Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Has anyone else gone to the original papyrus and verified what Libbie saw?

 

A Yearning Heart
Posted

Here's the article abstract: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/harvard-theological-review/article/abs/was-martha-of-bethany-added-to-the-fourth-gospel-in-the-second-century/6CBD2C9576A583DD02987FE836C427B7#article 

Here's a lengthy discussion on the translation (see comments below the blog, including comments from Elizabeth and others): 

http://thetextualmechanic.blogspot.com/2018/08/a-text-without-martha-implications-of.html

I got a headache reading it.

Lady Grey, Hot
Posted

Interesting piece, though one point puzzles me. "Magdalene" being a title is treated as a turning point. But what exactly does it mean to say that she is "the Tower"? What is the broader implication I am supposed to be getting from that?

Posted
On 7/31/2022 at 10:55 AM, Lady Grey, Hot said:

Interesting piece, though one point puzzles me. "Magdalene" being a title is treated as a turning point. But what exactly does it mean to say that she is "the Tower"? What is the broader implication I am supposed to be getting from that?

I think the author of this article is a very "progressive" Christian that is trying to create some controversy. Looks as if she's implying that there was a power struggle between Peter and Mary Magdalene of who Jesus really meant to be the head of the Church.

Posted
5 hours ago, dUSt said:

I think the author of this article is a very "progressive" Christian that is trying to create some controversy. Looks as if she's implying that there was a power struggle between Peter and Mary Magdalene of who Jesus really meant to be the head of the Church.

I vaguely feel the same way. All of this is, of course, way above my pay grade. I don't know any of the original languages, I don't know what scrolls we have, or what's contained in them. But it feels like... if the history of the Church comes down to a handful of mistranslations or editorial/transcription alterations (I have no idea how many) , then we've got bigger problems that that - Jesus didn't state his intentions clearly enough when he was on earth, or something? I mean, I don't remember reading "Thou art Mary (or Magdalen) and upon this tower I will build my church." 

I will say that I've always found the Biblical Marys confusing. It would be so much clearer if people had used surnames in Biblical times. Drat the luck (or the culture of the place & time)!

I will also say that Mary (Magdalen/of Magdala) has gotten a fair amount of respect, at least from the Dominicans for the last few centuries, as the Apostle to the Apostles. She's the patron of Dominicans, though I don't know when all that started. But the image of the tower somehow embodies the idea of proclamation, or 'go tell it on the mountain,' or 'shout it from the rooftops.' 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...