Jump to content

New Role for Sr. Mary Catharine, OP


Pax17

Recommended Posts

For many years, while she was vocations director for her community (Summit Dominicans), Sr. Mary Catharine provided a wealth of information here on VS.  She has now become prioress of a community in the Bronx, NY:

https://www.facebook.com/monialesop

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting - thanks for posting. The Bronx monastery had perhaps 12 or 15 nuns (based on what I could see in their newsletters), but recently the monastery in Lancaster, PA closed, and those nuns (maybe 6 or 7?) chose to transfer to Corpus Christi monastery in the Bronx. And they have a novice, too! May Sr. Mary Catharine go in peace to love and serve the Lord by serving the Corpus Christi community. 

Edited by Luigi
Fixed a typo: I originally wrote ST. Mary Catharine. Getting ahead of things...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's amazing news! I always loved reading the things she wrote on summit's blog, I pray she will lead the Bronx community with as much wisdom as she formed her noviciate. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sr. Mary Catherine's contribution and wealth of knowledge here on VS was always greatly appreciated and respected! 

Years back, I posted a question on here about "mature discerners" etc and Sr MC answered with an in depth explanation that was both sensitive and highly informative..of which I was very appreciative of; Especially, coming from a religious who is "behind the grill"! O;-}

Question- How do these religious find out about these open position(s) within another community? 

Do they "apply" for them just like a employment position? (so to speak) Or do their respective bishops refer them or flat out assign them to it ?

Are they also permitted to turn down a transfer? 

It must be exciting and sad at the same time (bitter sweet) I would imagine...seeing how one is leaving their "sisters" they have lived with for several years! 

I wish Sr. Mary Catherine all the best in her new journey/role to/in another community! 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's more likely that the Sisters in the Bronx community knew of Sr Mary Catherine's gifts and qualities and didn't have someone with those gifts among themselves and so elected her. Perhaps they had talked to her Superior too, to see if she would be allowed to accept. It's very likely that there was some dialogue beforehand- even if it was just a 'throwing around of ideas'. While it may have been totally out-of-the-blue, it's probable that Sister knew she might be/could be elected.

They don't apply for the position. I think they can say 'No' if they have a serious reason... not just because they don't want to- probably more if their own community needed them or if they were ill. I'm not clear on the Dominican constitutions, but I know for other similar Orders (by similar, I mean cloistered Religious/ monastic), they can elect a Superior from another community and the election is always spoken of as being ordained by the Holy Spirit... so turning it down is a grave business. 

I don't think in these communities the Bishop would have any influence of the decision- the Constitutions of the Order would govern the decision and not the Bishop. The Bishop would only really have jurisdiction over such a decision if the monastery was under his authority.. I think.

Edited by Tessa
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know of a Benedictine monastery who had elected a Prior Administrator (3 year term) from a different monastery in the same congregation and asked him to stay as their Abbot, but he still had professed vows for his "original" monastery and so was free to go back after his time as Prior Administrator. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lea said:

I know of a Benedictine monastery who had elected a Prior Administrator (3 year term) from a different monastery in the same congregation and asked him to stay as their Abbot, but he still had professed vows for his "original" monastery and so was free to go back after his time as Prior Administrator. 
 

Yes, but Benedictines of course take a vow of Stability, which Dominicans do not. The Benedictine vows are different from the formulary for most other orders or Rules.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes they do, but they can also change their vow of stability to a new monastery/different monastery for grave or good reasons... I suppose like the Prior Administrator Lea mentioned, if there had been a good enough reason for him to remain as Abbot, then he could have gotten permission to change his vow of stability after a period of probation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Tessa said:

Yes they do, but they can also change their vow of stability to a new monastery/different monastery for grave or good reasons... I suppose like the Prior Administrator Lea mentioned, if there had been a good enough reason for him to remain as Abbot, then he could have gotten permission to change his vow of stability after a period of probation.

He would not need "permission." He would simply make that decision. It is up to the individual, and no one else, to change stability in a Benedictine context.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 7/1/2022 at 4:34 PM, Tessa said:

It's more likely that the Sisters in the Bronx community knew of Sr Mary Catherine's gifts and qualities and didn't have someone with those gifts among themselves and so elected her. Perhaps they had talked to her Superior too, to see if she would be allowed to accept. It's very likely that there was some dialogue beforehand- even if it was just a 'throwing around of ideas'. While it may have been totally out-of-the-blue, it's probable that Sister knew she might be/could be elected.

They don't apply for the position. I think they can say 'No' if they have a serious reason... not just because they don't want to- probably more if their own community needed them or if they were ill. I'm not clear on the Dominican constitutions, but I know for other similar Orders (by similar, I mean cloistered Religious/ monastic), they can elect a Superior from another community and the election is always spoken of as being ordained by the Holy Spirit... so turning it down is a grave business. 

I don't think in these communities the Bishop would have any influence of the decision- the Constitutions of the Order would govern the decision and not the Bishop. The Bishop would only really have jurisdiction over such a decision if the monastery was under his authority.. I think.

 

The current Constitutions of the Dominican Nuns stipulated that a Nun elected as prioress via postulation can accept or refuse the election.

In the case of refusal, the sub prioress in capite must convoke another elective chapter within a month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, this is correct. The postulation goes to Rome for approval as well. 

And so hear I am in da Bronx! At the end of my term I go back to my own monastery. 

www.corpuschristimonastery.org  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...