Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

I have a lot of questions about the Navarre Bible. Can you help me?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm still trying to put together my complete set, but have questions about the differences between the different editions.

Like, what is the differences between the New Testament paperback editions besides their covers? For example, here's the 2nd edition of St Matthew and the 3rd edition of St Matthew:

navarre-matthew2nd.jpg.ddc9250b6e7bac03fe29c998ade2a074.jpg navarre-matthew3rd.jpg.cc7081c4341d14ea5351071e753e6fad.jpg

I have another question. Is there a difference in the commentary if I buy all of the individual NT paperback editions vs getting the 3 volume hardcover edition of the NT?

navarre-NT-3rdEdition.png.8e3e4e3e4f329697f1a93e740f55f21a.pngnavarre-NT-2ndEdition-hardback.thumb.png.8b31936110935cfc025d8fd40d0e6e4c.png

Posted

Cool trading cards :smokey:

Posted
2 hours ago, ardillacid said:

Cool trading cards :smokey:

This didn’t answer my questions at all. 

A Yearning Heart
Posted

Preface might cover the edition differences?

Posted
8 hours ago, A Yearning Heart said:

Preface might cover the edition differences?

How can I read the preface if I don't have them yet?

Posted

I think you would need to buy it.

Posted
2 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

I think you would need to buy it.

But how do I know which versions to get if I don't know the pros/cons of the different editions?

Most unhelpful phorum ever. I knew that guy was right when he said we had bad membership.

A Yearning Heart
Posted (edited)

Maybe see if there's a pdf version anywhere to see what these look like or ask around who owns/uses these to see what they think

Edited by A Yearning Heart
had another idea
truthfinder
Posted
On 4/21/2022 at 12:11 PM, dUSt said:

I have another question. Is there a difference in the commentary if I buy all of the individual NT paperback editions vs getting the 3 volume hardcover edition of the NT?

 

I went digging through some Amazon reviews and it looks like the one volume hardcover is very different commentary from the individual ones.  Based on a picture someone posted there of the front notes, it seems like many of the editions are very different.  I guess you'd actually need someone who had all the versions you were interested in who can give you side-by-side comparisons

Posted

Could you check a library that might have more than one edition? Or perhaps could you write to the publisher? Inter-library loan? 

Posted

Y’all are presenting great options, but I was hoping to find someone who already had them because I am lazy. Lol. 

Posted
On 4/22/2022 at 5:02 PM, dUSt said:

But how do I know which versions to get if I don't know the pros/cons of the different editions?

Most unhelpful phorum ever. I knew that guy was right when he said we had bad membership.

 

15 hours ago, dUSt said:

Y’all are presenting great options, but I was hoping to find someone who already had them because I am lazy. Lol. 

Sorry your sloth causes our unhelpfulness and bad membership.

 

tinytherese
Posted

Is there a Catholic bookstore within driving distance where you could maybe compare the different editions?

Posted
On 4/25/2022 at 9:10 PM, tinytherese said:

Is there a Catholic bookstore within driving distance where you could maybe compare the different editions?

No. :(

Do not fret fine people of phatmass. I ordered some off the internet. All my questions shall be answered soon!

Posted

Since y’all were little help, I had to solve this mystery myself. I am now in possession of the three editions of the NT I was questioning. 
199EF3B1-8E9C-4602-B2EB-6ABFFE5332EF.jpeg.02605e9169ba1fa312f000adcd0d4153.jpeg

First, the hardcover edition and the newer softcover edition are the same format inside—with the hardcover bundling several of the NT books into one volume. 
 

Now to compare the softcover editions. I’m comparing the second chapter of the Gospel of St John. 
 

5539D5A4-632F-4859-B461-7C3347EF36B8.jpeg.73263dba377198dcf74e4e470ff41ab1.jpeg

25BF73CC-A663-490A-B216-BD918EFE154D.jpeg.7741e753d7a8f63460ebe228fb6928da.jpeg

The older 2nd edition has the Latin text, while the newer 3rd edition has a short intro to the chapter and puts the commentary into two columns. The actually commentary is the same. 
 

Now you know! You’re welcome. 

Posted

 Let us know how it goes!

(Years ago, the commentary was available through daily emails on the Scripture readings – – I wonder if the list still exists.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...