An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roe v. Wade - Personal Opinion and Law

Luigi

Mario Cuomo said, in 1984, something to the effect that "Personally, I oppose abortion, but I would not impose my beliefs on the nation as law." Many other politicians hold the same view. 

I reply: That argument does not work for any other topic of public debate, and it will not work for abortion, either. I an elected official were to say, "Personally, I support gun control, but I would not impose my beliefs on the nation as law," she would lose all credibility. If a senator or representative said, "Personally, I oppose illegal immigration, but I would never impose my beliefs on the nation as law," he would lose all credibility. Candidates for political office tell voters what they believe, what they stand for, what legislative goals they will pursue; voters decide which candidate aligns most closely with their own beliefs, what they stand for, and their legislative goals. They make their choice for political candidates based on the candidates' stated views. Candidates and elected officials who make this claim are disingenuous. 

All laws impose rules based on beliefs and conviction.

Any politician claiming otherwise is either a liar or useless.