An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roe v. Wade - Anti-Abortion Folks Don't Do Enough to Support Single Mothers

Luigi

little2add
8 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

I believe that Democrats are more likely to believe in the centrality of structural injustice.

4-DAFE409-6850-474-B-8-B4-A-AF37-B7-A722

fides' Jack

I don't understand this attitude prevalent so often that places "politics" as completely distinct from religion.  At this point in time, politics is a religious war.  The sides are not "Republican" and "Democrat", they are those who stand with God, and those who stand apart.  But neither is the truth found in both sides.  Democrat, at this point in time, surely means standing apart from God.  On every single important issue they make sure God knows they are His enemy.  A Catholic cannot in good conscience remain or vote Democrat.  They are the party of satan.

It is not, "Democrats are right on x and y, and Republicans are right on a and b".  Democrats stand for evil on every single point now, and they must be opposed.  There is no longer a single issue the Democrat party stands for that is more in line with Catholic moral teaching than any other party.  They don't even try to hide it anymore.  

Again, Republicans are not much better.  They stand with the Democrats on most issues, and try to hide their allegiance, all the while leading us little by little, deeper and deeper into satan's grasp.

The Democrat party is for those who long to lunge head-first into hell.  The Republican party is for those who want to make the same journey but step carefully down the side of the abyss.

All that's left is prayer, penance, and sacraments.  And soon the sacraments will not be available.

"I don't understand this attitude prevalent so often that places "politics" as completely distinct from religion." 

I agree. Politics is part of American culture, and religion is part of American culture - really any culture. And it's not possible to isolate cultural elements or disentangle them one from another - each element of culture informs all the other elements of culture. 

Norseman82
On 5/24/2022 at 5:50 PM, fides' Jack said:

And it's also true that Catholic organizations are largely responsible for the creation of pregnancy centers and mothering homes that specifically cater to these babies that we would rather see live than die.  Pro-life people have a record of providing the most, and the best, support for single mothers.

Not to mention the fact that the pro-aborts harass pro-life pregnancy help centers.  

Norseman82
On 5/29/2022 at 1:23 PM, Nunsuch said:

So—even if you are correct, which I don’t concede, innocent children should suffer? How very pro-life (and Christian) of you.

Reminds me of the hostage-taker who says "meet my demands or the  kid gets it"...

No wonder people reject the church, with such self-righteousness and judgmentalism. 

Well, "back in the day" when society was more "self-righteous" and "judgmental" (at least in sexual matters), wasn't Mass attendance higher, less divorce, more vocations, less cohabitation, single motherhood (and fatherhood) was more because of a death of a parent instead of a conscious sinful choice, no fear of running afoul of the "pronoun police", etc.?  

So—even if you are correct, which I don’t concede, innocent children should suffer? 

No, innocent children shouldn't suffer. In a previous post, I stated my conviction that no American wants to see an another American go hungry, thirsty, naked, homeless, uneducated, etc., especially children, which is why we all allow the government to deduct taxes from our hard-earned paychecks.

However, no taxpayer-funded social services are meant to provide 100% of everything to anyone. Social Security is not supposed to be a retiree's sole source of income; Medicare doesn't cover 100% of medical costs; Medicaid  covers more, but not 100%. Likewise, Aid to Families with Dependent Children doesn't provide everything every mother could want for every one of her children; the program often called "food stamps" is technically named the SUPPLEMENTAL Nutritional Assistance Program - it's not intended to provide all of a household's food; no school or school system can educate any child 100%; county clinics provide basic health care but not boutique health care - I could go on. 

The point is that social service recipients of GOVERNMENT programs are expected to do their part, too. And in the case of a mother-and-child, she may feel like it's not enough. And she's probably right. But the child's father should also be contributing to the support of the child. The child's grandparents COULD certainly contribute to the support of the child. Most American citizens are already spending their own hard-earned dollars - those that the government allows them to keep - on supporting their own children, so they expect the actual parents of the actual child to provide most of the child's support. 

If orders of Catholic nuns (or other organizations) want to establish programs funded by voluntary donations that provide a higher level of care - everything the mother could want for all of her children - it would be fine with all the rest of us. Perhaps international conferences could be attended virtually, and the cost of air fare and hotels could be contributed to church-based programs  that provide the kind of care an unwed mother really deserves and which we hard-headed taxpayers decline to provide. 

But there's also the basic economics - carrot & stick, supply and demand. The more a program provides, the more people will line up to get their share. Which is why tax-funded programs don't provide everything to everyone.

little2add
On 5/29/2022 at 2:34 PM, Credo in Deum said:

Democrat social programs create safety nets for sinful behavior

It actually encourages it.

Fifty years later, president LBJ’s Great Society plan has left our country in which fewer workers enjoy employer pensions and health care, 31 percent of children live in single-parent families (up from 12 percent in 1960), household wages have long been stagnant, and inequality has reverted to levels we have not seen since the eve of the Great Depression.

Book-Review-Great-Society-by-Amity-ShlaeUnfortunately, the legacy of the Great Society is one of hubris, and of more destructive creativity than creative destruction.

Welfare programs designed to provide for those who were poor dis-incentivized hard work.

Tax rates meant to redistribute wealth starved investment in starting and expanding businesses that would have employed more people at higher rates of pay.

Indiscriminate programs to provide for single mothers and their children discouraged marriage and the propagation and maintenance of nuclear families, and rewarded promiscuity and the rearing of children born out of wedlock.

All of these together damned generations of poor Americans to a vicious cycle of higher crime, substance-abuse, poor education, and low economic opportunity.

Edited by little2add

little2add

“The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not ‘produced’ by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.”  —Catechism of the Catholic Church, 366

• 1 month later...
tinytherese

You want to help mothers after their babies are born? Why not donate to and or volunteer for pro-life groups who do support them? These places exist. These include crisis pregnancy centers who want to do more for mothers, their babies, and even fathers, but lack funds or people to take on these projects. Are you aware of certain laws or practices which make it harder for mothers to choose life? Why not advocate for these changes and team-up with other pro-lifers to make these changes?