An Old School Catholic Message Board

St. Thomas Aquinas on When Life Begins

Francis Coffee

The Church is infallible in matters of faith amd morals, not in matters of science.  Aquinas was in error in matters pertaining to science or biology of the embryo/fetus as such his initial premise is in error; nothing that comes after can be held as tenable.

It would indeed be a matter of keen interest if Aquinas were alive today and was explained biology as we now understand it.  No doubt much of what he expoused would differ from his initial assertions.

I cannot endorse the notion of complex matter being required to contain a human soul.  That would pose limitations to the soul in proportion to the quality of the human body within which it is contained and this notion can quickly go down a very, very dark path.  It is my conviction that the quality or fullness of the human soul, as its inherent value, sanctity and its dignity, are independent of the physical body in which it is contained.

Edited by Didacus

fides' Jack
On 5/25/2022 at 7:59 AM, Didacus said:

It would indeed be a matter of keen interest if Aquinas were alive today

My guess is he would become insane to see the levels that the human race has fallen to, both morally and intellectually.  His mind and his virtue are not compatible with our times.  He'd be forced into permanent solitude.  Most people would think he was crazy and laugh him off.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:59 AM, Didacus said:

I cannot endorse the notion of complex matter being required to contain a human soul.

As the author suggests, there is no point, starting at conception, at which "complex matter" does not exist.  Given our post-modern knowledge of how DNA combines at conception, it seems St. Thomas Aquinas was correct, we just know enough now that we can apply his reasoning scientifically and arrive at conception as the point at which God creates and infuses the human soul.  The matter is indeed exceedingly complex from the first moment.