An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictine Daughters of Divine Will coming to the USA

Feankie

The Benedictine Daughters of Divine Will, currently located in Italy, have just announced they will be building a Motherhouse in the Diocese of Knoxville, Tennessee. Several professed sisters will remain in their convent in Italy, while Mother Gabrielle Marie (formerly a PCPA) and the rest of the sisters will be coming to the U.S.  

I wish communities would consider coming to the Pacific North West!

The Southern states have a ton of various religious communities all over!! 

Of all the states the daughters could have moved to, she chose Knoxville!! And... the distance between that and Birmingham is only 257 miles! Go figure!!

BTW- thanks for posting!

On 10/13/2022 at 12:23 AM, nikita92 said:

I wish communities would consider coming to the Pacific North West!

The Southern states have a ton of various religious communities all over!! 

Of all the states the daughters could have moved to, she chose Knoxville!! And... the distance between that and Birmingham is only 257 miles! Go figure!!

BTW- thanks for posting!

Here is a partial list of women's religious communities with provinces/motherhouses in Washington State.

Carmelite Sisters of Our Lady

Discalced Carmelites

Dominican Sisters of Tacoma

Sisters of Providence (2 provinces)

Benedictines of St. Placid Monastery

Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace

Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary

Poor Clare Nuns

Perhaps the new community didn't want to establish itself where there were already Benedictines, as well as a few other contemplative communities?

That's interesting!!! I'm one diocese (Nashville) away from them. Wish my diocese would have religious communities come to Nashville. 😞

1 hour ago, Rosarium said:

That's interesting!!! I'm one diocese (Nashville) away from them. Wish my diocese would have religious communities come to Nashville. 😞

I mean, you got the Nashville Dominicans, how much better can it get?! 

27 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

Here is a partial list of women's religious communities with provinces/motherhouses in Washington State.

Carmelite Sisters of Our Lady

Discalced Carmelites

Dominican Sisters of Tacoma

Sisters of Providence (2 provinces)

Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace

Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary

Poor Clare Nuns

Perhaps the new community didn't want to establish itself where there were already Benedictines, as well as a few other contemplative communities?

Ok. I think I need to clarify what I was getting at, with my prior statement about communities coming to the PNW.

First, I want to validate and thank you for the list that you made available; So yes, we do have those communities here in the various parts of Washington State.

(BTW- when you google the "Carmelite sisters of our lady" that is what pops up. Carmelite St. Josephs Monastery. In other words I believe, that community does not exsist.)

Now, those ones listed (with the exception of the Poor Clares) are "LCWR" affiliated 

To the best of my knowledge, the only "CMSWR" ones we have on the Western side of the mountains is the Carmelite St. Joseph's Monastery and also the one and only  Benedictine community located on Shaw Island called "Our Lady of the Rock Monastery" which one can only get there by ferry boat.  (Depending on the route taken, can either be one ferry ride or two ferrys) It's located about 80 miles Northwest of Seattle. The are not cloistered, just the Daughters of Divine Will.

In the Eastern part of Washington, is the Poor Clare's (that was mentioned) along with "Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church" both in Spokane.

I feel that there is a unbalance here in Washington and we could use more communities along the lines of those like The Daughters of Divine Will  (who are obvioudly affiliated with the CMSWR) 

In the very early days, we were never a "religious state" to begin with, due to our logging/wood mills industry. 

Mother Angelica should have come to Washington State!! (instead of Alabama) 0:)

2 hours ago, nikita92 said:

Ok. I think I need to clarify what I was getting at, with my prior statement about communities coming to the PNW.

First, I want to validate and thank you for the list that you made available; So yes, we do have those communities here in the various parts of Washington State.

(BTW- when you google the "Carmelite sisters of our lady" that is what pops up. Carmelite St. Josephs Monastery. In other words I believe, that community does not exsist.)

Now, those ones listed (with the exception of the Poor Clares) are "LCWR" affiliated 

To the best of my knowledge, the only "CMSWR" ones we have on the Western side of the mountains is the Carmelite St. Joseph's Monastery and also the one and only  Benedictine community located on Shaw Island called "Our Lady of the Rock Monastery" which one can only get there by ferry boat.  (Depending on the route taken, can either be one ferry ride or two ferrys) It's located about 80 miles Northwest of Seattle. The are not cloistered, just the Daughters of Divine Will.

In the Eastern part of Washington, is the Poor Clare's (that was mentioned) along with "Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church" both in Spokane.

I feel that there is a unbalance here in Washington and we could use more communities along the lines of those like The Daughters of Divine Will  (who are obvioudly affiliated with the CMSWR) 

In the very early days, we were never a "religious state" to begin with, due to our logging/wood mills industry. 

Mother Angelica should have come to Washington State!! (instead of Alabama) 0:)

Let me just point out that "LCWR" communities are legitimate Catholic communities in full communion with Rome, and many (most? all?) have been in existence for far longer than groups like "Divine Will." Many holy and wonderful women belong to these communities. There is no need to dismiss or denigrate them.

Mother Joseph Pariseau, for example, Washington State (and US) founder of the Sisters of Providence is the only sister honored in the US Capitol's Statuary Hall. 

We should thank God for all these religious and stop fomenting unnecessary tensions or divisions. 

On 10/15/2022 at 11:51 AM, Nunsuch said:

Let me just point out that "LCWR" communities are legitimate Catholic communities in full communion with Rome, and many (most? all?) have been in existence for far longer than groups like "Divine Will." Many holy and wonderful women belong to these communities. There is no need to dismiss or denigrate them.

Mother Joseph Pariseau, for example, Washington State (and US) founder of the Sisters of Providence is the only sister honored in the US Capitol's Statuary Hall. 

We should thank God for all these religious and stop fomenting unnecessary tensions or divisions. 

With all due respect Nunsuch, 

You didnt need to point anything out, about the "LCWR"!

I simply stated a truth, and pointed that out about your list.

I was very careful in my wording, so that nothing could be, would be misconstrued in how I worded it or meant by it. Yet, you seemed to somehow read into what I wrote,    "those ones you listed (with the exception of the Poor Clares) are "LCWR" affiliated" was a negative.. by your statement of "dismiss or denigrate them" 

Also, If you reread my orginal post of  "I wish communities would consider coming to the Pacific North West" I wasn't saying that we don't have any communities here! (that wasn't my point) So there really wasn't any need for you to hijack my post and take it upon yourself and make a list of what there is here. (I could have done that myself) But since you did, I simply pointed out what I did!

Washington is more populated with  "LCWR" communities, and I will reiterate that I would welcome more communities like "The Daughters of Divine Will" to come to Washington State. I don't think there is anything negative if a preference would be to add to the few CMSWR communities that we do have.

Also, what I wrote in my 2nd post, was not meant to be viewed as US against THEM, such as you apparently felt it was. So please, let's keep it right where it is here and now. 

Thank you.