An Old School Catholic Message Board

Let's bring back the president who played golf a lot

fides' Jack

fides' Jack
On 3/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, Didacus said:

I'll take Putin over Trudeau and Biden combined to be honest.  Even though he makes bad choices (obviously), he at least is genuinely a patriot of his nation.

It's true that he can form a coherent sentence.

6 hours ago, BarbTherese said:

..............was that patriot or fanatic?........................

I don't always agree with the man of course, and I would agree he takes it too far at times (Ukraine of course is the huge example of the day).

But at least he is not seeking to destroy the nation he is governing... 

BarbTherese
8 hours ago, Didacus said:

But at least he is not seeking to destroy the nation he is governing...

My two cents worth:...................he may not be seeking it (not too sure of that though), but.................

I think Putin puts his own ego as transcending what his country needs.  Very much like Hitler who regarded himself as Germany, Putin, I think, regards himself as Russia.  Putin is a dangerous man, dangerous to Russia and to the world.

Ukraine is fighting a proxy war for the west.

Edited by BarbTherese

fides' Jack
On 3/31/2023 at 4:58 PM, BarbTherese said:

Ukraine is fighting a proxy war for the west.

This definitely seems to be true.  And nobody seems to want the war more than the West.

BarbTherese

Putin started the war and I am confident he would be happy to have it end, providing it was in his favour.

The West may want the war with Ukraine to continue rather than engage in WWIII by provoking Putin further through boots on the ground.   Possibly.  I think the only profit in times of military confrontations are the manufacturers of weaponry.

The West may be gambling Ukraine will win before the situation escalates into nuclear.  Therein the real risk I think.  Putin, I think, is gambling the West will not again use nuclear to end war.

There are a few potential scenarios, in my book, and Putin's possible fall from grace is high on the cards.

It would be good to have a Universal day of Prayer and Penance to end the war in Ukraine.  

MASTERS OF WAR

BarbTherese

What is the strategy of war by proxy?

The development of the strategy of war by proxy or vicarious belligerency is the result not only of the invention of nuclear weapons and of the consequent need for the superpowers to avoid coming directly into conflict with each other.

What is the primary purpose of a proxy war?

Proxy wars involve the sponsorship of actors by an external state to influence a violent conflict's outcome for the external state's own strategic purposes.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03071848108523403?journalCode=rusi20#:~:text=The development of the strategy,into conflict with each other.

3 hours ago, BarbTherese said:

What is the strategy of war by proxy?

The development of the strategy of war by proxy or vicarious belligerency is the result not only of the invention of nuclear weapons and of the consequent need for the superpowers to avoid coming directly into conflict with each other.

What is the primary purpose of a proxy war?

Proxy wars involve the sponsorship of actors by an external state to influence a violent conflict's outcome for the external state's own strategic purposes.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03071848108523403?journalCode=rusi20#:~:text=The development of the strategy,into conflict with each other.

We are thus still in a cold war?  If Ukraine is the US proxy, does that not make Russia the proxy for China?

BarbTherese
59 minutes ago, Didacus said:

We are thus still in a cold war?  If Ukraine is the US proxy, does that not make Russia the proxy for China?

Not of necessity, I don't think.   There was no reason for a communist country i.e. Putin's war to be proxy for China.   Probably Putin invaded Ukraine in a desire to regain what he regarded as Russia's property anyway.

China, nor any communist country, is actively assisting Putin's war.  There is no real proxy.  I think China has merely officially supported Putin in the United Nations.  I don't think any other communist country has done this.

We are certainly no longer in a cold war with Russia.  Putin has broken through the impasse, the Mexican standoff.

.........from a very rickety armchair indeed.............

BarbTherese
2 hours ago, Didacus said:

If Ukraine is the US proxy, does that not make Russia the proxy for China?

You just could be right.  I could stand corrected, I think, since China has come out and officially supported Putin.

More and more predictions are coming out claiming the USA and China will be at war within the next 3-5 years...

I can say that I have never in my memory been aware of a time when we were closer to nuclear war as we are now...

BarbTherese
On 4/5/2023 at 1:26 AM, Didacus said:

I can say that I have never in my memory been aware of a time when we were closer to nuclear war as we are now...

Possibility. 

"Pope Francis: After a nuclear war, humanity would have to ‘start from scratch’ "      HERE

Quote from Pope Francis reminds me of a movie I watched last night: Noah.  Excellent acting from Russell Crowe especially.  At one stage, the script runs "I thought the world would be destroyed by fire."

"No, it will be water" and for Noah it was.  The movie is more about destruction of mankind due to ingrained sinfulness and what remains after the flood, than the actual story of Noah and the flood. Plenty of reading between the lines can be done.   Excellent movie.                                                                                                                                                                                 

BarbTherese

I am reminded too of the Cuban Crisis in President JFK's time.  Fear abounded we were heading into nuclear war then. It was averted by JFK's brave stance against threatened aggressive action by Russia. He refused to be intimidated.  Grace was on our side then, Gifted to JFK, and a cause for Prayerful Hope for what is happening today can be averted too.  Certainly, the brave stance against Russia by the Ukraine is bravery indeed with most of that country in ruins, or a large proportion of it rather.  Ukraine refuses to be intimidated and fights on in defense of itself and the West.  It is a defensive war as well - see the CCC #2309.

Maps of Russian aggression in Ukraine:

https://www.ft.com/content/4351d5b0-0888-4b47-9368-6bc4dfbccbf5

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60506682

DIVINI REDEMPTORIS  https://www.vatican.va/content/pius-xi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xi_enc_19370319_divini-redemptoris.html

Pius XI, March 1937
ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PIUS XI
ON ATHEISTIC COMMUNISM
TO THE PATRIARCHS, PRIMATES,
ARCHBISHOPS, BISHOPS, AND OTHER ORDINARIES
IN PEACE AND COMMUNION WITH THE APOSTOLIC SEE.

(I haven't read it......yet.  Just glanced through it here and there.)

Tonight, for the first time since shifting here, I have been able to catch up with International News on SBS.    I see that French President Emmanuel Macron has visited China, unhappy about Russia and more so than anything else planned for discussion.  Also, that North Korea is making nuclear noises a bit louder.

Heart of Jesus, Prince of Peace, have Mercy on us all

Come Holy Spirit, come

Our Lady Queen of Peace, pray for us. 

quote-they-also-serve-who-only-stand-and

Oremus

Edited by BarbTherese

fides' Jack

Putin did not start this war - the United States did.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:19 AM, BarbTherese said:

Putin started the war and I am confident he would be happy to have it end, providing it was in his favour.

I admit that I've been too ignorant of the history of Ukraine.  The more I find out, the easier it is to excuse Putin - not completely, but to the point that his aggression, which we thought was the initial move, is at least understandable.  I'm still not a supporter of Russia's moves in 2022, and I'm against this war in general (which is ultimately going to serve the antichrist), but the reasons are becoming much clearer.

The west was openly destroying the Russian culture in Ukraine, with intent.  That in itself was warfare.

No - Putin and Russia did not make the first move towards war.  NATO has broken their agreement with Russia time and time again through the years.