Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Similar forums? (This one doesn't have good membership)


Recommended Posts

Posted

are there similar forum with a good membership? this one doesn't have a good membersip

Posted

catholic forums or something like that were there 2 years back..That had a decent membership

Posted
On 4/2/2022 at 4:47 AM, PadrePio said:

are there similar forum with a good membership? this one doesn't have a good membersip

Go recruit people to come here.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 4/2/2022 at 8:17 PM, PadrePio said:

are there similar forum with a good membership? this one doesn't have a good membersip

Hi PP - could you state what you consider to be a 'good' membership please?

Regards........Barb

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Almost a month late, but

 

CAF had excellent membership and engagement, but even it couldn’t survive. The other Catholic forum I’m on is active but specialized to a very particular field, and I bet the vast majority of other Catholic forums are either dead, dying, esoteric or quite insular.

Since it isn’t 2010 anymore, this is as good as it gets.

Posted

We should rebrand ourselves as an alternative Catholic social media option to all the woke giant ones out there. 
 

Wait. Elon Musk just bought Twitter. Darn. 

Posted
On 4/2/2022 at 4:47 AM, PadrePio said:

are there similar forum with a good membership? this one doesn't have a good membersip

You mispelled "phorum".

Posted
10 minutes ago, dUSt said:

We should rebrand ourselves as an alternative Catholic social media option to all the woke giant ones out there. 
 

Wait. Elon Musk just bought Twitter. Darn. 

Which brings up a genuine point

 

if you want people to use forums more, talk to friends of yours who have a poor relationship with social media and get them to make the switch. I get my fix on sites like this and generally only visit maybe 20 times a year. It’s much healthier and generally more meaningful than 1000 hours on Facebook.

 

Additionally, if you look at CAF in its latter days, it was basically Facebook or Reddit with a Catholic theme, complete with allegations of abusive moderation and comment threads consisting of hundreds of pages of “no u haha” or “you cant be one of us unless you adopt [ridiculous opinion] and if you disagree you’re basically stupid.” Its high engagement wasn’t necessarily a good thing, as perhaps *most* of that engagement was garbage. Engagement here is low, but there are actual substantive conversations on the rare occasion two+ people log on in the same week.

Posted

Plus, I just redesigned the place!

Nihil Obstat
Posted

Honestly there is a really good argument to be made that the forum model is a less toxic form of social media. As a harm reduction strategy. I am increasingly coming to think that the downsides of social media are far outweighing its acknowledges benefits. It still has its problems, but I think the sense of community and the longer form of interaction is a big plus.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Honestly there is a really good argument to be made that the forum model is a less toxic form of social media. As a harm reduction strategy. I am increasingly coming to think that the downsides of social media are far outweighing its acknowledges benefits. It still has its problems, but I think the sense of community and the longer form of interaction is a big plus.

Exactly!

No secret algorithms to force feed stuff onto your timeline. No advertisements for things that your phone overheard you talking about.

Now if we can just convince all the Catholics in the world to spend less time on FB, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok, and more time at the OG forums that have been around longer than any of them!

Nihil Obstat
Posted

If you can convince all the Catholics in the world to do literally anything, then I will follow you right to the gates of Mordor.

  • dUSt changed the title to Similar forums? (This one doesn't have good membership)
Posted
On 4/27/2022 at 11:46 PM, dUSt said:

Plus, I just redesigned the place!

meh

Posted
2 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

meh

It's better than your design.

Posted
On 4/28/2022 at 8:00 AM, Pooooma said:

Almost a month late, but

 

CAF had excellent membership and engagement, but even it couldn’t survive. The other Catholic forum I’m on is active but specialized to a very particular field, and I bet the vast majority of other Catholic forums are either dead, dying, esoteric or quite insular.

Since it isn’t 2010 anymore, this is as good as it gets.

which is the the you are referring to?

CAF had good membership and engagament..I think half a million

Posted

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. It had probably 50,000 regular users and it still ended up belly-up.

Posted
5 hours ago, dUSt said:

It's better than your design.

your defensiveness is endearing if not pedantic.

Posted
2 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

your defensiveness is endearing if not pedantic.

Nobody even knows what that word means.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...