also that promise of the crown salvation to those who persevere in this life to the end. 

You will nearly always see a crown of some sort with those communities that have chosen to keep many of their older customs.

adoro.te.devote
29 minutes ago, JHFamily said:

The Poor Clares and the Passionists receive a crown of thorns, as well, to symbolize their espousal to the suffering Christ. (The Poor Clares receive a crown of roses, though, when they are clothed!)

Others, indeed, receive a crown of roses; I can think of several communities without even having to "think" about it. It does seem to be more common. It certainly has nuptial connotations with the adornment of the bride, but also that promise of the crown salvation to those who persevere in this life to the end. 

You will nearly always see a crown of some sort with those communities that have chosen to keep many of their older customs.

Thank you, that's very helpful to know! :)

It indeed always did vary greatly according to the community.  In the (active) Franciscan community I entered, Sisters wore a crown of roses for first vows, a crown of thorns for perpetual. 

This is a custom that varies so much within Contemplative communities. The Poor Clare community I know best in the UK at Arundel does not have this practice any more at any stage of formation. Entrance into the Novitiate is a private ceremony held outside Mass in the Community room with a simple ceremony where the Abbess clothes the Sister. The Sister chooses her own readings and hymns. And yet if you look at the website of the Barhamsville Poor Clares in the US, they have the bridal gown with a crown of flowers and also flowers pinned to the Sister’s habit. The Clothing itself seems to be private in the Chapter Room but it takes place in the Context of Mass. So I guess it is about asking individual communities what their custom is. Hope that helps!

Lady Grey, Hot
8 hours ago, Mhairi said:

The Sister chooses her own readings and hymns.

That's so cool. I'd ask if that is typical for these types of things, but I'm betting the answer will be that it varies based on the community.

Yes, I think so. Just to say that there is a set formula the Abbess uses for the actual Clothing of the Novice but the Novice chooses two scripture readings which are special to her as well as hymns for the beginning and end of the ceremony. I obviously can’t speak for other communities. The Profession ceremonies follow the same pattern in terms of the to-be professed sister choosing music and readings but this is done within the Mass with the local Vicar for Religious being the main celebrant. The sister can invite any other priests she or the community knows to concelebrate.

NadaTeTurbe
On 3/12/2022 at 4:09 AM, Lady Grey, Hot said:

That's so cool. I'd ask if that is typical for these types of things, but I'm betting the answer will be that it varies based on the community.

Whatever you ask on Phatmass, the answer will be "it varies based on the community" :p