Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can a Catholic's non-Catholic spouse have a funeral in a different religion?


Recommended Posts

Anastasia13
Posted

Can a Catholic set up for example a Buddhist funeral service for their deceased spouse who was Buddhist? I see that this is respecting the wishes of the non-Catholic, but doesn't this affirm that religion too?

(I am fully aware that their is a debate about Buddhism in particularly being a religion, but it covers some aspects of traditional religious thought such as what happens when we die and what is our goal in life. While I ran into this example recently, you could substitute with another religion if you prefer.)

Catholicmom97
Posted

I was under the impression that if you weren't catholic you couldn't be buried in a catholic cemetery, or at least thats how it use to be? So I'm sure if a catholic was married to a non catholic theyd be able to set it up how ever the deceased wished to have it

Anastasia13
Posted
17 hours ago, Catholicmom97 said:

I was under the impression that if you weren't catholic you couldn't be buried in a catholic cemetery, or at least thats how it use to be? So I'm sure if a catholic was married to a non catholic theyd be able to set it up how ever the deceased wished to have it

Good point. I guess that makes sense for why they would have a funeral in the other religious tradition.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...