An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just started discerning

futuresister

futuresister

Hi!

So, I have just started discerning and I am completely TERRIFIED. I don't know where to start. Since I am majoring in education and I like their charism, I am thinking about contacting the Nashville Dominicans. Has anyone discerned with them?

Don't be completely terrified! It could be a great adventure! Actually, it will be a great adventure with Christ no matter where you end up, especially if you keep faithful to prayer and the advice given to you by trusted vocations directors!

Do you have a spiritual director? Think it was discussed in a different thread so I won't keep talking about it but it's super helpful.

I know some Nashville OP Sisters and have a great friend who's an Ann Arbor Mary Mother of the Eucharist Sister in First vows (again the differences between these two convents have been talked about heaps in other threads and you might not have any interest in the DSMMEs!) 

Prayers for you! 

I think I'd start by thinking do I feel drawn to contemplative/enclosed or active.   In the past folk had to send off for information but now a lot of it is online. So you can read the various websites. Then maybe think about a spiritual director. Either a priest or a sister. 

Edited by GraceUk

Also, many communities, including the Nashville OPs, have vocation stories on their website. Have you read those stories? Do they resonate with you? If so, this may (emphasis on *may*) be a good fit. But don't just look at a single community at this early stage. If you are drawn to teaching, there are literally dozens, even hundreds of communities which focus somewhat or mainly on education. Are you attracted to this particular expression of the Dominican charism? That is actually the most important thing.

Sponsa-Christi

I agree with the points about visiting more than just one community, but the Nashville Dominicans are a good community to "get your feet wet" with discerning in general. From what I know, even if you visit and don't feel called to discern further with them, they're pretty good about recommending other communities you might try getting in touch with. They also make contacting them to discern relatively easy, and sometimes the hardest part about discernment is just taking the first step. 

benedictaaugustine

Aso just keep in mind if you’re feeling always terrified and anxious and stuff, the Lord is of PEACE! Read discernment of spirits to check whether this is typical fears during desolation, or something you should pay attention to. Our desires tell us. 

I agree with the other posters but would add something else - as someone noted, there are a lot of communities; some are very new.  While you want to do the will of God, this is your life.  Be sure the communities you consider are established and sound and on a firm financial footing.  Obviously this isn't the first question you ask, but it's important.

MaryMagdalene

I'll just throw out that I filled out the contact form for the Nashville Dominicans, and they sent me a huge packet of flyers and such about their community.  I'm pretty sure I'm called elsewhere, but if you're at all interested in them, I'd at least fill out the form and then you'll have a bit more to work with.  Even if you decide that's not the community for you, they included and bunch of stuff like sisters' vocation stories that may help you with your discernment.

Also definitely get a spiritual director!  Doesn't have to be anything fancy.  I was able to start meeting with one of the staff members at the Catholic center for my university, and she's been super helpful!

• 2 months later...
catholicamama

Nashville is wonderful but without question you should also check out the DSMME.  They have a new vocation director and a retreat coming up in the Fall.  Good luck with your discernment.